PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim HU-16 Albatross preview (WIP)

tigisfat
March 29th, 2009, 22:17
Well, this news was over at the FS2004 forum, but with no screenies. I set out to put it in the right place, and get screenies.

d0mokun
March 29th, 2009, 22:27
There will be 8 paint schemes included:
- 354th TFW
- Rhode Island USCG
- USAFR CSAR
- USN Mission to Peru
- Chalk's Ocean Airways
- NAS Whidbey SAR
- 53rd ARRS USAF
- USS Currituck SAR

tigisfat
March 29th, 2009, 22:29
Things have been going great for MSFS these days, but our aircraft tend to have the 'toy train' effect. That is to say that they never look TOO real because they're clean. These textures look great because this aircraft looks like it's had some rough times. I love any old military plane that looks beat to hell.

d0mokun
March 29th, 2009, 22:34
Many thanks. Obviously one or two will be clean and shiny, but a lot are quite beaten up. The CSAR birds in particular.

deathfromafar
March 30th, 2009, 00:37
Looks super! I will be buying this work of art for sure!

d0mokun
March 30th, 2009, 00:49
Here's one I just finished off. The rainbow aeroplane of happiness. AKA 354th TFW, USAF SAR.

Bone
March 30th, 2009, 00:49
OK, now we're talking. I haven't bought an AS plane since the forum was axed, but I'm in the mood now.

Dano, how about a guestimated ETA. I know it's tough to do and mgmt frowns upon it, but throw us a bone.

d0mokun
March 30th, 2009, 01:18
Well, I have two more weeks with the company so it has to be done by then.

Guestimate? End of the week (Friday) all going well. Other factors demand it be out for that time really.

deimos256
March 30th, 2009, 01:33
ooooo sexy!

Dag
March 30th, 2009, 03:28
Will there be a fat nosed HU-16B/SA-16B ASW I ask myself, for those Spanish/Greek/Norwegian repaints ? Looking good..

Dimus
March 30th, 2009, 03:34
Will there be a fat nosed HU-16B/SA-16B ASW I ask myself, for those Spanish/Greek/Norwegian repaints ? Looking good..

I second that. A favorite of mine. I served my national service in the unit that kept these flying well in the mid 90's until they were replaced by Orions. The Goofy squad we called them.

MCDesigns
March 30th, 2009, 04:09
Wow, looking forward to this one, looks great so far!! :ernae:

shackleton_boy
March 30th, 2009, 04:18
i'll just wait till they release it as freeware 18 months down the line....

Reddog
March 30th, 2009, 05:12
Less military paints more civvie ones, and a no radar nose and short wing version.Please!

Odie
March 30th, 2009, 05:21
Looks very good !

Dag
March 30th, 2009, 08:28
I second that. A favorite of mine. I served my national service in the unit that kept these flying well in the mid 90's until they were replaced by Orions. The Goofy squad we called them.

And both the ones above served with the RNoAF before going to Greece and our museum now works on the complex task of getting one back to Sola :wiggle:

Boomer
March 30th, 2009, 08:36
Looks great & a pleasant surprise.

I will deff get this, I love seaplanes! :ernae:

jankees
March 30th, 2009, 09:26
looks great, I want one too!

Ferry_vO
March 30th, 2009, 09:34
Who needs paint?? Just give me that bare metal version! :applause:

:jump:

tigisfat
March 30th, 2009, 10:00
i'll just wait till they release it as freeware 18 months down the line....

that's cool; but you must take into account that aircraft that are full-on FSX Sp2 models aren't ever going to get out of date now that Microsoft/ACES has pulled the rug out. The likelyhood of Alphasim releasing freeware of this caliber is slim to none, and it wouldn't be smart business.

AND; their freeware doesn't include sound packs or full VCs. Do as you wish, but don't bank on this aircraft being free down the road.

tigisfat
March 30th, 2009, 10:03
Well, I have two more weeks with the company so it has to be done by then.

Guestimate? End of the week (Friday) all going well. Other factors demand it be out for that time really.

YES!!! C-17 in less than two weeks as well? You did say before that you'd see that one through as well!! God, the only thing I hope for at this point is that the C-17 taxis right.

:woot:

:bananapowerslide:

stiz
March 30th, 2009, 10:20
looks really nice :applause:, i'm not sure if i'll buy it ..thats a lot of switchs and buttons for just 2 engines!! :faint:

pernik
March 30th, 2009, 10:40
YES!!! C-17 in less than two weeks as well? You did say before that you'd see that one through as well!! God, the only thing I hope for at this point is that the C-17 taxis right.

I didn't read Dan's comments in this way. Hu-16 in two weeks yes, but not the C-17. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be very surprised if we see the Islander, HU-16 and C-17 all within two weeks.

oh btw best of luck Dan with whatever your next venture is. AS are losing a valuable asset imho.

6297J
March 30th, 2009, 10:50
I'll buy it. (Somehow :rolleyes:)

wilycoyote4
March 30th, 2009, 11:21
Should look great in DX10 as water effects are good in DX1o, IMHO.

A few resource sites found by googling-----

http://www.hu-16.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HU-16_Albatross

http://www.warbirdalley.com/hu16.htm

Kiwikat
March 30th, 2009, 11:51

Please tell me where he said that?

Rezabrya
March 30th, 2009, 12:28
he said that he would be leaving in 2 weeks and that he was seeing the C-17 project through to the end so he just assumed it meant that it would be done and released before dano left.

6297J
March 30th, 2009, 12:42
he said that he would be leaving in 2 weeks and that he was seeing the C-17 project through to the end so he just assumed it meant that it would be done and released before dano left.

Or ........... he is leaving in two weeks but will be seeing the C-17 through to the end .............. by working on it for an hour or so every week if he can spare the time over the next year or two depending on other commitments and family obligations etc etc.
But through to the end definately:173go1:

centuryseries
March 30th, 2009, 13:28
Give the guy a break! I'm certain the C-17 will get released, but only when it's finished and as bug free as humanly possible!

You wouldn't want it any other way now would you?!!!!! :ernae:

:friday:

wilycoyote4
March 30th, 2009, 13:29
:focus: :focus: :focus: The HU-16, eh ? HEHEHE :ernae: :typing: :amen:

d0mokun
March 30th, 2009, 14:04
6297 is correct- though I'm leaving in two weeks I will be doing whatever work I can on the C17 after that time to see it to release.

I've got a large part in the already previewed releases and whilst it's all fine and dandy for me to leave- I have no interest in pulling the rug from under my comrades feet.

A few more HU16 schemes will be previewed today.

Freeware- sorry you feel that way Henk. Take it up with AlphaSim, not me, nor the HU16.
Variants- only the B for now, sorry.

Javis
March 30th, 2009, 16:29
I said it in the FS9 forum and i'll say it again here ! :

Hot Dang Dan !! That looks Absolutely Fabulous !! Drop Dead Gorgeous !! :faint:

Nice surprise ! :ernae:

I guess no ETA yet, huh...

Edit: never mind, i just read the news at AS. YYIIIHAAAA!! :kiss: :friday: :applause::applause::applause:

cheers,
Jan
<!-- / message -->

ColoKent
March 30th, 2009, 19:02
...this thing is still such a MUST BUY, that I'm gonna have it as soon as I can!

