PDA

View Full Version : ok I did something dumb

datter
April 6th, 2009, 09:50
It appears that at some point I deleted something out of my scenery addons folder that I shouldn't have. Whenever I start up FSX these days it tells me area.115 cannot be found. According to my scenery.cfg this is something to do with Reno, Nevada.

Any idea what I can do to fix this? FSX seems to be taking forever to load up lately too, though I'm not sure that's related.

pointy31
April 6th, 2009, 10:31
Would a restore help? It's got me outta a few predicaments...:sleep:

noddy
April 6th, 2009, 10:54
Try a repair by using the FSX Discs.

cheezyflier
April 6th, 2009, 11:19
don't worry, i do dumb stuff all the time :wavey:

if a repair from the disc won't do it, you may have to do a partial re-install.

i just looked, and i cant find a scenery with that number. mebbe it was an add-on?

Meshman
April 6th, 2009, 11:22
Within FSX Acceleration this points to the enhanced scenery for Reso/Stead airport. Before Acceleration this pointed to the Addon Scenery folder. More than likely (?), at some point you installed something and it went into the Addon Scenery folder, which was #115. Some very poorly setup uninstallers would turn around and uninstall whatever went into this folder and then take out the folder structure itself, which #115 is now Reno/Stead!

Couple of fixes would be to manually make the folder that the Scenery.cfg file points to, like this D:\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\Cities\Reno, adding a scenery and texture folder underneath. But FSX doesn't like active folders without BGL files in them. The other fix would be to reinstall or repair the Acceleration portion of your FSX installation.

And always remember to never, ever let anything install into the Addon Scenery folder.

Lionheart
April 6th, 2009, 12:15
Join the club.

:d

Do you have your honourary membership card yet?

Bill

datter
April 6th, 2009, 13:22
I'll try the manual thing, and if that doesn't work maybe a repair. I just about ditched the entire thing and reinstalled last night. As I said FSX is taking ages to load for some reason. I'll see how it goes with the fixing/repairing tonight. Lesson learned from all this, do NOT tinker with your FSX directories while drinking whiskey.

I'll definitely take that membership card. :)

EDIT: Question about repairing. My FSX is far from default, what's a repair from the Accel disc going to do to things?

harleyman
April 6th, 2009, 13:39
Bad textures can give you long load times....Running a disk repair will hurt nothing...but if it fixes it then you gotta find the offending missing scenery if its places somewhere else by chance....

I LOVE to reinstall FSX and FS9...Can do it in my sleep...

Got my card years ago...Thank you very much.....LOL

datter
April 7th, 2009, 03:32
ok, I did something smart. :)

I went through my addon scenery folder where I found a bunch of crap installed by various missions I downloaded but never flew. I saved what I wanted out of there (just two folders) and moved them elsewhere, then ditched the rest. I then went into FSX and disabled my "addon scenery" entry in the scenery library and the various prompts about missing stuff went away and all is well.

It was still taking forever to load however, so on a whim I deleted my FSX.CFG and let it rebuild and BANG, loads times were back to fast (for FSX) and frame rates went up too. I then carefully added some of the CFG tweaks I had in place before and I'm good to go again.

Considering how close I was to pulling the entire install just the the hell of it, I am relieved.