PDA

View Full Version : Interested in the Saitek ProFlight Yoke System

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 28th, 2009, 18:02
After a good long while of faithful service, my old Saitek X45 seems to be getting tired. The spring supporting the joystick is getting loose so my dead zone is kinda large, the POV hat switch doesn't work too well anymore, among other things.

So since I've been flying a lot of single-engine prop aircraft of late, I'm thinking of getting the ProFlight Yoke. It seems to be a pretty good price compared to the other options out there (I am NOT paying $550 for a yoke even if it's just like the real one in a Mooney! :icon_lol: ) and a decent product, but I'd like to have the opinion of some of the folks around here who have it.

After all, my employer has a flying club based aound here, and I need to have an idea of how to fly yoke for that! ;)

Kiwikat
March 28th, 2009, 18:04
I don't know about the Saitek Yoke, but I've had the CH Yoke for about 2 and a half years and it hasn't let me down once. Can't say that about the pedals though.

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 28th, 2009, 18:15
I did like the CH yoke too, especially for the trim wheels on it which I haven't had on a joystick since the old two-button one my father had ten years ago (how did we ever get by on just TWO buttons!), but in my mind the separate throttle is such a strong selling point I can't easily resist it.

I have CH Pro Pedals from years ago which still works pretty nice. I can never get the differential brakes to work on them, but the rudder works just fine - it was like a dream come true when I first got them, and didn't need to use the blasted twist stick Sidewinder anymore.

pointy31
March 28th, 2009, 18:21
I have the Saitek yoke, been having it for a few months now, and it's fine, I just can't get used to flying with it. I keep going back to my old Logitech 3D Pro...

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 28th, 2009, 18:31
Why can't you get used to flying with it? some defect, or you're just too used to a joystick?

And is that a miniature Schnauzer in your picture? :)

cheezyflier
March 28th, 2009, 18:41
can i ask you guys a question? would a yoke and pedals affect frames or performance on a marginal computer like mine?

pointy31
March 28th, 2009, 18:54
Cheezy, I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think it would.

LB, I guess that I'm just too accustomed to flying with a stick, with all the function buttons where I'm used to them. No defects, it's a beautiful piece of equipment, and I keep going back to it, but I still prefer the stick. With the yoke, I have to fly with my left hand on the yoke and right hand on the throttle, just like in my R/L Ercoupe. With the stick, I fly with my right hand on the stick, and my left hand around my wineglass...LOL...The puppy in my avatar is Poo-Bear, a Yorkie-Poo. He's 15 months old now and is my constant companion. A lovable little mutt...:applause:

Kiwikat
March 28th, 2009, 18:58
can i ask you guys a question? would a yoke and pedals affect frames or performance on a marginal computer like mine?

Not at all. A configuration program could potentially use up some memory, but most yokes and pedals don't need a config program. Simple Plug N Play :)

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 28th, 2009, 19:29
Saitek equipment has such a manager, but I'm pretty content with just exactly the number of functions as there are buttons, so I don't even need that, really.

pointy, I understand that. I intend to hold on to the X45 for military stuff, too - and if I'm ever feeling brave, I might try opening it up to change out the good second hat (which I have set for aileron and rudder trim and therefore don't use so much; it's still very crisp) for the not-so-good primary POV hat. Unfortunately I can't seem to reconfigure the darned thing to use hat switch #2 in FSX or the Saitek manager, so if I want that to work I may need to cut and solder some wires.

In any event, when I get paid on Friday I may order the yoke then, and I'll see how I like it.

As for your Yorkie-Poo, very cute puppy. The gray coat threw me off; it looks just like the miniature Schnauzer my grandparents used to own. I sure did love that dog - when I'm ready to get a pet of my own, a Schnauzer tops the list, even over the Westie and teacup Yorkie (it's my sister's dog, don't look at me! ;) ) we have now.

And dogs sure do make the very best of companions.

spotlope
March 28th, 2009, 19:30
I've had my Saitek yoke, pedals, and extra throttle quad for over a year now, and I love 'em. The only problem I've had is that one of the buttons on one of my quads is a little dodgy and doesn't always register a press. Other than that, no problems whatsoever. By the way, I used to have one of those $500 all-metal PFC yokes. Believe it or not, I like the Saitek version better. It's not as heavy, but I like the way it feels and it has way more buttons and functions. Plus, their throttle units are the best in the business.

I've had a CH yoke/pedals/pro throttle combination before too, for a long time. They were good enough, and very sturdy. For my money, the Saitek stuff just feels better.

pointy31
March 28th, 2009, 19:44
And dogs sure do make the very best of companions.[/quote]

There's a saying that goes something like this: Lock you wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour, then let them out. See which one is happy to see you...:engel016:

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 28th, 2009, 19:54
LOL

See, now you almost had me splattering my monitor with merlot with that one, pointy. Come on, some warning would be nice next time!

And no, I doubt your wife's tail would be cheerfully wagging after that experience. ;) Unlike spouses, it takes a LOT to get a dog that mad at you.

Tako_Kichi
March 28th, 2009, 20:34
I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS and a Saitek yoke and throttle and I like both. I tend to use the stick for AC with sticks and for quick test flights of any AC as it is easier for me to set up given my flying arrangements here.

If I am settling in for a lengthy session in AC with yokes then I will set up the yoke and throttle as it does add more realism than trying to fly yoke AC with a sim stick.

As far as build quality goes I am very impressed with my yoke/throttle combo and have had no problems with it so far.

d0mokun
March 28th, 2009, 20:39
I've got both Saitek Yoke/ quad and the pedals, and they are both great.

Dangerousdave26
March 29th, 2009, 07:51
I have had a Saitek Yoke since December it worked good until last month. It has an internal problem now that requires it be sent back to be repaired. The back light flickers and the control stutters when you move it. All are related to the same internal problem. I am working on sending it back now but I like it alot.

I also have the rudder pedals and extra throttle quadrent. If you get the Yoke I suggest getting both of those. It is nice to have 4 throttle controls. With just the yoke you loose rudder control which is why I got the rudder pedals.

No it does not affect frame rates. There is no need to load Saiteks controller software.

When I first installed it I had to blow out my FS9.cfg file and start over. Adding the new controls corrupted the file. FSX was not loaded on my system until after I had them all installed so that cfg file was never affected.

My system when I installed the devices was XP now it is Widows 7 beta until August when I will go back to XP.

You can install both the Yoke and have your twisty stick installed you just want to use one at a time.

I don't think you can go wrong with the product.

cheezyflier
March 29th, 2009, 08:37
thanks one and all for the info! now i know what i have to do...

Pepere
March 29th, 2009, 09:02
I had a Cirrus yoke, $600.00, was worst than the Ch or Saitek. Took it apart and the circuit board was about 1" X 2" and it was not stable. You had to clean up the potts every once in a while to keep the elevator from jumping up and down... Better off with either of the others. My $.02. By the way the cirrus yoke is now in the basement, upstairs and here in my workshop. :caked:

David