PDA

View Full Version : Bathurst 1000K

wombat666
October 12th, 2008, 23:51
Won for the third time in a row by Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes drivng the Vodaphone Racing Ford Falcon.
The entire field had varying degrees of unhappiness caused by the DUNLOP control tyres delaminating to a frightening point.
Almost without exception, the left rear was coming apart in chunks up to 18" long and the full width of the tread.
The usual accusations were made of the manufacturer by the usual suspects, but as the DUNLOP rep pointed out, "We supplied over 1200 tyres and the left rears were all bad????
We might be good, but not that good!"
Overdriving seems to have been the primary cause, as the very best drivers had little or no problems.
:kilroy:
Unfortunately, the bloody 'safety' car lead the most laps .............. :banghead:

demorier
October 14th, 2008, 18:44
Surprised at the low numbers of starters for this years race. Normally they are lined up right around the last corner for the start of the race.....bloody fords again, I'm a holden person.

wombat666
October 14th, 2008, 21:50
I remember when over 60 cars lined up.
It seems that nice Mr Cochrane has pegged the numbers down to a cosy level.........bigger slices of the pie to go round.
I'm neither GM or Ford, but I will admit to being a long time supporter of Lowndes and a longstanding dislike of Skaife.
Sprintgas must be feeling pretty stupid, starting and finishing the race with the #2 driver.
Murphy is psycho, Jason Richards could have won it for them.
I would really like to see 'Larrikans' exhaust system a mandatory fitting, it just sounds so brilliant.
:applause:

demorier
October 14th, 2008, 22:54
Don't know much about the "'Larrikans' exhaust system". I'm sure I will be sitting on my arse all day again next year watching the dramas. Agree with the Murphy thing, he was on the wrong end of a stewards decision a couple of years ago at Bathurst....and the trantrum that followed :isadizzy:

wombat666
October 15th, 2008, 02:34
I'm probably being a bit too obscure .....:d.............'Larrikins' was Larry Perkins nickname from our FF1600 days.
Both the Larry Perkins 'JD' Commodores were running a very neat exhaust system, effectively 4 into 2 into 1.
They sounded just so musical ........ :applause:
Way back when F5000 was still doing it for us Aussies, Gary Cooper (Mr. Elfin Car Company) plumbed one of his Repco 5000 engines through a wild bundle of snakes ending in a reverse cone megaphone.
It sounded like a Cosworth DFV on steroids!
Sweet it was.
:kilroy:

demorier
October 15th, 2008, 18:05
I guessed it was Perkins by the name, but didn't know much about the exhaust system setup.