PDA

View Full Version : Fsx -> cfs4?

ShockandAwe
March 30th, 2009, 10:28
Hi, everyone.

I'm sorry for this stooge of a question. So, I have CFS3 and IL2/1942. I was just fishing around in the FSX discussion group and found that there is a bomber that can drop bombs... !? Has there been an add-on to FSX to make it into CFS4? Does it obviate CFS3 and IL2? You can dogfight, yes? Are the AI opponents any good.

I'm sorry if this has been hashed over already but I'm new to this part of the forum.

Could you catch me up on this? :help:

Alexraptor
March 30th, 2009, 10:38
Yes and no
I have yet to see anything like realistic hardcore dogfighting but i do know there is a simple payware addon for WW1 combat with biplanes.
And i also know there is an A-10 mission set with ground attack missions, bombing runs, strafing tanks ect.

Prowler1111
March 30th, 2009, 10:43
Our A-6 package drop bombs and it does affect the model visually and physically .
Prowler

Mathias
March 30th, 2009, 10:45
There's only AI that's doing "flightplans" in FSX so no dogfighting.
Bombs and guns are only visual effects, they don't do damage.

Lionheart
FSX doesnt really have shootable or bombable terrain and planes. The developers have to sort of 'mimick' the visuals to make it look like its being shot up and exploding. You cant go after a normal plane and shoot at it and the wings fall off and all.

Would be nice if they had a version that did do this. It would be a good way of venting my frustrations when things are going right at work.

:d

Bill

stiz
Has there been an add-on to FSX to make it into CFS4?

nope

Does it obviate CFS3 and IL2?

nope

You can dogfight, yes?

nope

Are the AI opponents any good.

nope

In my opion all "combat" in fsx is just a gimick, you have to tell the sim what to do, non of the bullets do any damage, non of the bombs do any damage, the planes cant sustain any damage ... so its far from any sort of combat :kilroy: :engel016:

ShockandAwe
March 30th, 2009, 10:47
Its a real puzzle why MS doesn't just take FSX and produce a CFS4 from it. It seems like low-hanging fruit, doesn't it?

Yes, the A-6 thread is what made me ask the question. Prowler, it seems like you could start your own company based on that.

:woot:

Prowler1111
March 30th, 2009, 10:57
Gents:
There are 2 ways of doing it, one if via effects(ie visual effects) and the other is assigning actual ordnance (or cargo, o whatever) which will affect the flight model and in some cases(like our A-6, EA-6B, F2H expansion pack and coming products), it can affect it visually, problem is, it can be done (currently) only on missions..NOW, if you add a scenery model that DOES have a damaged model included to it, when the ordnance hits it(which is a model on itself) will affect it visually (ie destroy it).Sorry to hijack this thread, but at RAZBAM we are fully commited to this (after all, we create military planes)and all i can say is that there is a HUGE surprise coming from an associate developer involving RAZBAM aircraft and combat missions.
As for a CFS4 FSX version, well, i really think its possible to some extent..
Prowler

Alexraptor
March 30th, 2009, 11:03
I think the most probale scenario for air to air combat in FSX would probally be missile combat.
I mean all you really would need to do would be cause collision on impact and not worry about various damage.(yet to hear of a case of a plane surviving a direct missile hit)

ShockandAwe
March 30th, 2009, 11:31
Ugh. Looks like I'm back to waiting for Maddox's BoB:SoW. It seems like FSX has many of the things promised for BoB:SoW already - dynamic weather, etc. Moreover, I know I can run FSX on my mac under bootcamp.

kilo delta
March 30th, 2009, 12:29
Something that might be more easily achievable (?) might be flying air combat maneuvering instrumentation (ACMI) missions with targeting pods. No need for a damage model in that case....though the ability to trigger the oponents smoke system to operate following a "hit" would be cool......Something like this....... http://www.aircombatusa.com/ :amen:

Alexraptor
March 30th, 2009, 13:27
Yeah but what about us ol warbird lovers? That wouldnt really give a great experience since in warbird dogfighting its all about leading the target.

Piglet
March 30th, 2009, 14:10
It would be a good way of venting my frustrations when things are going right at work.

Boy, I'd hate to see what happens when things go WRONG!:faint:

forgeknight
March 30th, 2009, 14:44
Yeah but what about us ol warbird lovers? That wouldnt really give a great experience since in warbird dogfighting its all about leading the target.

Ever try the game Aces High? Fun online game for warbird combat.

Alexraptor
March 30th, 2009, 14:53
Yeah its a decent game but not much of a simulator.
a fusion of Combat Flight Simulator and Flight Simulator X or a Combat Flight Simulator 4 using FSX as base would be the holy grail of combat flight simulation.
Stunning high quality aircraft with ultra realistic flight dynamics, high resolution sceneries and terrain meshes with high definition water and clouds(see Real Environment Xtreme) not to forget global coverage.

Which i think is just the reason why many people would like to see combat/dogfighting in FSX.

stiz
March 30th, 2009, 15:16
Which i think is just the reason why many people would like to see combat/dogfighting in FSX.

actually there isnt all that many in the flight sim group as a whole, strange though it seems, just a few pockets of isolated prop nuts who's sole purpose is to bring about world chaos!! .. allthough proccedings dont begin till after the afternoon nap, o and they dont do mornings due to the colder weather causeing havoc with joints:173go1: :d

Alexraptor
March 30th, 2009, 16:56
Well in my case its not really about world chaos, i just want to re-enact a few battles in unparalleled realism. :P

Lionheart
March 30th, 2009, 18:04
Boy, I'd hate to see what happens when things go WRONG!:faint:

oops.. spelling error.. 'arent'

:typing:

fliger747
March 30th, 2009, 18:58
I have done a piston turn and burn online, which was about like the "hassling" that pilots did agains their cohorts in mock combat in the WWII era. A lot of fun, but not quite the solo game that CFS2 still is. The online tussle was a bit more realistic, as the AI guys never try to disengage.

For the MS future, probably not.

T.

HouseHobbit
February 27th, 2011, 15:03
I have been watching this with some interest.. I build missions for CFS3 and the expansions.. And are eager and hopeful perhaps this may come to the point of real Air Combat..

Until then it is Boring..:sleep:

And with the advances in the expansions for CFS3, and those still coming..:ernae:
It would take a lot of improvement in FSX before I would think to try it..:rolleyes:

Just flying around in circles doesn't do much for me..:banghead:

But again some seen to like it..:barf:

Roger
February 27th, 2011, 15:20
I have been watching this with some interest.. I build missions for CFS3 and the expansions.. And are eager and hopeful perhaps this may come to the point of real Air Combat..

Until then it is Boring..:sleep:

And with the advances in the expansions for CFS3, and those still coming..:ernae:
It would take a lot of improvement in FSX before I would think to try it..:rolleyes:

Just flying around in circles doesn't do much for me..:banghead:

But again some seen to like it..:barf:

Was it really necessary to resurrect a thread from March 31st, 2009 to tell us this?

I don't see the point! Thread closed.