PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G1000 Screens... Any Questions?

Lionheart
April 3rd, 2009, 22:01
Hey guys,

Some of us have no or little experience using the Garmin G1000 panel screens, (TV screen looking Avionics systems that have all the gauges built into them, usually having at least 2 screens, one being quite similar to a GPS, and one looking vagely like an artificial horizon).

Does anyone have any questions on them? How they work? Where what is?

Would anyone like some tutorials on these things? I thought I would start this thread to kind of bring down the barrier of fear or 'edge' that might exist for some on this new form of instrumentation craze thats beginning to take over the General Aviation sector. Check Australia Post Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?australia-post/) and Jaycar Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?jaycar/).

Bill

Lionheart
April 3rd, 2009, 22:11
I'll start off.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the G-1000 Garmin screens.

One is called the PFD, one is the MFD. The MFD is basically a GPS map system, and the PFD is the Primary Flight Gauges. (Yep, that easy... GPS and Gauges).

Here are a couple of screenshots of the screens with labels on them to what all does what.

Note; Radios are on the top strip. Nav/GPS data are on that bar also in the center. Primary radios, COM1 and COM2, are on the left, NAV1 and NAV2 are on the right. Note that they have standby freq's like a regular King system. Here is the wierd thing. The radios strip or radios bar along the top, is on both the PFD and MFD. (Think of PDF file and reverse DF and that helps you to remember 'PFD' screen).

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/NAVIGATION_PFD-945x569.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/NAVIGATION_MFD-945x569.jpg

Bill

warchild
April 4th, 2009, 01:41
I cant wait till someone introduces virtual vision into fsx gauges so we can have a 3d topo layout of the land we're flying over ( or through if we're too low) great shots of the g-1000.
Question. In fsx, does the g-1000s mfd contain all the functions listed above or is it more limited like the one used in fs9??
thanks
Pam

cheezyflier
April 4th, 2009, 06:57
man! that delivers alot of info in a compact area! pretty sweet! does the mfd function like the gps, and allow you to pick a destination, and follow a course?

also, how would you set the vertical speed and altitude?

n4gix
April 4th, 2009, 08:44
There is a very comprehensive manual for the G1000 in the FSX Learning Center...

...you know, the one place people never bother to look... :faint:

Lionheart
April 4th, 2009, 09:12
man! that delivers alot of info in a compact area! pretty sweet! does the mfd function like the gps, and allow you to pick a destination, and follow a course?

Yes, it functions like a GPS. It basically is a GPS in FS. Added gauge bits are added into the gauge code for the surrounding elements such as the radio selectors.

also, how would you set the vertical speed and altitude?

Vertical speed is set at the actual Auto Pilot; VS control with a knob that raises or lowers the climb/descent rates. This is a slightly different Garmin system to the usual, that uses a seperate Auto Pilot. (Note the missing AP controls on the LH side of the screen. This type of Garmin seems popular presently, as its much cheaper then the Garmin with the AP controls in it).

Bill

Lionheart
April 4th, 2009, 09:23
I cant wait till someone introduces virtual vision into fsx gauges so we can have a 3d topo layout of the land we're flying over ( or through if we're too low) great shots of the g-1000.

Hey Pam,

I cant wait either, though I do not know if it will ever happen.

I had sent in some idea's for this to the lady in charge of FS Code and instrumentation; 'EnGauged'. I had some idea's for using a 'periscope view' and using a rendering 'view' without ground terrain and weather that would create a '3D look'. I never heard back though. This was about a year ago.

It would be cool to show the terrain polygons and all. Might be massive on the resources hit though in FS and on normal computers.

In fsx, does the g-1000s mfd contain all the functions listed above or is it more limited like the one used in fs9??
thanks
Pam

On the one above screen shown, my firm makes that one and I presently do not have the ability to move the map to see outside the boundaries. Mindstar make a high detail Garmin system, and so does Nick Pike ( www.fs2x.com ) that do have the AP controls and map 'browsing' capabilities. They also have Weather and Traffic. (I wish I had those.. arrghh..)

Also, the MFD shown above has been rebuilt and will be featured in the new Kodiak with some enhancements over the Epic version (shown).

The MFD, like the GPS 500 series, can accept flight plans, create direct-to flights, and has other features, even approaches, if you can believe that.... Each airport will have several approaches and small map icons show you how to enter traffic.