GREAT WORK!

Kent

tigisfat
March 30th, 2009, 22:18

Thank you. That's exactly the assumption I made based on what he said. I said it as more of a question, anyway.

Dimus
March 30th, 2009, 23:27
And both the ones above served with the RNoAF before going to Greece and our museum now works on the complex task of getting one back to Sola :wiggle:

That is very good to know. I wish we could do the same here. We already have a very rare Spit Mk9 and a T-6 under restoration in the museum at Tatoi, where I do my RL flying from. Several other nice warbirds too but few means to work on them.

Brian_Gladden
March 31st, 2009, 04:18
Just to whet your Appetites for the Albatross....

aPOJ5yOElMs

Brian

Javis
March 31st, 2009, 18:55
Appetite soaking wet here ! :friday:

Tantalizing vid, Brian, thanks ! :woot: I shall probabely never see a RW Albatross, not the metal iteration nore the real bird ( i've heard that they can soar 100 miles without a flap of their wings )

Seems she had picked up a lot of water during taxi/take-off run... ( landinggear bays ?... )

Ahhhh!! The sound !! Let's hope AS does as good a job on that as the're doing on the external/internal models !

cheers,
Jan

Reddog
April 1st, 2009, 05:41
Sure looks pretty without that ugly black thing sticking out it's nose.

Brian_Gladden
April 1st, 2009, 07:35
I can say I've seen one in the flesh. Came to work one day two summers ago and this was parked on the FBO Ramp...

Brian

Kiwikat
April 1st, 2009, 07:44
Here's one at EAA Airventure last year. It is a really neat plane up close.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/albatross.jpg

expat
April 1st, 2009, 08:50
Sure looks pretty without that ugly black thing sticking out it's nose.

Yep!!! Sure get's my vote and hope the poly's aren't set in cement yet over at the AS Skunk Works so that we can have a version without the radome. Will make for great private/civil repaints which are a must.

Great video Brian. Sounds are great and that aircraft looks like a very nice example. Interesting how easily she seems to turn in the drink with just differential power and no water rudders. FS does not model that maneouver particularly well with sea planes!

At Fort Pierce FL airport (KFPL), on my last trip there were THREE G-111's (including the very last one made - it's the one in my sig) lined up on the ramp. Walk around was not surprisingly most impressive. If you Google Mirabella Yachts, you will find the site for this KFPL based operation that hires out Albatrosses and repairs Grumman amphibs.

ColoKent
April 1st, 2009, 18:05
....a rounded nose version would be good, along with an SHU-16B (ASW)...and for something REALLY different, a turbo Albatross....

But alas, I don't see it happening-- I'm probably one of the few people here that would be willing to fork out money for the original version AND all three others!

Kent

fsafranek
April 2nd, 2009, 08:10
Some additional preview shots are over on the News page at Alphasim. Can see that there will be a model without the underwing tanks for a little variation.
:ernae:

tigisfat
April 2nd, 2009, 09:50
here they are:

6297J
April 2nd, 2009, 10:27
Wow! :faint:

They look amazing all together!
Thanks tigisfat!

Brian_Gladden
April 2nd, 2009, 11:40
True, they look great, but the bump mapping looks a little overdone. Take a look at the shot that I took of a real one. Can hardly see any panel lines. Same with the other real one posted. The Blue USAF one looks like they just dragged it out of the Boneyard where it's been sitting in the sun for 40 years...

I know some weathering is good but those paints are a bit over the top.... In my humble opinion...

Your mileage may vary, please ignore the man behind the curtain... :friday:

Brian

stiz
April 2nd, 2009, 13:40
agreed on the wear and tear, looks a bit over done, allthough for me the metal one looks fine, guess its just taste, looking real nice all the same :ernae: :applause:

FlameOut
April 2nd, 2009, 14:23
Agreed,.... something about a few [ not all ] of those paint jobs that caused me to raise my eyebrow. I like the ol' girl however!

I haven't made a purchase there since Oct. '08...their Blackhawk.

I keep telling my self, "na, it's just the angle you're looking at it from".. "go ahead and get it"

Navy Chief
April 2nd, 2009, 14:52
I like the "wear and tear" look on the paint jobs. THAT is what Navy aircraft look like in real life. Helldiver, I know you won't like that comment, but it is true!

NC

expat
April 3rd, 2009, 02:43
Well, it should be obvious that I certainly welcome heartily Alphasim's deciding to do the Albatross - they always seem to make the aircraft I like best. :wiggle:

Have some mixed feelings on the wear and tear look. Yes, many of the operational military a/c rarely looked factory fresh - though Helldiver might differ with me in that at least USN WWII era planes were always kept spic and span by the crews.

Today, there are so many civil/private versions of the HU-16 flying (surely the ultimate SUV for someone like me that loves flying, boats and fishing!) that there should also be room for repaints with a more normal, less washed out finish.

Examples:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumman-HU-16A-Albatross/1506849/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumman-HU-16A-Albatross/1506849/L/)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Red-Bull/Grumman-HU-16E-Albatross/1480351/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Red-Bull/Grumman-HU-16E-Albatross/1480351/L/)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Row-44/Grumman-U-16-Albatross/1473691/L (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Row-44/Grumman-U-16-Albatross/1473691/L)

Here's "one I made earlier"

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5869/g111.jpg

Also, military planes that one sees today on the airshow circuit often look factory fresh:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumman-HU-16E-Albatross/1475940/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumman-HU-16E-Albatross/1475940/L/)

In any event, the previews look great and I am sure there will be a variety of artwork and repaints to choose from.

d0mokun
April 3rd, 2009, 03:01
Tried not putting panel lines and dirt on before, and people complained that they were 'too clean'. At the end of the day there will be a paint kit, so everyone is welcome to modify. The effects aren't over done compared to some of the photos I've been working from.

Yes your airshow aircraft are going to be spic and spam, but where's the fun in having a package full of boring panel-line less aircraft with a solid colour all over?

It's worth noting also that a lot of the 'dirt' isn't dirt, it's a heavy gloss surface not rendering well in a screenshot. Don't blame me- I'm not the one that over uses the sharpen tool on every shot..

The blue one has the heaviest weathering in the package. The aircraft was a second line HU16 from what I understand, and focus was more on dangerous CSAR than it was on washing it.

If it's really hurting people I will add one or two variations in that have no weathering at all.

expat
April 3rd, 2009, 03:22
I will add one or two variations in that have no weathering at all

That's most appreciated. Thanks and regards,

expat

d0mokun
April 3rd, 2009, 03:23
OK, how's this chaps? ARRS 'factory fresh'.

I don't personally like the lack of weathering, but then this repaint isn't for me- it's for you guys. See how easy it is to win me over.. :friday:

I've also created a system whereupon you can easily change out the texture.cfg for an alternative one that'll use a 'factory fresh' set of textures.

If people would like to suggest the schemes they'd like in the package without weathering, I will choose the top 3 and add them. That'll mean 9 weathered, 4 'factory fresh'.

Look now I promise nothing, but if I can get some spare time I will do a smooth nose variant. I really can't do the ASW though for I don't have the resources nor the time, sorry.

