PDA

View Full Version : New Season at Donington Park

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 07:49
Yesterday, Palm Sunday, was a lovely sunny one here in Central England and classic car fans converged on Donington Park for the HSCC's (Historic Sports Car Club's) first meet of the season.

The circuit is a bit of a mess at the moment because, as those of you interested in F1 will know, they are hoping to host the British Grand Prix, so there is a lot of work being done on the track.

Here are a few pictures to whet your appetites. Hope they're OK as attachments, also I'm experimenting with size - if these turn out too big I'll reduce the next lot...

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 08:24
This was specifically for 1960s & '70s cars with various categories, basically divided between fairly 'normal' cars - a bit like what you might see out on the road - and pure racing machines. I'll try to show the road cars first, then some racers, then some nice ones that weren't competing, but had simply brought their owners!

We have a 'Historic Racing Saloon' class, a little like your American hotrods (Hot Rods?). It's pretty cool seeing a Ford Anglia going at 110mph.

Lotus-enhanced Ford Cortinas are popular. Also some pictures of Triumphs (which I favour above MGs), including the engine of that green TR4 (2138cc - when the engines were exposed, I photographed 'em).

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 08:39
Apologies for poor composition in some of these; I still prefer shooting from a proper SLR to the digital 'camera' which is really just a useful computer peripheral.

Some TVRs, one competing, one parked in the paddock, one outside. You can also see the massive 5 litre engine from that maroon TVR400 #79.

More after dinner if anyone's interested...

P.S. If anyone is an expert, or has any questions I might know the answer to, don't hesitate to post!

Panther_99FS
April 6th, 2009, 09:46
:woot::applause::jump:

wombat666
April 6th, 2009, 10:32
Nostalgia +++ Ralf.
Love those Chevrons and early model TVRs, looks as if there were some nice F2 and F3 (or F Junior) cars as well.
Best of the lot from my point of view, that lovely green Lancia Aurelia coupe .......... :applause:

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 10:56
Glad you like 'em, gentlemen!

Yes, we had Formula Ford, Formula Junior and Formula 3. There were also some 'Classic Racing Cars' from 1965-70.

This F Junior 1961 BMC Huffaker Mk2 caught my eye in the paddock; also a nice F3 Lotus 69, cleverly numbered 69 and almost in the correct Gold Leaf Team Lotus livery. We had one Marlboro car too.

I like to see tobacco advertising on historic racing cars. Have you noticed that Lewis Hamilton's famous yellow helmet has JOHNNY WALKER written right across his head?

Well, I've never seen anybody do anything stupid because they'd smoked a cigarette, but I've often seen some extremely silly behaviour caused by alcohol...

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 11:00
:redface: Let's try it WITH the pictures this time!

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 11:12
That Berlina had actually towed a trailer with a competitor on it - two classics in one - wish I'd seen them on the road.

Had to go home & check books for the mysterious dark blue car which I've i/d'ed as a Daimler SP250 of the early '60s; their only venture into the sports car field.

(Only photographed the Porsche because that lady's top matched it so nicely...)

A superb Mustang. You hardly notice them in the US, but they really stand out in Europe. I saw more yesterday than in the whole of the rest of the year in England, but I'll see plenty in NEW England in June!

Ferry_vO
April 6th, 2009, 12:14
Nice collection of classic cars! :applause:

Did you get to drive your own classic round the track? :d

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 13:20
No, she's a stately 42-year old and sat quietly outside (photo to follow). We will be entering the Aviva Rally, going down to Silverstone, later this year, however! :checkeredflag:

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 22:09
A few more for now, camera film to follow when developed.

Line up of pimped Imps!

Two interesting buildings at Donington: the old Boiler House and the famous Red Lodge which gives its name to the first corner after the starting grid.

Not sure if I posted that Lister Jaguar yet. Won't hurt to see it twice if I did.

Starting Grid at another event, 2 or 3 years ago.

The MacLaren Hall inside the museum there, a somewhat astonishing room.

Two pictures of my contribution. I think that was two years ago when we were allowed inside the circuit, but now it's mostly closed off to get ready for F1. On Sunday there were a lot of Yellow Flags, the racers having to go carefully due to construction. Will have to go & check out some other historic tracks nearby - maybe Mallory Park?

Ralf Roggeveen
April 6th, 2009, 22:28
That obviously wasn't edited by 0-1 Driver in 2006, a bit of Gremlin activity here, chaps! :help:

One more for now, showing the old Dunlop bridge, now tragically no more, with a prewar Silver Arrows Merc going rather cautiously round the track (a couple of years ago). And a close-up of that Mercedes which was, of course, beaten by Auto Union at Donington in '38.

Ferry_vO
April 7th, 2009, 02:56
Just the Wheatcroft collection is reason enough to visit Donington one day. :applause:

The first Mac on the right side (Only the pointy nose is visible) was one of their worst cars, at least until this year it seems! They had to widen the chassis of that car to fit Mansell's big @$$ in.. Even though this was one of the first cars with a 'shark fin' that was seen on every car last season, the chassis itself was barely driveable.

Donington is one of my favourite GTR2 tracks, quite bumpy but the first downhill section is a great ride once the car is properly set up.

Some in-game shots of Donington, some with a slightly more modern 'Audi vs. Mercedes' fight!

Ralf Roggeveen
April 7th, 2009, 10:37
Good stuff! :applause:

You can see the Dunlop bridge & the Red Lodge in your screenies - they've done the whole track pretty well. There are still a few ads for rich local butcher's Lazenby's and their sausages (!), but not as prominent as they used to be. Don't know if James Bond/George Lazenby was any relation.

That Merc is cool, van O!