To get a bit technical on the 'realism' side of a real world Garmin, they feature ALOT (a massive amount) of features and programmable input and data feedback. You can get, for instance, weather screens and readout that look like a view from The Weather Channel online site. You can get traffic in the vicinity. The real Garmins are amazing.

One thing they have, (my system doesnt feature this) is 'layered menu's. An example; On setting the Transponder code (such as 1200), you would go into a menu through the lower keys and go through and select the numbers. It can be tedius in a sim. I made mine to just click on the screen with the mouse. Others though have this actual 'menu' system built into their Garmins for FS.

Now that is getting sophisticated in how these work. I didnt mean to scare people on them. Only to show you the simplicity of what they are. Simply a gauges screen, and a GPS screen.

:d

Bill

Lionheart
April 4th, 2009, 09:28
There is a very comprehensive manual for the G1000 in the FSX Learning Center...

Very true Bill, lol... When I first got FS2004, I spent about 2 weeks in the tutorials, learning ILS approaches, flying a 737, doning 3 point landings in the Cissna.

A ton of invaluable info in the Learning Center in FS, and very well done.

Bill

cheezyflier
April 4th, 2009, 13:29

guilty as charged:redface:

harleyman
April 4th, 2009, 13:57
Excellent stuff Bill... Didn't I see a vid you made with a tutorial about this somewhere too...?

I am guilty as charged to about reading and learning....:gossip: But don't tell...

n4gix
April 4th, 2009, 15:12
Maybe they should have called it the "Pilot's Lounge" instead of "Learning Center..." :friday:

Kind of like my idea to not name critical information "readme.txt" but instead name it" DoNotOpenThisFileEVER.txt"... :173go1:

Lionheart
April 4th, 2009, 20:45
Maybe they should have called it the "Pilot's Lounge" instead of "Learning Center..." :friday:

Kind of like my idea to not name critical information "readme.txt" but instead name it" DoNotOpenThisFileEVER.txt"... :173go1:

LOLOLOLOLOL.......

That would most indeed work! About 1% wouldnt open them then.......

Ren Hoek to Stimpy, his life partner cat friend; "Steeeem-py.. Yooo must nehver touch theee shiny, beautiful, red, glistening button! EVER!!!! or it weeeel eemplode theeee entire yooooo-niverse as weeee know eeeet! DO YOU GOT THAT MAAAAAN????"

....short time later, Stimpy caves in and pushes it...

BZZZZZZTTTT

THibben
April 10th, 2009, 06:29
Will the FS2X Garmin port into the Kodiak with no problem? Will it cause much of a performance hit on a core2 quad 6600 with 4M ram and 8800 GTS?

Thanks in advance

Tom

n4gix
April 10th, 2009, 10:02
Replacing Bill's XML version with with another XML version with even less features make sense, how?

cheezyflier
April 10th, 2009, 10:19
now that i have this system, is there a way to add it to other aircraft in my virtual hangar as a pop-up window?

THibben
April 10th, 2009, 11:10
Replacing Bill's XML version with with annother XML version with even less features make sense, how?

According to Bill's web page that lists available addons, The FS2X G1000 has "Extreme Detail". So I don't quite understand your comment.

Bill if you could help clarify it would be appreciated. Also as listed in my first message, will it port into the Kodiak easily, will it hurt performance much and will it work in Vista 64?

Thanks,

Tom

Lionheart
April 10th, 2009, 14:21
Will the FS2X Garmin port into the Kodiak with no problem? Will it cause much of a performance hit on a core2 quad 6600 with 4M ram and 8800 GTS?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hey Tom,

It will be a performance 'reduction'. Nicks system is elaborate and includes Weather radar, and aircraft avoidence. His features the menu subsystems, etc.

Mine are almost exact on graphics (most of the graphics) but are extremely simple in code complexity.

If you purchase Nicks G1000 or the Mindstar G1000, simply use the exact, same coordinates in the Panel config file, while rerouting the name/location of the newer Garmin panel systems.

Note; the lightmap will need to be edited, as I am 99.999999+ sure that the present lightmap will be off from it. (Misaligned, different graphics regions, etc). Adding a subtle dark gray (lighter dark gray) will enable it to glow at night.

Remember, if you purchase one of those systems, you can use them in other planes too. :d (like the Epic LT. Several have the Mindstar fitted and really love it).

Bill

THibben
April 10th, 2009, 15:26
Hey Tom,

It will be a performance 'reduction'. Nicks system is elaborate and includes Weather radar, and aircraft avoidence. His features the menu subsystems, etc.