ATB
Dan.

MCDesigns
April 3rd, 2009, 03:57
While I have no issues with the weathered ones, I do like the factory fresh paint VERY MUCH! Thanks for listening Dan, you are the man! :ernae:

noddy
April 3rd, 2009, 04:06
Dirty or clean, she looks stunning.:applause:

Brian_Gladden
April 3rd, 2009, 04:31
Looks like I will have to get my FSX install working again.... Just for the 'Tross. Looks like A full reinstall.

Brian

PS: Unless you wouldn't mind making an FS9 version. I'm sure Alphasim would have a very long line of folks waiting to buy that....

Dag
April 3rd, 2009, 05:58
No big nose ASW means a pass for me, I'm afraid...

FAC257
April 3rd, 2009, 07:29
When we were stationed at Patrick AFB in the very late 50's and early 60's the HU-16s based there would do touch and goes right behind the base in the Banana River. Our favorite fishing dock on base was located right at the end of our street directly in front of the water landing area.

I loved watching those things.

Mithrin
April 3rd, 2009, 07:48
Thanks for adding clean ones as well. Would put my vote in for the Whidbey one. It'll be good to have both weathered and clean paints. This is a wonderful project!

expat
April 3rd, 2009, 07:51
but if I can get some spare time I will do a smooth nose variant

Fantastic! Dan, thanks so much for your accomodating these requests. We are very much grateful.

Now, here are my three suggestions (I am sure there will be plenty of military liveries anyway) -

Reddog
April 3rd, 2009, 08:15
Fantastic! Dan, thanks so much for your accomodating these requests. We are very much grateful.

Now, here are my three suggestions (I am sure there will be plenty of military liveries anyway) -

YEA:woot:Nice paints schemes there too.

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 08:52
I think the civil variants should be cleaner than the military ones. Believe you me that in times of war we don't care how pretty the paint job is.

You can't please everyone Dan, and I like your paints so far. Please don't clean them up too much.

lawdawg
April 3rd, 2009, 08:57
Nice bird.
Is this supposed to be released today? This seems to be what I come to read from previous posts...
just asking.

Reddog
April 3rd, 2009, 10:30
My big question is will this work with just SP1 installed?

Brian_Gladden
April 3rd, 2009, 10:36
For a civie paint job... Gotta do Jimmy Buffet's Hemisphere Dancer

http://www.bush-planes.com/images/2BuffettAlbatross.jpg

fsafranek
April 3rd, 2009, 12:02
Just to whet your Appetites for the Albatross....

Brian
Thanks for the video link. Great to hear those Wrights coming at you, passing overhead, and then away -- three distinct sounds. This is supposed to have a TSS sound pack included for the Wright R-1820 so that will be a nice bonus.

In looking at images since this project got it's initial startup way last year I've noticed plenty of civilian operated models still with the radar bump on the nose. With the paint kit there will be plenty of opportity for us repainters.

Wings of Gold
April 3rd, 2009, 13:05
With respects to the Chief, I'm a retired Naval Aviator and have never seen weathering that severe on a USN aircraft (at least when I was on active service). It does indeed look like it had done a spell in the boneyard (DM AFB). This was when there were enough aircraft that the crews had their own (complete with names painted on!). The crews were very proud of their birds. We used to come in weekends that we weren't flying and wash our P-2. A couple of times a year we would wax it (fly faster than the other squadron aircraft)! These aircraft went in for next level maintenance and inspection (O&R) priorically - and came back with a fresh paint job. The USN had automatic wash sites that we would taxi our P-3's through after EVERY flight. If I saw an aircraft in my own squadron that looked this dirty I would have had the Maintenance Officer in for a friendly discussion (like in Top Gun). I frequently saw the Whidbey Island UF. I assure you that it never looked this decrepit.

Bill

d0mokun
April 3rd, 2009, 13:14
It's all about perception anyway. People want them more weathered than they are. People want them with no detail at all. What I've suggested above caters to both camps and is as best as I can do.

ASW- that's unfortunate but it's not going to change, sorry. If any other variant were to be done it'd be the A, not an obscure ASW version. The A isn't likely to get done, either.
FS9- I've tried, but the original model is far too poly heavy and it's not going to happen anytime soon. FS9 can't cope nor will it process the model.

Tim-HH
April 3rd, 2009, 13:54
Realistic or not...I really like the weathered look! Great work :applause:

It's not long time ago that I didn't even thought about buying an Alphasim addon. Now I'm really looking forward to two of them :jump:

Greetings
Tim

d0mokun
April 3rd, 2009, 14:01
Just to show that Navy birds can have prominent rivets:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Douglas-A-24B-Banshee/1507537/L/

ATB
Dan

Prowler1111
April 3rd, 2009, 14:02
Well, i have to say something here, the model looks exceptional, and yes i do agree these aircraft look like they were just taken out of the boneyard and put them up in the air, BUT the effect is awesome, and into that matter, the textures a spot on, but if i were a pilot, back then, and stumble a plane looking that way, i´ll be praying the whole flight!!
Great model
Best regards
Prowler

Fireball6
April 3rd, 2009, 14:03
Both Variants looking great - the weathered and the fresh one - great Job !!!!!!! :ernae:
Hope we can spent some Flighthours during the weekend ;-)

Greetings to all :wave: Dirk

Rezabrya
April 3rd, 2009, 20:03
I dnt care if it is weathered of not...this looks amazing and is definately a must have.

Panther_99FS
April 3rd, 2009, 20:12
Another definite winner! :applause:

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 22:17
With respects to the Chief, I'm a retired Naval Aviator......... I assure you that it never looked this decrepit.

Bill

I really think it has to do with the way the screenshots were rendered. I think we need to give this aircraft a chance. Plenty of military aircraft look that decrepit now.

Good paints Dan, I think this will be a solid win!!

d0mokun
April 4th, 2009, 01:44
OK, four clean paints are now done.

I have also made modifications to the model so we now have:
- Smooth nosed variant. Not quite a G-111 with different windows etc, but it matches the B model without the radome.
- HU-16B as previewed, just with proper antenna gear and domes etc.
- HU-16B without tanks.
- HU-16C with a different rudder, vertical tail, and associated antenna gear.
- HU-16C without tanks.

Now again I make no promises but I'll see if I can get the ASW version in. I have little to no references so please, if you have photos, bring them forward now.

CG_1976
April 4th, 2009, 02:02
Here is a special Goat. It was sent from the Airforce to the USCG and served Brooklyn CGAS and served caribbean, Rhode Island, Mississippi
Link to HU-16 7245's new resting place http://www.pacificcoastairmuseum.org/2002Site/aircraftPCAM/HU16_Albatross/HU16_Albatross_home.asp

d0mokun
April 4th, 2009, 03:53
Here are some shots of the reworked models, all with clean textures.

Brian_Gladden
April 4th, 2009, 04:01
I'm gonna say it... Yep... WOW! :faint: Looks like I will be reinstalling FSX on my system. If only for the 'Tross.

Brian

guzler
April 4th, 2009, 04:02
They're excellent. Unweathered, but looking real, can't wait for this.

