PDA

View Full Version : 'Uptight'

Panther_99FS
April 6th, 2009, 20:33
Xo9nzg4DPrs

Navy Chief
April 7th, 2009, 14:04
Outstanding, Panther!!! Gary Sinise and his band are great!

I wish there was a cd out, but apparently not yet. But here is more that I found:

http://www.ltdanband.com/ltdb_pages/gallery_video.html

NC

Tako_Kichi
April 7th, 2009, 15:15
I don't normally like cover/tribute bands but this band is simply stunning. Their version of 'Baba O'Reilly' is excellent as are most of the other songs on their website. The only one that left me cold was 'Hero' but that may be because I am not that familiar with the original.

Being a 20+ year bass player myself it's nice to see a bassist fronting a band and even getting a solo or two as well!

Panther_99FS
April 7th, 2009, 18:03
Outstanding, Panther!!! Gary Sinise and his band are great!

I wish there was a cd out, but apparently not yet. But here is more that I found:

http://www.ltdanband.com/ltdb_pages/gallery_video.html

NC

Tks Chief
And yep - Sinise & his crew rock! :applause:

tigisfat
April 7th, 2009, 22:57
I wasn't that impressed with them. It's kinda cliche of me to say, but it doesn't get any better than Geddy Lee when it comes to bass players fronting bands.

Tako_Kichi
April 8th, 2009, 04:43
It's kinda cliche of me to say, but it doesn't get any better than Geddy Lee when it comes to bass players fronting bands.
True but you can probably list bass players as front men on the fingers of two hands. We tend to get stuck at the back of the stage with the drummer!

Off the top of my head I can think of the following bassists/front men who have impressed me (for various reasons) over the years:

Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)
Sting (Police)
Mark King (Level 42)
Suzi Quatro (Suzi Quatro) (OK so I guess she's a front woman!'
Stanley Clarke (multiple bands)

I have of course been impressed/influenced by many other bass players but they were strictly 'backline' musicians and not fronting the band.

Panther_99FS
April 8th, 2009, 04:44
I wasn't that impressed with them. It's kinda cliche of me to say, but it doesn't get any better than Geddy Lee when it comes to bass players fronting bands.

Key difference is that Geddy Lee is a musician by trade - Sinise isn't.

Thus this makes Sinise's accomplishments all the more better - and not to mention the "cause" that Sinise plays for too :)

mako8172
April 8th, 2009, 09:30
I am probably into harder music than most... But if you want to hear a killer bassist. Matt Freeman from Op. Ivy/ Rancid. Yes its punk but most people once they hear Rancid really don't think punk in the old school disjointed stuff we are used to. Try a listen, fast but ya might like it1

tigisfat
April 10th, 2009, 22:28
I am probably into harder music than most... But if you want to hear a killer bassist. Matt Freeman from Op. Ivy/ Rancid. Yes its punk but most people once they hear Rancid really don't think punk in the old school disjointed stuff we are used to. Try a listen, fast but ya might like it1

These guys were all from my area. I was little when they were in Op Ivy, but when we were old enough to play gigs we got to know all the guys from Rancid just from playing the same scene. It's amazing what happens when true punk rockers fade back out of the spotlight, they go right back where they come from and play with/for with the same people. The East Bay sound is one that I'll never give up on.

There are a couple frequencies in theatre that aircrews play music on for anyone to listen to. (military aircraft have about a bajillion radios) I made sure that at least one time (while hitching a ride on a tanker) the AOR got to hear Rancid's best album. You know which one I'm talking about.

d0mokun
April 10th, 2009, 23:15
If we're into bassists, I vote Cliff Burton, all the way. I even named my Axolotyl Cliff.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2009, 00:26
If we're into bassists, I vote Cliff Burton, all the way. I even named my Axolotyl Cliff.

(I can't believe I'm doing this twice in one subject, I feel like a one-upper)

Cliff Burton went to my high school. I can't even listen to metallica anymore, because they are such losers. Look up the videos on youtube of them undergoing counseling for all kinds of whiny problems.

grunau_baby
April 11th, 2009, 01:21
True but you can probably list bass players as front men on the fingers of two hands. We tend to get stuck at the back of the stage with the drummer!I wouldn´t count ´im among the best bass-players, but he deserves it´s place:
k4esUPN8SIs
(fits perfectly into the mid 80s "young ones" chaos show)

If it comes to harder sounds my favourite bassline providers are:
1. Paul Raven (Killing Joke) the "God of thunder" indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_U5GSUBpw (rather bad basssound with youtube)
2. Joe Lally (Fugazi)
their most classic baseline, I guess (debut-record): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWSSCYUD4E
3. Kim Deal (front woman) - ex pixies basist
breeders/amps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsId-qVIb4

Regards
Alex

Cazzie
April 11th, 2009, 03:36
Now you see what you got me doing, spending my time all morning watching videos of the Lt. Dan Band when I should be starting breakfast for the family. Tremendous stuff and a tremendous cause, good man. :applause:

Glad you and your family made it through the storms last night unscathed, saw some pix on the news.

Caz

tigisfat
April 11th, 2009, 13:09
what is their cause?

Panther_99FS
April 11th, 2009, 13:22
what is their cause?

They usually play stateside at military bases or overseas for the USO :)