PDA

View Full Version : Passchendaele movie

Silver Fox
October 12th, 2008, 13:30
Has anyone outside Canada heard of this movie or planning to see it?

http://www.passchendaelethemovie.com/

Just wondering, I've only seen ads for it on Canadian TV stations.

wombat666
October 12th, 2008, 23:21
Good cast and it's made by a reputable man in Paul Gross, best of all it is not a Hollwood 'production'.
I'll certainly be watching out for it, very much a film that would be well received 'down under'.
:applause:

waco jaco
October 13th, 2008, 01:05
It has been in some newspapers here in Belgium (Flanders Fields) early this year. But since then nothing heard of it again. I hope it will be available here soon as it look as one of the more realistic ones.

Trans_23
October 13th, 2008, 14:43
Looks like a good movie but I have to wonder. Was World War I fought exclusively in rain and mud because it always seems to be depicted that way in the movies.

PhilRamone
October 13th, 2008, 19:45
Looks like a good movie but I have to wonder. Was World War I fought exclusively in rain and mud because it always seems to be depicted that way in the movies.

no, there were battles in turkey and other places... but you are right, europe is shown more regularly

pop
October 14th, 2008, 15:27
I'll be seeing it. I'm pretty sure my grandfather fought there. He was definitely at Vimy Ridge and I think he got gassed at Passchendaele.

I'm in Canada of course so it doesn't do much for me to answer your question.

wombat666
October 14th, 2008, 21:31

The time for many of the big offenses on the Western Front was often Summer.
One of the best WWI films to come out of Australia dealt with the Allied Offensive in the Summer of 1918.
Very little mud and rain around at the time.
I can't remember the correct title, I think it may have been 'The ANZACS' but I'm probably wrong.
Often overlooked are the campaigns fought in East Africa and the Desert, except for the highly stylised 'Lawrence of Arabia'.
:kilroy:

Lionheart
October 14th, 2008, 21:43
From the trailer, it looks like one heck of a good movie.

I'll be watching it.

:ernae:

My grandfather fought in France/Belgium. Radio operator, which back then was Morse Code. He watched dogfights in the air. He saw fighter pilots burn in their planes before they could hit the ground. Crossing the Atlantic, they were almost sunk by a submarine, but they had blasted it (sunk it with heavy guns) before it could launch a successful torpedo hit. Grandpa saw the scope in the water.

Sometimes the hunger was so great on the field, he had seen French troops skin a rabbit alive and eat it.

Rough times.... Thank God the great war is over.

Bill

OBIO
October 15th, 2008, 06:43
Have not seen a thing about this movie....but will be looking for it when it comes out. This looks like the kind of movie that will become a classic war movie. Of course, to attract the female audiences, they have to have the romance added in.

OBIO

txnetcop
October 15th, 2008, 07:17
I wish they would show it here in the U.S. I see nothing about it. Looks great
Ted

cheezyflier
October 15th, 2008, 07:25

i don't know this to be fact but i think hollywood uses water to control the light and add dramatic effect. the reason i say this is, no matter what movie you see, have you ever noticed that scenes shot at night always show the street to be wet?

Cloud9Gal
October 15th, 2008, 09:27
Just finished looking online, to see if it would make its way to the States, but no luck finding any information suggesting so. The "trailer" was great! My roots being Canadian, I'm glad/proud to see a movie depicting Canada's role in the First World War.
If the movie does not make its way to the States, I will certainly buy the DVD when it comes out.
Thanks for sharing the link Silver Fox :applause:

srgalahad
October 15th, 2008, 11:34
I wish they would show it here in the U.S. I see nothing about it. Looks great
Ted

Well, maybe if a couple of the leading characters got arrested, or into the National Enquirer it might get picked up, but...

No Hollywood celebs, no American heroes, no Cavalry riding to the rescue, no Matrix-like special effects... nope.. it's gotta be on of them there furrin "art" films... don't forget most of the theater chains are umbilically connected to the Hollywood studios so the only hope is at your local "art cinema"

Hey, maybe we can get Paul Gross to release a French language version with sub-titles.. that might get it picked up.

Rob

Silver Fox
October 15th, 2008, 20:55
Funny to read some of the comments, especially the bits about it not being "Hollywood". The studio responsible is Alliance pictures, one of the biggest makers of TV and movies. Alliance is well known for CSI (in all of it's variants).

If they aren't showing it locally (which it seems), go ask at the theatre... put a bug in someone's ear and maybe they'll scratch it. :)

Get well soon C9G! You're welcome for the link. :)

Lionheart
October 15th, 2008, 21:01
I remember when Das Boot came to America. Man, I didnt even know it was filmed and it was showing at a famous theatre downtown. I couldnt believe it. (I had read the book years before when it was on the New York Best Seller List and couldnt get it out of my mind). The film was in english subtitles, still in original german language. About a year or two later, it was hitting theatres more and more, and now it has a cult following and can be found in probably 3 versions at Walmart often, including the directors cut version.

So I think this movie, if its as good as it appears to be, will have nothing to worry about. If its good, they will come to it. Just a matter of time.

Bill

Silver Fox
October 16th, 2008, 09:09
You're probably right Bill. Alliances ties with the TV networks also means that, if nothing else, it will appear on TV at some point. Canada is the same DVD region as the States so you'll be able to buy it eventually as well.