ColoKent
April 4th, 2009, 05:59
.....this is gonna be great!

K.

tigisfat
April 4th, 2009, 08:00
Oh, I forgot that there is one of these here in town at a museum. It's an old USAF one. i should go take some pictures.

Helldiver
April 4th, 2009, 10:51
Navychief, I don't know what Navy you were in but we took care and pride in our aircraft in WWII and It looks like it came back with Wings of Gold tenure in the U.S. Navy.
Maybe you were deserted out in somewhere in the boonies where no body noticed but we kept things up ship-shape.

BillgjCook
April 4th, 2009, 11:52
Here you go, this is from the HU-16 Albatross in action.

JensOle
April 4th, 2009, 13:11
Hi,

Some more HU-16B ASW pictures and information:

http://f-104.net/hu-16/albatross/albatross_serials.html

http://www.nak.no/flynytt/pdf/Flynytt-1-02.pdf

tigisfat
April 4th, 2009, 15:26
Navychief, I don't know what Navy you were in but we took care and pride in our aircraft in WWII and It looks like it came back with Wings of Gold tenure in the U.S. Navy.
Maybe you were deserted out in somewhere in the boonies where no body noticed but we kept things up ship-shape.

You think so?

TARPSBird
April 4th, 2009, 16:43
I'm not going near the weathering-vs-clean debate, but...
I just wanted to say that Dan's rendition of weathered high-vis (DayGlo) orange (see pic) is about the best I've seen. This paint was used on a lot of planes through the years and it didn't take long for it to fade and look ugly regardless of how well the planes were maintained.

d0mokun
April 4th, 2009, 17:54
Many thanks for the refs chaps, I'll see what I can do.

d0mokun
April 5th, 2009, 00:19
Chaps, try this on for size. Modificatons made to the nose, rudder, tail, pylons, and all the relevant gear (functioning searchlight included) has been added. The MAD boom can be trailed.

An-225
April 5th, 2009, 00:38
Chaps, try this on for size. Modificatons made to the nose, rudder, tail, pylons, and all the relevant gear (functioning searchlight included) has been added. The MAD boom can be trailed.

Thats just too cool (for lack of a better phrase). I love flying these types of variants, whether they be ASW, AWACS or tanker.

JensOle
April 5th, 2009, 03:05
Looks good, thank you! This will make Dag and me happy for sure. I hope you will include a paintkit so that I can try a RNoAF 333 Sqn repaint!

Fireball6
April 5th, 2009, 03:07
Fantastic work Dan - can`t wait to fly this beauty old Lady .......... :ernae:

d0mokun
April 5th, 2009, 03:20
Looks good, thank you! This will make Dag and me happy for sure. I hope you will include a paintkit so that I can try a RNoAF 333 Sqn repaint!

I purposely painted the HAF aircraft because I thought you both might want to paint the other birds yourself ;)

jojohnson9
April 5th, 2009, 10:20
With respects to the Chief, I'm a retired Naval Aviator and have never seen weathering that severe on a USN aircraft (at least when I was on active service). It does indeed look like it had done a spell in the boneyard (DM AFB). This was when there were enough aircraft that the crews had their own (complete with names painted on!). The crews were very proud of their birds. We used to come in weekends that we weren't flying and wash our P-2. A couple of times a year we would wax it (fly faster than the other squadron aircraft)! These aircraft went in for next level maintenance and inspection (O&R) priorically - and came back with a fresh paint job. The USN had automatic wash sites that we would taxi our P-3's through after EVERY flight. If I saw an aircraft in my own squadron that looked this dirty I would have had the Maintenance Officer in for a friendly discussion (like in Top Gun). I frequently saw the Whidbey Island UF. I assure you that it never looked this decrepit.

Bill

Yes, we had our own aircraft (SP-2E) with crew names painted...I was the radioman. Yes, we were proud of our plane, kept it clean. But we spent our free weekends on liberty, not washing our P-2.

I never saw an "O" washing a plane unless he lost a bet.

VP-26 CAC-6

MCDesigns
April 5th, 2009, 15:05
Outstanding Dan!! :ernae::ernae:

d0mokun
April 6th, 2009, 06:18
Here's a few shots of my favourite scheme. This one is the 'Billabong Clipper', one of two flown in Billabong Clothing colours.

I don't know whether or not this one will be in the release, though, due to potential copyright issues. It'll be on the normal sites as a repaint if it's not in the pack.

Just for the clean fans here, I've also attached two shots of a clean ARRS type.

ATB
Dan.

Dimus
April 6th, 2009, 06:51

Outstanding to have the Greek version modeled but can I comment on the colour please? They used to be bluegray actually, as posted on my earlier post here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=148853&postcount=11

Unless they used to be green before I served there.

Thanks for adding this option. A good reason for me to grab this when it's out.

MCDesigns
April 6th, 2009, 07:36
It amazes me that you have any time to design Dan, especially when I look at your shots and how great they look. If my sim looked that great I'd be flying more than developing, LOL.

gajit
April 6th, 2009, 10:25
Well done Dan. I see that the Alphasim website has changed.

noddy
April 6th, 2009, 10:53
:Banane35:

Kiwikat
April 6th, 2009, 11:33
Well done Dan. I see that the Alphasim website has changed.

lol... it looks frightening now.

gajit
April 6th, 2009, 12:29
lol... it looks frightening now.

LOL - yeah - buy or die:faint:

d0mokun
April 6th, 2009, 13:08
Outstanding to have the Greek version modeled but can I comment on the colour please? They used to be bluegray actually, as posted on my earlier post here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=148853&postcount=11

Unless they used to be green before I served there.

Thanks for adding this option. A good reason for me to grab this when it's out.

That's an interesting snippet really. I have colour profiles of both, and photos of even more colours. The green looks quite good on it so it'll probably stay.

To change it to blue with the paint kit would be a pretty easy affair.

Nick C
April 6th, 2009, 13:38
Well I'm late to this thread, but what a lovely looking project. This will go onto my "to buy" list.

Nice work.

Reddog
April 6th, 2009, 16:45
Is Alphasims site down or have the moved? the addy i have for them is saying it's not there anymore??:help:

lawdawg
April 6th, 2009, 16:53
try this..
http://www.alphasim.co.uk/

d0mokun
April 6th, 2009, 17:01
Indeed, the new site was launched last night, but the domain hasn't changed in 9 or so years.

deimos256
April 6th, 2009, 17:14
any vc shots?

d0mokun
April 6th, 2009, 17:37
There are two on the website.

I didn't build the cockpit on this one, though I am putting gauges in it.

JensOle
April 7th, 2009, 01:01
That's an interesting snippet really. I have colour profiles of both, and photos of even more colours. The green looks quite good on it so it'll probably stay.

To change it to blue with the paint kit would be a pretty easy affair.

I'm no expert, but I have only seen HAF Albatross painted in grey. All the HAF aircraft were former Norwegian birds and they were probably delivered to Greece in the same grey color scheme as they used in Norwegian service.

Mithrin
April 7th, 2009, 01:21
There are two on the website.

