PDA

View Full Version : Free Flight in ETO

rohan
April 10th, 2009, 08:21
Hei all,
I've just set up my first ETO install using SdC's sceneries. However, I can't check what it looks like (or to put it another way -whether it looks right at all) because I can't find a way of setting up my start location for Free Flight anywhere but at a PTO airfield. I even substituted a copy of the master ETO airbases.dat from one of Rami's campaigns, but that still doesn't help. Please can someone tell me what else I need to do to be able to fly in Europe,
thanks in advance,
Ro
:help:

merlin2
April 10th, 2009, 08:30
go to free flight; exact location, try N*49.00.00 E*2.00.00, set alt to about 5000 feet. That should get you flying just to the North of Paris
or download and install a few ETO airbases.

have fun

achim27619
April 10th, 2009, 09:29
rohan,

or install some of my European airfields. Then you can start in free flight by selecting on of them.

Cheers

Achim27619

rohan
April 10th, 2009, 11:45
Thanks for those replies, but can you tell me what it is that CFS2 wants besides an entry in airbases.dat ? I will be installing at least all of Achim's ETO airfields after I've gathered all the other downloads of objects that they need. But an airfield is simply a collection of a scenery BGL, a texture BMP and some infrastructure objects (and maybe a GSL file) - if I already have the airbases.dat entry for, say, Woensdrecht (CFS1 version), what else does CFS2 want before I can fly Free Flight from there ?

Thanks again,
regards,
Ro
:help::help:

oldwheat
April 10th, 2009, 12:02
Pen32win did some .bgl's pf the stock CFS european airfields= http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Pen32Win&ammm=15&pap=2#download
They don't have any infrastructure just the location.. Just d/l those & install per the instructions & you should be good to go..

Rami
April 10th, 2009, 14:12
Yes. The airbase.dat gives you the airbase LOCATIONS, but you still have to install the bases themselves.

achim27619
April 10th, 2009, 14:12
rohan,

for free flight you only need to install my airfields.

In my packages are the necessary airbases.dat entries which you can insert in your airbases.dat. The only thing you have to do is to change the [runway.xxx] to make them in accordance to your entries.
So if your last runway number is 53 make the next one 54.
After that you are set up for free flight an Mission Builder.

Cheers

Achim

Cody Coyote
April 10th, 2009, 15:45
The airbases.dat file has nothing to do with Free Flight. It is only used to tell the Mission Builder where the airbases are. Free Flight locations are determined by what air field sceneries are active in your scenery library. If you can't select a European location in Free Flight it is because you either have no ETO airfields installed or they are installed and not activated.

As merlin2 points out, you can always enter an exact location, but installing and activating some ETO bases is the easiest thing to do.

rohan
April 11th, 2009, 08:48
Thank you all for your input. I guess that means that an airfield BGL has something more than a plain ordinary scenery BGL does ...
regards,
Ro
:typing:

rhumbaflappy
April 12th, 2009, 11:35
Hi Ro.

An airfield needs an adf-type BGL to appear in the free flight list. FSSC will usually provide this along with an Area16 ( flatten ) BGL.

Dick

rohan
April 13th, 2009, 00:28
Great ! Thank you, sir, for confirming that ...

:ernae:

miamieagle
April 13th, 2009, 04:35
For starter you can go to Simviation here http://www.simviation.com/cfs2scenery2.htm and install this addon call CFSIIEurope release 1. For CFSII ONLY, (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=cfs&file=CFSIIEuro1.zip)55 . for the Mission builder you have to go to the ares ops ans select Europe. Its real easy once you get the hang to it!

As matter of fact you can make CFS2 a ETO Sim only if you really want. I do not recommend it but its your option!

I like to fly in every theater in World war two myself but its always up to you!

Enjoy the new sceneries!