PDA

View Full Version : OT Saturn V slow motion

simkid22
October 12th, 2008, 16:17
For those lucky enough to have seen it back when it was the only way to the moon and those who had experienced it through the movie Apollo 13:
http://www.videosift.com/video/Saturn-V-rocket-launch-ultra-slow-motion

Panther_99FS
October 12th, 2008, 16:22
That was mandatory viewing for me as child...

(And being huddled in front of the black & white TV)

Lazerbrainz2k3
October 12th, 2008, 17:05
Don't forget HBO's From the Earth to the Moon. Lots of neat rocket shots in that, from Shepard's Redstone to the Saturn V to the LM.

Wittpilot
October 12th, 2008, 17:10
Speaking of slow motion..... They are going to have a show on Discovery Channel that is nothing but showing things in super slow mo!!!! Looks kind of interesting... I think they are just taking that from Mythbusters since they have a slow motion camera for everything!

-witt

Scratch
October 12th, 2008, 17:15
That was mandatory viewing for me as child...

(And being huddled in front of the black & white TV)

Same here. Those were some good times.

Bone
October 12th, 2008, 17:28
I forgot how impressive that candle was. It's no wonder the U.S. Government didn't care that Werner Von Braun and company were Nazis.

BananaBob
October 12th, 2008, 18:28
Being born the year they walked on the moon, I missed a lot of it, I still love watching, "The Right Stuff" Great movie btw. I thought by now we would be using something other than chemical explosions to travel though, ah, there is still a chance and hope I see it in my lifetime.

glennc
October 12th, 2008, 18:35
July 1969. I was 22 years old, US Air Force Airman Second Class (I think). I don't remember what day of the week it was (Thursday?), about 1PM. I was stationed at the USAF Hospital Tachikawa. Those of us that could get free went to the Recreation Center across the street to watch the "One Big Step". I think there were about 30 of us there. It was one of those days you remember for the rest of your life.

Glenn

PRB
October 12th, 2008, 18:53
Looked like normal speed to me! :costumes:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I remember watching the first Shuttle launch, and being astonished at how fast the Shuttle leaped off the launch pad compared to the Mighty Saturn V, which went up much more slowly.
<o:p></o:p>
Awesome video! And nothing has even come close to the power, almost 8 million LBS of thrust, of that thing. I think the Shuttle is only 2 million and change!

heywooood
October 12th, 2008, 20:04
I was eight and I remember Walter Cronkite's amazement even as he was reporting on it and viewing the same images we were seeing on the ol' vacuumn tube TV...

I wonder how it will be for us that remember Neil Armstrongs 'small step' when the Chinese land on the moon....

I keep thinking of the strategic importance of holding the high ground...:kilroy:

now I don't think we can afford to go back there for awhile - so we should probably start thinking about how this is going to be - and how we should react to it when that day comes.

BananaBob
October 12th, 2008, 20:17
I was eight and I remember Walter Cronkite's amazement even as he was reporting on it and viewing the same images we were seeing on the ol' vacuumn tube TV...

I wonder how it will be for us that remember Neil Armstrongs 'small step' when the Chinese land on the moon....

I keep thinking of the strategic importance of holding the high ground...:kilroy:

now I don't think we can afford to go back there for awhile - so we should probably start thinking about how this is going to be - and how we should react to it when that day comes.

We're going back to moon, I believe we will be using it as a launching point for Mars, I hope I can witness people walking on Mars. :ernae:

heywooood
October 12th, 2008, 20:59
I hope you are right Bob...but with a 700 billion dollar bank bailout, the losses to our manufacturing and export concerns, and the as yet unhalted multi trillion dollar debt we owe China for financing our war on terror...I gotta wonder where the money is going to come from for a sustained Lunar effort by the US....

I don't want to be political in this forum, but from a purely financial standpoint - not an emotional one - I gotta think our next effort will be a long time coming....so it will likely be China landing there next and I'm just wondering how that will play down here on 'mainstreet' in the minds of the people who remember Apollo 11 first hand.

maybe its just too sensitive a subject to discuss here - nevermind

Bjoern
October 13th, 2008, 02:01
Being born the year they walked on the moon, I missed a lot of it, I still love watching, "The Right Stuff" Great movie btw. I thought by now we would be using something other than chemical explosions to travel though, ah, there is still a chance and hope I see it in my lifetime.

You beat me to it mentioning that movie. I simply love it, especially for all the launch and space shots and, of course, the german scientists. :costumes:

"...the specimen inside."
- "Spaceman?"
"SPE-CI-MEN"
:d

Well, I'm too young for memories of watching Neil, but my dad watched "One small step" in west german TV.

Bone
October 13th, 2008, 06:17
I'm just wondering how that will play down here on 'mainstreet' in the minds of the people who remember Apollo 11 first hand.

maybe its just too sensitive a subject to discuss here - nevermind

Americans should remember that we did it almost 30 years ago, with 1960's technology. By the time the Chinese (or any other nation) go to the moon, it could very well be a 35 or 40+ year span from the time the U.S. went there.

We did it last century.

kilo delta
October 13th, 2008, 08:52
Americans should remember that we did it almost 30 years ago, with 1960's technology. By the time the Chinese (or any other nation) go to the moon, it could very well be a 35 or 40+ year span from the time the U.S. went there.

We did it last century.

I remember hearing recently that the computational power involved in the Apollo missions would be equivilent to a modern day calculator!

Regarding "The Right Stuff"..............fantastic movie, though not as acurate as the book.:)

klarm
October 13th, 2008, 20:42
I remember being allowed to stay up late to see Neil Armstrong take that first step. I kind of feel sorry for today's kids, they'll probably never experience the excitement and awe we felt then. Yes the idea of a manned mission to Mars is exciting, but there will never be another "first" like that one. Good video BTW.