PDA

View Full Version : a knotty problem

merlin2
April 1st, 2009, 05:20
has any one else had the issue where the speed on the HUD is not the same as that on the [shift+Z] info bar? my HUD is clocking almost twice the speed in knots of the other. I think this change occurred after installing a ship or aircraft.

Will I have to reinstall CFS2 to fix this?

thanks

bearcat241
April 1st, 2009, 05:56
Are we talkin' in TRUE AIRSPEED or INDICATED AIRSPEED? You may be getting readings on both, one from the HUD and the other from the ShiftZ readout.

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82924

You should be able to reset this in the sim's Settings dialog in Realism.

merlin2
April 1st, 2009, 06:42
Its not about true airspeed:

at takeoff in the Zero I will be at 80 knots on the top inof indicator bar, but 140 on the HUD.

bearcat241
April 1st, 2009, 07:27
But how can you be sure of that unless you're calculating both in real time?

Quote:

Indicated Airspeed (IAS): The speed that your airspeed indicator inside the aircraft indicates, simple enough.

True Airspeed (TAS): This is your speed relative to the airmass through which you are flying. It differs from IAS because of pressure differences at different altitudes you are flying at. It is not necesarily your speed over the ground.

Forget the ShftZ readout and the HUD for a minute and look at the panel ASI only in flight -- what's it reading? IAS of course. Now which one between the HUD and the ShftZ are reading the same as the ASI? Then the other is most likely reading TAS.

Also, the ShftZ readout is hardcoded directly into the sim engine, but the HUD is controlled by independent gauges: CFSHUD.GAU and HUD.GAU. If by chance these were integrated into some aircraft addon's panel (can't happen with a ship) or influenced by another gauge used in an addon, you might get a change from what you're used to seeing.

Have you tried using the Settings feature for changing IAS vs TAS as i mentioned above?

merlin2
April 1st, 2009, 11:39
the panel shows the same speed as ShiftZ; the HUD is about twice as fast!
the IAS TAS makes no difference.
Anyone else had this problem?

thanks

OTTO
April 1st, 2009, 13:41
By Chance,
Could it be reading kilometers per hour ?
This can be changed by "ctrl+w"

Just Thinkin
OTTO

merlin2
April 1st, 2009, 13:51
right; of course; how stupid; its kilometers per hour;

but ctrl+doesn't seem to toggle it.

OK I found, the U key will toggle;

thanks everyone; I feel stupid, but it's not the first time.

Ravenna
April 1st, 2009, 19:28
right; of course; how stupid; its kilometers per hour;

but ctrl+doesn't seem to toggle it.

OK I found, the U key will toggle;

thanks everyone; I feel stupid, but it's not the first time.

Well, I learned something new! Thanks for bringing this up Merlin. As for stupidity, as I used to tell my students: if everyone who ever made a slip up was stupid, we'd all qualify!