I didn't build the cockpit on this one, though I am putting gauges in it.
Dan, are you texturing it though? I like your style ever since the EZ. Keep that up mate, it's art and realism combined in a convincing manner!

d0mokun
April 7th, 2009, 01:45
Unfortunately no, and I probably won't be texturing any more AS VC's since I'm not employed there anymore.

Though that gives me my own free will..

The exterior model has been refined and painted by me, VC just gauges and finishing work.

Dag
April 7th, 2009, 09:56
I'm no expert, but I have only seen HAF Albatross painted in grey. All the HAF aircraft were former Norwegian birds and they were probably delivered to Greece in the same grey color scheme as they used in Norwegian service.

I agree Jens-Ole. The RNoAF used an equivalent to Dark Sea Grey (approx FS595b 16132) over White and they were withdrawn from use in those colours. This colour could also have been USN Seaplane Grey and this is equivalent to FS16081 but this seems way too dark to me. The HAF started using Aegean Blue on their aircraft at one time, as with many other types (F-4, F-5, F-1), and this is an equivalent to USN ANA Intermediate Blue (FS595B 25164).

Thanks

guzler
April 7th, 2009, 13:40
Here's a few shots of my favourite scheme. This one is the 'Billabong Clipper', one of two flown in Billabong Clothing colours.

I don't know whether or not this one will be in the release, though, due to potential copyright issues. It'll be on the normal sites as a repaint if it's not in the pack.

Just for the clean fans here, I've also attached two shots of a clean ARRS type.

ATB
Dan.

Incredible. Now stop posting on here and get some work done :applause:

polygoon
April 7th, 2009, 16:44
Dan, are you texturing it though?
Hi guys,
I think it's time to 'fess up - yours truly did the vc and the texturing.
I don't think I ever worked as hard on any vc as I did on this one.
I wanted to make sure it's really got that oily, musty and abused "old bucket" dungeon feel, if you know what I mean:jump:.
I'm really happy with the way it turned out, I'm absolutely sure you'll like it.

Later,
Norm

Aircanuck
April 7th, 2009, 16:55
Hello everybody,

Sure looks like a winner !!

How about including an RCAF repaint , if I'm not mistaken we used them for "SAR" work , SA-16 Albatross.

Not only used for rescue ops but utility type work as well ..... dropping supplies etc.

Somebody load up that spray gun !!

West Coast of Canada :wavey:

fsafranek
April 7th, 2009, 19:16
I agree Jens-Ole. The RNoAF used an equivalent to Dark Sea Grey (approx FS595b 16132) over White and they were withdrawn from use in those colours. This colour could also have been USN Seaplane Grey and this is equivalent to FS16081 but this seems way too dark to me. The HAF started using Aegean Blue on their aircraft at one time, as with many other types (F-4, F-5, F-1), and this is an equivalent to USN ANA Intermediate Blue (FS595B 25164).

Thanks
Even the interiors are blue (or there was too much blue in the color mix). :whistle:

http://koti.welho.com/msolanak/albatrengl.html

fsafranek
April 7th, 2009, 19:21
Hi guys,
I think it's time to 'fess up - yours truly did the vc and the texturing.
I don't think I ever worked as hard on any vc as I did on this one.
I wanted to make sure it's really got that oily, musty and abused "old bucket" dungeon feel, if you know what I mean:jump:.
I'm really happy with the way it turned out, I'm absolutely sure you'll like it.

Later,
Norm
Hey Norm. Nice to see you here!

d0mokun
April 7th, 2009, 20:52
OK well I'll look at changing the colour. I've been too busy sorting all of the other problems with the model and that has taken away valuable time- time I do not have, since I need to be finishing the cockpit... Colour changing won't be a priority but if I can get it done, I will.

tigisfat
April 7th, 2009, 22:55
It should be pretty soon now, eh?

Should we assume that the islander is on the same list as the C-17?

d0mokun
April 7th, 2009, 23:45
Should be soon, but as with everything at the 11th hour I get routed to work on other things. Then it's my fault when the original project isn't done..

Anyway, should be soon- the HU-16 just has gauge coding to be done then it's airworthy.

d0mokun
April 8th, 2009, 03:02
Hi chaps,

See attached.

Dag
April 8th, 2009, 05:58
Looking very good, if a bit on the worn side. Colour looks nice. Is the final shaping of the nose radome completed? I think it looks a bit on the fat side where it joins the lower fuselage?

Looking fwd to this,

thanks

d0mokun
April 8th, 2009, 06:30
It probably is final, though I'll see what I can do for you :) The model was never intended for that sort of modification and it's quite awkward and difficult to do it without upsetting mapping and so on.

I like the wear on the HAF one, it suits the photos etc. Though if demand exists I can add a non-weathered version in.

ATB
Dan.

Dag
April 8th, 2009, 09:44
Not to worry Dan, I am just happy you made the mods for the ASW and keep the weathering, by all means. The radome has a complex shape and don't do anything that will upset the model mapping.

Thanks

fsafranek
April 8th, 2009, 14:47
Though if demand exists I can add a non-weathered version in.

ATB
Dan.
That's what paint kits are for. Leave that personal taste stuff to the buying public. :whistle:

ColoKent
April 8th, 2009, 20:16
...I'd be surprised to see it released by this weekend....

UGH.

Kent

P.S. Thanks Dan for your work on this baby...

d0mokun
April 8th, 2009, 20:35
I'm trying, but the odds are against me.

2 days is not a short amount of time to get a bunch of gauges coded though.

ColoKent
April 8th, 2009, 21:01
....we know you are doing your best, and we appreciate it!

K.

noddy
April 8th, 2009, 23:23
Release it when it is ready, otherwise you know what will happen.

d0mokun
April 8th, 2009, 23:54
Indeed, errors would be present, people would complain, and I'd get sacked.. wait a minute!

I've been tasked to other things again today so I don't know how I'm going to get it done for tomorrow. Regardless there will be new screenshots before the weekend.

ColoKent
April 10th, 2009, 15:12
...no HU-16 for the weekend...Rats!

Ah well, hopefully it's like wine-- just gets better with age.

Kent

polygoon
April 10th, 2009, 19:00
Believe me - it's worth the wait, this model will be spectacular.
I can't wait to get a copy myself!!!:applause:

The Goon:kilroy:

ColoKent
April 10th, 2009, 19:16
...one bit! My problem is I only have a week at home before I hit the road again, and I was hoping to get some time in flying this baby!

Kent

ColoKent
April 13th, 2009, 14:11
...is deafening.

C'mon guys, let's crank it up and get it done....we need this thing out the door!

Kent

Mithrin
April 13th, 2009, 15:25
Kent, you're gonna have to learn to live with the fact that you're not going to get it in time I fear. Life sucks then you die. ;)

Anyways, isn't anticipation a drug as well? We all know we look forward to it and then once we have it it just becomes another plane in the hangar...god my motivational speech skill is lacking today isn't it.:friday:

ColoKent
April 13th, 2009, 16:29
...very eloquently put regarding motivation! Yeah, I would buy the "patience is a virtue" argument, but this eh...**stuff** seems to keep happening with increasing frequency.

As I said earlier...at least Dan is shedding some much-needed light on a portion of the industry where lightbulbs have apparently been outlawed. :applause:

Kent

Kiwikat
April 13th, 2009, 17:08
...is deafening.

