PDA

View Full Version : Alternative DC-3

OBIO
April 9th, 2009, 20:01
Has anyone done a really nice DC-3 for FS2004, with VC, freeware. The stocker isn't too horribly modeled, the VC is okay..but it is mirrored and a pain in the butt to paint. Would love one on the level of the work by Jens B Kristensen (I sure hope I spelled his last name right)....as that man KNOWS how to do tube liners like no one else as far as I am concerned....LOVE his planes.

OBIO

EMatheson
April 9th, 2009, 20:24
Nope, not for freeware.

However, the MAAM-SIM DC-3 is pretty cheap... $30 for a CD set with around 10 different models, oodles of liveries (with many more free) and 100% of the proceeds go to keep the real thing flying!
Can't go wrong there...

Ferry_vO
April 10th, 2009, 07:51
The stocker isn't too horribly modeled, the VC is okay..

Once you've compared it to the Maam-sim DC-3 you'll see just how bad MS screwed up theirs..!
The fuselage is way too narrow, and too slab-sided. It looks more like a DC-2 than a DC-3 fuselage.
The Maam-sim version might be getting older, but there are a lot of free updates and additional models, and more paints thatn you can imagine!
http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/r4d_enhance.htm

:)

Motormouse
April 10th, 2009, 09:22
IIRc,someone did a gmax dc3 for fs2002, that works in fs2004.
No VC or panels included so you'll have to search around a bit

ttfn

Pete

sctybdy
April 10th, 2009, 11:57
There is a real nice DC-3C on avsim "dc3cv1.zip". Has a self installer and be sure to pay attention to the flight manual. This DC-3 has no problem having some sort of failure if abused. Pretty neat getting startled by an engine fire or electrical failure when you least expect it:)
It has a real nice Modern and Vintage VC. Also has a passenger and cargo model. I'm not sure if any of this airplane shares anything with the default DC-3, but I sure like it a lot more than the default one.
Hope this Helps.

OBIO
April 10th, 2009, 13:04
sctybdy

Thanks for the tip on the DC-3...am downloading it now. I guess I have become spoiled by all the super nice early tube lines by Jens B, Greg Pepper, Manfred Jahns, Milton Shupe and Crew, and other freeware makers, that the stock DC-3 just doesn't cut the mustard. The majority of the FS2004 stockers I don't even fly....but the DC-3 is one of the prettiest aircraft ever built in my opinion, and I just wanted one that really does some justice to the graceful curves and art-deco styling cues of the bird. And I want one that I can paint up as my personal private DC-3...and the stocker is not all that repaint friendly.

OBIO

WarHorse47
April 10th, 2009, 13:23
There is a real nice DC-3C on avsim "dc3cv1.zip". Has a self installer and be sure to pay attention to the flight manual. This DC-3 has no problem having some sort of failure if abused. Pretty neat getting startled by an engine fire or electrical failure when you least expect it:)
It has a real nice Modern and Vintage VC. Also has a passenger and cargo model. I'm not sure if any of this airplane shares anything with the default DC-3, but I sure like it a lot more than the default one.
Hope this Helps.Be sure to share some screenshots, you got me curious. I have both the MAAM DC-3 and UVIER Team DC-2 and love them both. Always room for more. :jump:

--WH

OBIO
April 10th, 2009, 14:45
Downloaded and installed the DC3CV1 package...and the model is the stock model, the texture sheets are the stock sheets (though the paints that come with the package are nice), VC is the stock VC. It was worth downloading for the paints. The only difference is the panel and the flight model.

OBIO

Desert Rat
April 10th, 2009, 15:14
Dunno, it's been a long time ago, but I remember messing around with some of the Fs2002 Daks for CFS2, I think they were on SimV, R4D's etc, remember them being pretty decent, but that was years ago. Jan Visser maybe? Can't remember if they had VC's tho.

Jamie

sctybdy
April 10th, 2009, 18:01
Did you Try HamFisted flying the DC-3C? Personally I like it for the Random Emergencies.

OBIO
April 10th, 2009, 19:24
I fly everything HAM FISTED with Mustard.

OBIO

PeteHam
April 10th, 2009, 21:05

OBIO

Me too .... probably more than most ;)

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Pete.

stansdds
April 11th, 2009, 05:06

OBIO
There's some other way to fly?

cheezyflier
April 11th, 2009, 05:46
if you go to http://douglasdc3.com/fs2004/fs2004.htm you will find a ton of cool downloads for the dc-3 including the proper flight characteristics. for your cfg. file. there's much more than just repaints to be found on this page.
dc-3.com is an awesome sight, and the guys on their forum have always been very patient with me when i asked dumb questions.