Mine are almost exact on graphics (most of the graphics) but are extremely simple in code complexity.

If you purchase Nicks G1000 or the Mindstar G1000, simply use the exact, same coordinates in the Panel config file, while rerouting the name/location of the newer Garmin panel systems.

Note; the lightmap will need to be edited, as I am 99.999999+ sure that the present lightmap will be off from it. (Misaligned, different graphics regions, etc). Adding a subtle dark gray (lighter dark gray) will enable it to glow at night.

Remember, if you purchase one of those systems, you can use them in other planes too. :d (like the Epic LT. Several have the Mindstar fitted and really love it).

Bill

Thanks Bill

Tom

Anneke
April 11th, 2009, 13:11

Bill

:faint:Bill this is all very foreign to me, could you show what I must do to 'align' Nike's G1000 system for the Kodiak 'lightwise'?

Lionheart
April 11th, 2009, 18:32
:faint:Bill this is all very foreign to me, could you show what I must do to 'align' Nike's G1000 system for the Kodiak 'lightwise'?

Hey Anneke,

Oh man.. A can of worms here. Took me a while to learn this.

Three ways. Option One: Make a dark gray bitmap or DDS file and name it pan2_L

What this will cause is the Garmin screens to glow, but all over.

Option Two; Take a screenshot of the panels in FS Panel Studio, rename it to pan2_L.jpg, add a top layer of pure black. Reduce the black layer to about 60 to 85% Opacity so you can see the fonts through the black layer. Make a selection zone over the LCD screen area, and 'Fill' it with light gray. I wouldnt do bright white, too bright... Use a medium to light gray. Burn to BMP or DDS and install to FSX or FS9.

Option Three; Select (selection squares) around each font, arrow, word, etc, that should glow, and copy/paste them onto the top of the black layer. Reduce Opacity very slightly so that you do not see the black zones around the mini buttons and knobs.

Burn to FS texture format and you should be good to go.

I will actually do these many times over until they are just right. Below are two examples. I add a faded edge in the screen zones, and even used some color on the PDF screen that shows reflections of brown and blue from the PDF horizon colors.

Some cool things you can do. But its sophisticated.

If you can make me a screenshot, high resolution, of the Nicks or Mindstars screens after you install them, I can create a lightmap for you.

For those that do not know, a Lightmap allows a normal texture to be illuminated. In this case, we are doing some micro surgery and making only the font, screens, and very selected areas to glow, both slightly and brightly. On mine, I have a cascade light effect dropping down from the top as the panel is illuminated from above and would then be brightest at the top.

Note, below, the grey and black version is the lightmap. It produces only light.

Bill

n4gix
April 12th, 2009, 08:05
Option Two; Take a screenshot of the panels in FS Panel Studio

Why not simply use FS Panel Studio's built-in utility: Tools/Screen Capture... :gossip:

Lionheart
April 12th, 2009, 14:09
Why not simply use FS Panel Studio's built-in utility: Tools/Screen Capture... :gossip:

Hey Bill,

Yep. Good point. For those that do not know, FSPS has a built in screen capture. Take the screen capture and square it off and drop onto the original lightmap, make exact to fit, then create the new lightmap layers over it.

If you do it on your own, the first one might take you a couple of hours. But once you learn how the process is done, you can start doing them in several min's. I must have made 20 myself in the past 2 weeks for that one bitmap.

For repainters that work on panels as well, this is good practice learning to make subtle night glow (realistic looking) in aircraft that feature panel lightmaps. Some neat effects you can do.

By the way, Bill Leaming here is the guru that taught me all of this. Good teacher!

Bill

Cazzie
April 12th, 2009, 15:17
Bill,

If you learn how to set them, the plane will practically fly itself. The Danville CAP have a G1000 Cessna 182RS and it is something else. All you have to do is take-off and land from 600-ft. ground level, when the system kicks out and the pilot takes over.

Really kind of boring in the sim, but if you were a professional pilot, it would be an absolute "must have".

I have the real G1000 Simulator software that the CAP uses to teach cadets and others on the usage of the system. My brother gave me the software, because he could not make hide nor hair of the instructions. I had to learn it to teach it to the real pilots!

Imagine that! A simmer teaching real pilots how to operate their instrumentation! :costumes:'

For those that would like to read the real manuals, go to the Garmin website and you can download them for the particular aircraft you fly: http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=All. Bill's Kodiak is near the bottom the page.

Caz