PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at this.........

Brian Bigler
April 6th, 2009, 18:35
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/06/stolen.plane/index.html

Gdavis101
April 6th, 2009, 19:15
Somehow, that does not surprise me a bit. At least they got the plane back in one piece.

GT182
April 7th, 2009, 04:22
He's lucky he wasn't shot down for failing to acknowledge NORAD or the F-16s.... it was an option they had. I say he's in big doo doo in both the US and Canada. Bubba will have a new bunk buddy. :whistle:

cheezyflier
April 7th, 2009, 08:16
did anyone see the video on yahoo this morning?

they showed 2 f-16 fighters, but i swear, with all my heart it looked like it was an image they cut out of a magazine and somehow pasted into the video

azflyboy
April 7th, 2009, 09:53
He's lucky he wasn't shot down for failing to acknowledge NORAD or the F-16s.... :whistle:

Unless he was making a beeline for a major population center like DC or New York, there's no way the USAF would risk shooting down something as small as a 172, since they're really not that threatening.

Despite what CNN and Fox insist, small aircraft make comically bad weapons, since they weight much less than most cars, and are constructed so that they essentially fold up if they impact something.

Shortly after 9/11, a teenager in Florida went nuts and crashed a 172 into a tall building, and caused no more damage than breaking a couple of windows and wrecking some furniture in the office the airplane hit.

In most cases, a U-Haul truck or SUV full of explosives can cause far more damage than ramming a Cessna into something, but the media in the US is hell-bent on terrifying people with the idea that small airplanes are going to kill us all.

Even when some idiot flies into the ADIZ around DC, the response has only been to send up F-16's or Blackhawks and force them down, since an errant missile or cannon shells pose just as much danger to people on the ground (if not more) than the intruder aircraft could possibly cause.

Lionheart
April 7th, 2009, 12:43
I was pretty much neutral on this, figuring the guy was going through a bad time in his life....

..........until I hear that last, latest, tidbit of invaluable information from CNN...

This man is a new immigrant to Canada from Turkey..

Then, it all made sense..

Bill

kilo delta
April 7th, 2009, 13:37
Unless he was making a beeline for a major population center like DC or New York, there's no way the USAF would risk shooting down something as small as a 172, since they're really not that threatening.

Despite what CNN and Fox insist, small aircraft make comically bad weapons, since they weight much less than most cars, and are constructed so that they essentially fold up if they impact something.

Shortly after 9/11, a teenager in Florida went nuts and crashed a 172 into a tall building, and caused no more damage than breaking a couple of windows and wrecking some furniture in the office the airplane hit.

In most cases, a U-Haul truck or SUV full of explosives can cause far more damage than ramming a Cessna into something, but the media in the US is hell-bent on terrifying people with the idea that small airplanes are going to kill us all.

Even when some idiot flies into the ADIZ around DC, the response has only been to send up F-16's or Blackhawks and force them down, since an errant missile or cannon shells pose just as much danger to people on the ground (if not more) than the intruder aircraft could possibly cause.

A small cropduster type a/c can cause a hell of a lot of damage with the right cargo.

That story reminds me of ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust