PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

winslow33
April 4th, 2009, 15:18
:wave:
I've never attempted to hook up two computers before. I dont really know where to begin. :redface:

Here's what I need it for: We have high speed wireless at our house for our laptop I'm using right now. I rebuilt my desktop a little while ago and wanted to hook it to wireless too. Being that both have ethernet cards, I figure I can hook them together direct connect with the proper cable. From what I've read it seems easy enough. But there's one thing I'm a little confused on. If I connect the computers together (They are both XP Home), can I get internet on the desktop just like that with a simple cable? Or do I need to buy a bunch of gear? I'm kinda hoping I can just buy a $20 cable and plug 'em in but I wanted to make sure it works before doing anything.

By the way, what's a good length to keep the cable at? The two computers are about 35-ish feet apart.

Thanks in advance:typing:

Dangerousdave26
April 4th, 2009, 19:15
So what you really need is Ethernet LAN 101

First off describe your current internet connection. DSL/Cable and how are you connected to it now?

Yes you can use a simple cross-over cable but you want to share internet at the same time and that makes the crossover cable solution almost undoable.

I will go further once you describe what you have and how you use it. Be hardware specific.

winslow33
April 6th, 2009, 13:42
First off describe your current internet connection.

Our internet connection we have now... Well, we have a WiFi that we pay for, so we just pick up our signal on the laptop. I would just put in a PCI card into the desktop and run it, but the signal where it is isn't really all that strong (in the basement, when I bring the laptop down there the internet is pretty slow.) and somebody once told me that the cards for a desktop computer arn't as strong as the ones built into a laptop.

Is this what you need to know?

Moparmike
April 6th, 2009, 14:27
If that's your current installation, I would check into a wireless card for your desktop rig. Unlike most laptops, most PCI-slot wireless cards still have an external antenna. You can extend this antenna up nearer to a window to improve the reception...either with a purchased extension cable or like I did with a homebrew chunk of wire. My desktop down at the farm talks with a wireless router and it gets better reception than my laptop in the same location...mainly because of the ability to change the orientation of it's antenna.

You might need to check whether your wireless provider will allow you to have more than one machine hooked up to their network or not. I think most of them will...