C'mon guys, let's crank it up and get it done....we need this thing out the door!

Kent

Dan will be out of commission for the next few days. I don't know if he will be able to post on the forum let alone work on a project for a company hes not employed by anymore. Please be patient and let Dan do what he needs to in real life. I'm pretty sure he will finish the 'tross when he has a chance.

:engel016:

ColoKent
April 13th, 2009, 17:11
...I forgot Dan is also in the middle of a very real-world relocation!

good point...still want the 'Tross!

Kent

d0mokun
April 13th, 2009, 20:01
IT's all done now, but I need a day or two to hand it over.

Maybe end of the week but as other's have said, it's not my priority at the mo!

ATB

fsafranek
April 13th, 2009, 21:46
IT's all done now, but I need a day or two to hand it over.

Maybe end of the week but as other's have said, it's not my priority at the mo!

ATB
Have a good safe journey Dano. None of this stuff matters in the least.

foreigndevil
April 16th, 2009, 00:56
This is great news! Eagerly looking forward to this beauty!

ColoKent
April 17th, 2009, 14:36
...if Alphasim is a hobby or a business. My vote is, at this point it's a hobby.

K.

tigisfat
April 17th, 2009, 16:27
...if Alphasim is a hobby or a business. My vote is, at this point it's a hobby.

K.

Easy there. I wouldn't speculate to say that because of the amount of angry employees and emotions involved in the last few years of Alphasim. One thing is true, and that's the fact that Alphasim has been undergoing some major changes that may have made them appear to you as casual. Things were not always this way. It's not all bad though. The last two years have seen some of the best MSFS aircraft come from Alphasim.

ColoKent
April 17th, 2009, 17:20
....I guess I'm the the only person left on the planet who is held accountable if I am not performing adequately.

You're probably right-- Phil and company might have some brilliant master plan that causes them to preview one project...then delay it...preview another project...then delay that one too...and all the while Phil himself seems to have "outgrown" communicating with his customer base. Here's a newsflash: I don't give a cr$p what AS' reason is for the continued delays on both the BN and the HU-16. I don't care-- it's not my problem-- it's their problem.

Heck...I'm willing to pay big bucks for add-ons (I'm not like some folks on another posting board in particular that "whinge" [that should give the astute a clue as to what board I am talking about] on a regular basis about how much every piece of payware that comes out costs).

If it's a damned business, it's about time AS starts acting like it. PERIOD.

Kent :Banane36:

tigisfat
April 17th, 2009, 18:59
....I guess I'm the the only person left on the planet who is held accountable if I am not performing adequately.

I tried to sidestep around saying it bluntly. I've failed!! Here it is bluntly:

Phil IS Alphasim. He was held accountable by the employees that worked for him. How? They left, and not always under the best of circumstances. The rumor mill says that several people were stiffed on pay, some were stiffed on what they though were going to be jobs....so on and so forth.

You're probably right-- Phil and company might have some brilliant master plan that causes them to preview one project...then delay it...preview another project...then delay that one too.It's easy for us to stand back and say that. The departure and uncertain employment of a handful of key people means that key projects themselves will become uncertain, especially if you have employees paid on commission. If you wish to continue a project without them, then you must remove their work or pay them.

...and all the while Phil himself seems to have "outgrown" communicating with his customer base..Phil never did communicate much with his customers. He relied on more personable people like Dan and Frank Safranek. What little is known about him is that he never goes on forums. Rest assured that he won't read what you write about him.

Here's a newsflash: I don't give a cr$p what AS' reason is for the continued delays on both the BN and the HU-16. I don't care-- it's not my problem-- it's their problem. You should care. You guys know me; I'm harsh on developers all the time. Let's be positive about one thing though: We are talking about our friends and members of this community. It's not just production problems, it's problems with people being forced to move without much money around the world...find new jobs...so on and so forth.

If it's a damned business, it's about time AS starts acting like it. PERIOD.Like I said, it's not that simple. It's a/was a group of people with ever-changing dynamics and problems usually relating to one person.

Please understand that I have no affiliation with Alphasim. This is the way I believe things to be.

ColoKent
April 17th, 2009, 19:26
...I'm not pi$$ed at you. I'm just irritated that AS won't deliver the goods. Y'know, back in the '04-'06 timeframe, Phil seemed very accomodating...but since AS sh$tcanned their "official" forum, "official comm" has dropped to ZERO.

Dano and a few others have tired to keep AS in good graces with the community, and now he (and most--if not all of the others are) gone. This sucks-- I miss the "old" AS that cranked out state of the art airplanes.

And now the HU-16, one of the models I've always wanted...continues to be delayed...it just pi$$es me off-- I'm used to the real world, where deliveries mean revenue. It's bad enough that AS gets fixated on limited appeal $hit like the "Hawler Siddley Vertol Mk XIII" which flew once-- in 1947....now this cr@p.

Again, nothing personal...just gimme the damned HU-16 and the paintkit!

And yes...I understand perfectly well that money talks and...well, er, um..."the rest" walks. How else does Phil think he's gonna make a living and pay others so they can make a living???

Kent

Kiwikat
April 17th, 2009, 19:33
Those of you who miss Dan's fine creations (as well as communication and support) will see them s**n enough (perhaps my sig is a hint to those who may have missed it before) ;)

I'm trying my hardest not to comment about Phil due to my past affiliation.:help:

ColoKent
April 17th, 2009, 19:38
...all I can say is that in my mind..."Dan's the man". Looking forward to a new, vibrant approach to this "mess", and I think Dan's heart is in the right place.

Kent

Mickey D
April 18th, 2009, 12:49
I tried to sidestep around saying it bluntly. I've failed!! Here it is bluntly:

Phil IS Alphasim. He was held accountable by the employees that worked for him. How? They left, and not always under the best of circumstances. The rumor mill says that several people were stiffed on pay, some were stiffed on what they though were going to be jobs....so on and so forth.

It's easy for us to stand back and say that. The departure and uncertain employment of a handful of key people means that key projects themselves will become uncertain, especially if you have employees paid on commission. If you wish to continue a project without them, then you must remove their work or pay them.

Phil never did communicate much with his customers. He relied on more personable people like Dan and Frank Safranek. What little is known about him is that he never goes on forums. Rest assured that he won't read what you write about him.

You should care. You guys know me; I'm harsh on developers all the time. Let's be positive about one thing though: We are talking about our friends and members of this community. It's not just production problems, it's problems with people being forced to move without much money around the world...find new jobs...so on and so forth.

Like I said, it's not that simple. It's a/was a group of people with ever-changing dynamics and problems usually relating to one person.

Please understand that I have no affiliation with Alphasim. This is the way I believe things to be.

Well said tigisfat ;) I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact I didn't say it better myself on many occasions. ;)

ColoKent
April 18th, 2009, 13:36
...you're right-- it sounds good....it doesn't have anything to do with deciding to run AS like a business....but it is philosophical (have never flown one of those in FSX, BTW).... :wavey:

...Still waiting for HU-16 release...

Kent

DennyA
April 18th, 2009, 17:15
Wow, what a amazing sense of entitlement some people have.

