PDA

View Full Version : Raaf a-20 skip-bombing attack

Bill Kestell
March 31st, 2009, 20:33
I got inspired by the skip-bombing package and just had to put this into a RAAF A-20 ... and boy was this ever fun!:applause:

Ravenna
March 31st, 2009, 23:09
Great stuff Bill. I'd like to try that with the ALPHA Boston with the addon solid nose. Hope you are going to post the mission/s.

hellcat44
April 1st, 2009, 02:29
Always nice to see the Havoc creating havoc!

Bill Kestell
April 1st, 2009, 09:44
Hellcat 44 ...Got that right ... an aptly named aircraft to be sure.

Ravenna, allI did was dump a couple IJN ships into "GUNNERY 3" ... that's the mission involved. I've done one for US, Italy, Germany as well. Just substitute the ships you want.

I like these missions because you can fly "test" missions against any ships you want ... in effect you can test both the aircraft and the ships.

miamieagle
April 1st, 2009, 14:56
Nice screen shots Bill Kestell!

But what skip-bombing package are talking about my friend!

Bill Kestell
April 1st, 2009, 17:24
The Skip-Bomb package was put together by Pen32Win and you can find it in the following aircraft:

AF-TR B-25C/D Tokyo Sleeper
AF-TR B-25 C-1 Chatterbox
aftr_ddandhf

I've also put this into ALL of TR's B-25's (well, except the B-25's that are Doolittle Raiders) ... otherwise, all the US versions get the skip-bomb treatment.

It's really neat because Pen used D-bolt's 500lb_GP_c and modified it through some obscure art -or- lost black magic (or some really creative knowledge of how CFS2 works). Regardless, the "500lb_GP_c" now acts like a torpedo ... except it still looks like and drops like a 500lb bomb. I set up my DP with the "500lb_GP_c" in the first position ... followed by 3 regular "500lb_GP_a'" types.

I also set the DP up for "individual" triggers "blah, blah blah, 1, -1" so I have to hit my "enter" button 4 times to drop all 4 bombs. I like it like that because it lets me have just that little extra control over the drop times.

When I make my run, the first to drop is the "c" which does NOT explode on contact with the water (because it thinks it's a torpedo)... but following right after are #2, #3 and #4 which do explode and "walk" right into the target. If you have timed your drop properly, the 4th explosion is the #1 finally reaching the target. (As a torpedo ... it has to run through the water, but you really rarely see the wake because of all the other explosions.)

It takes a little practice to get your timing right ... but like any other form of attack, once you get your groove ... you're in like Flynn!

Hope this long winded explaination helps.

miamieagle
April 1st, 2009, 19:58
I want to thank you both. Thats you and Pen32win for you all your good work. Yes,!I have his planes downloaded but I have not flown with them yet. I will soon dow!

Thank you!:jump:

Pen32Win
April 1st, 2009, 21:26
The whole low down on the Torp/Skip Bomb is in the READ_ME file. It was really a "Test Them All" find. I was checking all of the unused Weapons Classes when I found one that was a Torp I could drop 300 Meters from a ship at 250 Knots and it still went Boom!

If you can see the torp wake from one of these that you drop at 300 meters you must have been looking backwards when you dropped it!! LOL

The Skip Bombing Package is in all of my AF/TR B-25's including the re-release I did of Tondelayo for SC. So you've got:

Tokyo Sleeper
Chatter Box
Dirty Dora
Hell's Fire
Hell's Belles
Hilda/Near Miss
Tondelayo

By changing/editing the DP, Aircraft.cfg, airfile and panel you can fit these mods into the original Green Dragon and SC's Red Wrath also.

Bill, just watch out if you try to use that DP with the AI's. First they'll do what you want and the next minute they'll be trying to dive bomb with a B-25..... Yikes!