PDA

View Full Version : FSX real weather

chuck bodeen
October 12th, 2008, 13:21
Yesterday I downloaded FSX real weather with winds aloft. Then I went to the advanced custom weather pages and I could see the results which I checked against the National Weather Service latest forecast.

Today I do no see the aloft data on the advanced weater screens.

Does anyone know how to do this?

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2008, 13:36
Can't answer your question, but I suggest trying Active Sky X (ASX). I find it simulates real weather much more accurately than the default FS engine.

http://www.hifisim.com/asx.php

chuck bodeen
October 12th, 2008, 13:42
Can't answer your question, but I suggest trying Active Sky X (ASX). I find it simulates real weather much more accurately than the default FS engine.

http://www.hifisim.com/asx.php

Thanks, but I'm writing an article for Computer Pilot about FSX weather, so I really need to find out the difference between what I did yesterday and what I did today.

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2008, 13:45
Ah, gotcha. Someone will probably come along with more knowledge than myself. Good luck with the article!

chuck bodeen
October 12th, 2008, 13:58
They say that a monkey at a keyboard will eventually type out one of Shakespere's sonets.

All I had to do was to select the airport near the top of the Advanced Weather screen.

Thanks for being interested anyway.

:costumes: :jump: :wavey:

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 17:05
Hey Chuck,

The FSX weather system uses cells based on weather centers which it has online from data (I dont know how) and when you download the weather data into the sim, when you cross those weather cell borders, you instantly get the weather change. Perhaps if it was more of a gradual transition (slower), it would be more realistic.

But what it can be of course is data isnt online yet from your weather service (probably logged ever hour on the hour) and it may have blown through already and is in another weather station cell zone.

Thats my two cents on the subject. I worked with it a bit long ago trying to make saved weather elements on some missions of an addon. Interesting what you can do in making your own weather system. You can select key zones 'alone' and give them certain weather effects, then select other zones that are say 'transition points', then more zones to have as regular weather. Then go fly through it. pretty fun.

Bill

cheezyflier
October 12th, 2008, 18:55
if i understood what i was told the last time i asked about the real world weather in fsx, what you get is, weather local to where you physically are, no matter where you are flying. it's why i stopped using it, and now i do my own weather.

tigisfat
October 12th, 2008, 21:13
if i understood what i was told the last time i asked about the real world weather in fsx, what you get is, weather local to where you physically are, no matter where you are flying. it's why i stopped using it, and now i do my own weather.

Even though I get tired of the crappy visibility layers, I fly using 'real weather' on the default FSX system all of the time. It most positively downloads different weather stations. You can fly from here to Russia and get every weather zone in between. You're not forced to fly in the same weather worldwide based on what's in your local area.

Tako_Kichi
October 12th, 2008, 21:30
I had a flight using real weather the other day which had strong gusty winds, low clouds and snow squalls. My local weather was calm, clear skies and warm so it can't be using your local settings IMHO.

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 21:44
I had a flight using real weather the other day which had strong gusty winds, low clouds and snow squalls. My local weather was calm, clear skies and warm so it can't be using your local settings IMHO.

Very true.

If you would like to test this, go to the Weather Channel.com and look a region that is getting wild weather. Open FS, set up a flight in that exact (exact) area and then set up real weather. You should have the same thing in your flight. If not, there may be a slight time dialation, (just after, just before).

You must have your FS enabled to make calls to home to enable this. If you have it locked out, then the sim cannot phone home to the weather network and download the area's.

My brother and I used to love to do group flights with real weather in hurricane season. Pretty difficult flying....

Bill

cheezyflier
October 13th, 2008, 10:16
i'll have to give it another go then. while i was using it, all i was getting was local weather no matter where i flew from. is it really possible that i was picking areas that coincidently had the same weather? if so, that would be really comical.