The fact is, the flight sim market is such that there are very few people who can afford to be flight-sim developers full-time. And sometimes real life gets in the way.

Guess what else? Have you ever noticed that real-world corporations sometimes have deadlines slip when creating complex products? Microsoft, Apple, Honda, Art Asylum, GE, IBM, Keebler...

I'm very sorry that Alphasim hasn't delivered you the Hu-16 that they owe you on the schedule you proscribe. What is the world coming to?

d0mokun
April 18th, 2009, 17:18
Indeed, Phil may be AlphaSim (albeit the company) but at this moment, both BN2 and HU16 rest on my shoulders.

After that, well, it's up to Phil to make AS whatever he wants it to be.

ColoKent
April 18th, 2009, 17:59
...god Dan is back!

Kent

P.S. Oh and, uh Denny...thanks for explaining business and schedules...I hate telling you what my civilian occupation is, but I will: I consult for large corporations in areas dealing with new business acquisition, program management and program scheduling, planning and execution.

P.S.S. My current military reserve position also involves overseeing program execution...so...thanks for the primer!

PRB
April 18th, 2009, 20:36
Wow, you’re way more important and awesome than us.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I wonder how many other members here who have read your posts in this thread, and actually have jobs similar, albeit not as awesome (obviously), as yours, and who also are waiting with great anticipation for the release of the HU-16, have decided not to whine like an impertinent child about the delays that have been encountered during its development. Just a thought…
<o:p></o:p>
These aren’t real airplanes we’re dealing with here. The security of the free world is not at stake, and the organizations involved usually consist of less then ten people. And it’s not their day job either. I guess you’ll just have to wait like the rest of the riff-raff!

Moses03
April 18th, 2009, 20:49
...It's bad enough that AS gets fixated on limited appeal $hit like the "Hawler Siddley Vertol Mk XIII" which flew once-- in 1947...

The Hawler Siddley Vertol Mk XIII is my favorite of all time. Thank you again AlphaSim for modeling the Hawler Siddley Vertol Mk XIII.

ColoKent
April 18th, 2009, 21:11
...Moses.

K.

P.S. And I guess PRB is right...I shoulda let Denny run his mouth unanswered-- apparently that's the only way many here can function. Out on this one.

hobofat
April 18th, 2009, 22:48
Sigh, I hope the juvenile tone of this thread isn't the future of this forum.

Thanks for the updates on the HU-16 Dan, I'm looking forward to the final project when it is released in due course and best of luck on your future endeavors away from AS.

gajit
April 19th, 2009, 00:00
Sigh, I hope the juvenile tone of this thread isn't the future of this forum.

LOL - just goes to show how addictive this is as collectors of fine aircraft simulations. Turns us into kids again.

michael davies
April 19th, 2009, 01:07
Paul,

Just one point, whilst 3D modelling isn't our day job, it does perform some small function to the running and paying of our lives, with the current global climate I'm pleased I actually have some extra curriculum finances to help shore up losses elsewhere, small as they may be they are gratefully received.

Sad fact is, product delays not only upset customers, they also have an impact in the back rooms too.

I've no idea where the delays are, nor am I truthfully interested, I've done my contractual work and now like the rest sit and wait for the release, as do many others.

In the end there is only one solution, work for yourself, Team SDB have done it, Mark Harper has done it ( nice site coming along too ) and now with overt hints on several forums, Dan has taken the plunge too.

The old adage of " if you want something done right then do it yourself " aptly rings true in this context.

Nothing personal, just your post raises some valid points that I feel many others are at minimum thinking, and I do consider myself like many here as part of the riff raff waiting for release :).

Sincerely

Michael

Wow, you’re way more important and awesome than us.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I wonder how many other members here who have read your posts in this thread, and actually have jobs similar, albeit not as awesome (obviously), as yours, and who also are waiting with great anticipation for the release of the HU-16, have decided not to whine like an impertinent child about the delays that have been encountered during its development. Just a thought…
<o:p></o:p>
These aren’t real airplanes we’re dealing with here. The security of the free world is not at stake, and the organizations involved usually consist of less then ten people. And it’s not their day job either. I guess you’ll just have to wait like the rest of the riff-raff!

PRB
April 19th, 2009, 06:41
... Sad fact is, product delays not only upset customers, they also have an impact in the back rooms too ...

No question. Your opinion on what’s going on at Alphasim certainly carries more “weight” than mine… If I worked there, then addressing those problems might be more of a priority for me. As it is, I have enough problems of my own to deal with! I like Alphasim planes. I've bought many of them and have no complaints. This HU-16 is looking fantastic and I’m going to buy it as “soon” (oops...) as it’s released. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

michael davies
April 19th, 2009, 09:00
Paul,

Sadly it carries no more weight than any one else here when it comes to what is important, products in some sort of quality out of the door in a timely manner.

I had time this afternoon after lunch ( roast beef and a nice bottle of wine ) to reflect on why or how it has got to this position, and I cannot think of one sole reason, staff leaving, forum upsets, et al, that really points to something tangible as an explanation.

Four or five years ago Alphasim had it on a plate, they could do little wrong, now, the mention of Alphasim raises such passion with either long debating threads or short conflictingly ones, to a point, that now when other threads go south there's comments in there asking if this is a Alphasim thread in disguise.

Its sort of become FS folklore, much like "to Panther" ; crash ones flying machine into terra firma in spectacular fashion, "To Alphasim" ; open can of petrol and light fumes.

How or why did it suddenly become a bad thing to be associated with Alphasim ?, the conclusion of my post lunch reflection was that it wasn't sudden, it has been a slow erosion over the last few years. I honestly cannot remember when the last model was released, I'm sure it was pre Xmas, from two or three a month this time last year to...to one when ?.

Shame indeed.

Kindest

Michael

Mickey D
April 19th, 2009, 13:58
Paul,

Sadly it carries no more weight than any one else here when it comes to what is important, products in some sort of quality out of the door in a timely manner.

I had time this afternoon after lunch ( roast beef and a nice bottle of wine ) to reflect on why or how it has got to this position, and I cannot think of one sole reason, staff leaving, forum upsets, et al, that really points to something tangible as an explanation.

Four or five years ago Alphasim had it on a plate, they could do little wrong, now, the mention of Alphasim raises such passion with either long debating threads or short conflictingly ones, to a point, that now when other threads go south there's comments in there asking if this is a Alphasim thread in disguise.

Its sort of become FS folklore, much like "to Panther" ; crash ones flying machine into terra firma in spectacular fashion, "To Alphasim" ; open can of petrol and light fumes.

How or why did it suddenly become a bad thing to be associated with Alphasim ?, the conclusion of my post lunch reflection was that it wasn't sudden, it has been a slow erosion over the last few years. I honestly cannot remember when the last model was released, I'm sure it was pre Xmas, from two or three a month this time last year to...to one when ?.

Shame indeed.

Kindest

Michael

Never forget your beginings nor the people who put you where you are today. Crap on those people from a great height at your peril or those same people will cause your downfall.

tigisfat
April 19th, 2009, 17:46
Fantasy:

Dan working with Skysim......Team SDB.......

