PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Command Bases 1938-1940

merlin2
April 10th, 2009, 06:08
Hi everyone: I have uploaded a set of five bases in the UK. They should be available soon. They are Filton (originally home of the Bristol Flying School, home of the Bristol Aircraft Company, and also a base for RAF fighter squadrons lbeginning in 1940), Abbots Inch (which became Glasgow International) Turnberry (where Canadian units trained), Chivenor, a major training base in the SW, and Islay, a CC station in the southern Hebrides. The bases are simple, so you can add your own MB or GSL detail.

These have some special features:
First, the scenery is modelled to fit Rhumbaflappy's new oustanding LOD7, LOD8 and Watermasking.

Second, the runways use scenery textures rather than regular runway textures; some are grass, some are dirt. (Apparently the surfacing of runways with asphalt or concrete got going in UK in late 1940 and early 1941.) Filton and Turnberry have grass strips which blend with the airfield to a large extent.

Third, the scenery includes seasonal swaps. They are based on the Seasons for CFS2 prepared by Simonu based on the FS9 ground textures. Users can swap in the appropriate textures for the scenery to match Simonu's seasons.

Fourth, three airbases.dat start-points are included for the MB in each airport. Two at runway ends and one on the tarmac, for a more realistic start.

Fifth, all but Filton have custom night-lighting: I have created a simple API that represents a portable oil lamp contraption, as used in WWII. The lighting is a bit faint, but that makes it a challenge for you and for the enemy as well.

Special thanks to Ravenna for his help! and to the Sim-Outhouse Community for support!

William Renwick AKA merlin2

Rami
April 10th, 2009, 08:00
Thank you so much, Merlin2! :ernae:

Ravenna
April 10th, 2009, 16:20
Thanks Merlin2. I am really enjoying the atmospherics! We should all chip in and send you a bottle of something from Islay (or, as the locals call it, "eye-la")!

merlin2
April 10th, 2009, 17:06
I have a personal connection to Islay. My wife is named Islay-May because of a relative that came from Islay; we visited for a week once and had a wonderful time. And I love the Scotch. Lagavulin is my favourite, but I can't afford it!

Best wishes

merlin2