I do'nt know what people are jumping on Colo Kent for, and saying that he has a sense of entitlement. He's only saying that he's tired of all the drama, and he really wants his HU-16 already.

Everyone has some rare title that if made, they will flip out over. Watch my mouth begin to foam when the B-1B nears release, and just you wait and see how I act here.

hobofat
April 19th, 2009, 18:05
I do'nt know what people are jumping on Colo Kent for, and saying that he has a sense of entitlement. He's only saying that he's tired of all the drama, and he really wants his HU-16 already.

Everyone has some rare title that if made, they will flip out over. Watch my mouth begin to foam when the B-1B nears release, and just you wait and see how I act here.

Because our mothers smacked us as children for the same...

Kiwikat
April 19th, 2009, 18:05
Fantasy:

Dan working with Skysim......Team SDB.......

Don't worry, we'll be better than that.:engel016::173go1:

Rezabrya
April 19th, 2009, 18:21
I cannot wait to see this new studios staff list and product list...OOO baby!

polygoon
April 19th, 2009, 20:25
Get along, guys...

michael davies
April 20th, 2009, 00:10
Well reading between the lines it has a developer; Dan and a lead tester; Kiwikat, do they need any more ?. Lets hope they do well on their own accolades rather than the expense of others misfortunes.

I cannot wait to see this new studios staff list and product list...OOO baby!

d0mokun
April 20th, 2009, 02:29
Indeed, there's no need for any rivalry nor any bad feelings before things are even in motion..

Mickey D
April 20th, 2009, 03:08
Hear hear Dan. There's no need for petty rivalry. We've all worked well together in the past and I'm sure we all will again. Albeit on a casual basis.
Best of luck mate and I look forward to us meeting up at Elvington in the near future. ;)

Best
Mike

michael davies
April 20th, 2009, 03:17
Sorry, just made me cross reading some unnecessary snipes above, very poor cricket in my books. No rivalry on my behalf, just a low tolerance to those that 'think' their better than anyone else.

Theres room at the inn for all levels of competence and quality, setting yourself above the rest just makes you an easier target if things dont go to plan.

Indeed, there's no need for any rivalry nor any bad feelings before things are even in motion..

VFR Alexander
April 20th, 2009, 03:32
Hear hear Dan. There's no need for petty rivalry. We've all worked well together in the past and I'm sure we all will again. Albeit on a casual basis.
Best of luck mate and I look forward to us meeting up at Elvington in the near future. ;)

Best
Mike

Right now we're working on getting him to come to EAA :jump:.

Mickey D
April 20th, 2009, 04:10
ALEX? ALEX? Who the **** is ALEX? :)

Probably lost on our American cousins.

michael davies
April 20th, 2009, 04:45
Lost on me too, but then I was never known for my sense of humor :).

Probably lost on our American cousins.

Mickey D
April 20th, 2009, 05:00
That's because Smokey and Roy "Chubby" Brown are not on your entertainment list Michael. Either that or I'm getting old. ;)

Kiwikat
April 20th, 2009, 05:14
Right now we're working on getting him to come to EAA :jump:.

We should have a big SOH bash at Airventure this year. Would be cool to actually meet some of you. :wavey: Even more- the A380 is going to be there, as well as White Knight Two. Should be an exciting week for sure. :jump:

tigisfat
April 20th, 2009, 10:01
We should have a big SOH bash at Airventure this year. Would be cool to actually meet some of you. :wavey: Even more- the A380 is going to be there, as well as White Knight Two. Should be an exciting week for sure. :jump:

I'll go if I can convince the powers that govern that a B-1B needs to sit static at Airventure. Some people bring cakes, others drinks to a party....and yet others bring supersonic death machines.:bump:

Kiwikat
April 20th, 2009, 10:05
I'll go if I can convince the powers that govern that a B-1B needs to sit static at Airventure. Some people bring cakes, others drinks to a party....and yet others bring supersonic death machines.:bump:

Oh man that would be cool. I saw the B-1 a few years back. It was impressive to say the least O_O

tigisfat
April 20th, 2009, 21:53
Oh man that would be cool. I saw the B-1 a few years back. It was impressive to say the least O_O

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that B-1Bs never sit as static displays during Oshkosh. There's usually a flyover, and i think they're launched from here.

Kiwikat
April 21st, 2009, 07:40
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that B-1Bs never sit as static displays during Oshkosh. There's usually a flyover, and i think they're launched from here.

A few years ago, I think in 2006 (though I'm probably wrong), there was a B-1 on display. It flew during the airshow too but returned to display afterwards.

tigisfat
April 21st, 2009, 21:12
So, whatta I have to do to get a title over at 'firebug studios'?

noddy
May 14th, 2009, 23:21
Well looks like the release is going to be this weekend.

From the Alphasim site.

MAY 15th

The final screenshots of the HU-16 Albatross have been added to the Gallery ! Release is scheduled for this weekend.

gajit
May 14th, 2009, 23:34
Looks promising.

tigisfat
May 14th, 2009, 23:59
wow, I didn't expect that.:kilroy:

The VC is a little more lo-res than I expected given the VCs of Alphasim late and the beautiful paints we've seen on this aircraft. I will withhold final judgement until I see actual user screenshots, but unless they change my mind I won't be buying it now. Whoever chooses Alphasim's screenshots for advertising has never done a great job, so I can only hope.

gajit
May 15th, 2009, 00:11
wow, I didn't expect that.:kilroy:

The VC is a little more lo-res than I expected given the VCs of Alphasim late and the beautiful paints we've seen on this aircraft. I will withhold final judgement until I see actual user screenshots, but unless they change my mind I won't be buying it now. Whoever chooses Alphasim's screenshots for advertising has never done a great job, so I can only hope.

I agree that the VC looks like it might let it down a bit but am hopeful. I wont try to be one of the first to buy it. Would be were it not for my ever increasing facination with the Catalina

gajit
May 17th, 2009, 09:54
Well looks like the release is going to be this weekend.

From the Alphasim site.

MAY 15th

The final screenshots of the HU-16 Albatross have been added to the Gallery ! Release is scheduled for this weekend.

Im running out of "weekend" here :kilroy:

Fireball6
May 17th, 2009, 10:55
Soon, sooner - "Alphasoon" - I can`t understand the Alphasim-Phil-osophie - in another Forum you can read that the whole package is finished, on their website it is "scheduled" for this weekend - and what is now - once again nothing ...... That is a great way to make costumers happy !!!!!!!!!!

gajit
May 17th, 2009, 11:13
We can only hope that they are reaching for functional perfection this time

jeansy
May 17th, 2009, 12:39
its good to see you can set your watch by them :sleep:

theres 52 weekends in a year, so we have a few to go

DennyA
May 17th, 2009, 13:59
Well, to be fair, costumers aren't really the primary market for flight-sim add-ons. :)

Personally, I'd much rather something ship when it's finished than when there's an arbitrary date.

Lesson learned a long time ago in the software industry: Don't announce the release date until it's done!

d0mokun
May 17th, 2009, 14:00
EDIT- not worth the hassle.

We've all just got to sit tight and wait. Patience is key. No point in arguing over it because it's not going to solve anything.

noddy
May 18th, 2009, 04:08
I see weekend has now been changed to week.