PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Days

Helldiver
March 28th, 2009, 04:20
I used to hang around the Coast Guard Base at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Winter</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>Island</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> before WWII. It wasn’t really allowed but the men got used to me. I used to go to the mess hall in the morning and they always had a glass of milk and a piece of pie or cake for me. I really loved their Date Squares. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Then I’d go down to the Radio Shack and find out what was doing. Maybe carry some messages to the C.O.s. office. The rest of my time was spent at the hanger. Watching the mechanics work, helping when I could and running errands. <o:p></o:p>
I’d go to the Gedunk stand and get their cigarettes. Mostly it was Lucky Strikes in the green package. This was before Lucky Strike green “went to war”. But there was an Old Gold and a <st1:City><st1:place>Chesterfield</st1:place></st1:City> smoker. All short and no filters. Only women smoked filters. Butts cost 9 cents and they would give me a dime. I kept the penny for going.<o:p></o:p>
They had a few Hall Flying boats but the one thing I remember fondly, was the Grumman J2F Duck. This was before they got the OS2U Kingfishers. Even when they did, they had a hard time getting rid of the Duck. It would take incredible punishment. It would take off no matter how bad the sea was. Just a huge spray of water and it would appear out of nowhere. There would be winds of 50 knots coming down <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Salem</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> and the old Duck would take off in about 100 feet.<o:p></o:p>
I wish someone would do a Duck for FSX and in keeping with his Kingfisher, possibly Piglet would be interested. It played a part in one of my favorite movies in Murphy’s War. If you haven’t seen it, I can promise you quite a show.<o:p></o:p>

gajit
March 28th, 2009, 04:39
Hi Helldiver

That was great reading. Interesting days eh?

harleyman
March 28th, 2009, 04:47
HD... Very intresting indeed....I too love the ducks.....

i bet it was cool as heck hanging out with the mechanics...I am envious...LOL

Bone
March 28th, 2009, 04:49
That was great!

dswo
March 28th, 2009, 05:05
Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It's funny how the little details of life turn golden over the decades -- and not just for the people whose lives they were.

cheezyflier
March 28th, 2009, 06:30
But there was an Old Gold and a <st1:City><st1:place>Chesterfield</st1:place></st1:City> smoker. All short and no filters.<o:p></o:p>

weren't chesterfields the ones that came with the little coupon in the pack?
when my grandfather died, we found this huge stockpile of them. if they were s&h greenstamps they'd been worth a fortune.

Helldiver
March 28th, 2009, 07:28
No, as I remember it, it was Philip Morris that had the coupons. Of course, in my youth, I couldn't understand why they all didn't smoke "Wings" that had an airplane card on the package. When I learned to smoke, I understood why. Wings were made out of the floor sweepings.

gera
March 28th, 2009, 07:39
Hi Helldiver.....interesting piece of your youth, thanks. Colombia , Argentina, Brazil had Ducks for many years too and were used extensively during the war for shore patrols.
I remember the P-26, the Peashooter...Guatemala had them bach in 1952-53, I was born there. I would hear a far away rumble getting stronger very slowly and run to the garden. After a while as the noice becamming really loud, three tiny planes in a tight formation would take quite a long time to pass by. I still can hear that loud noice and the wonderful sight sticks in me as if it was yesterday....by the way the P-26 at the Air Museum in Washington was bought to the FAG, it was their last one.......

Helldiver
March 28th, 2009, 18:54
It all came to a screeching halt on December 7th 1941. I was turned away at the gate in no uncertain terms. The place rapidly fillled with more Coasties as they took on the guarding of the beaches and coastline with dogs. They would wander by about every hour. They caught three spies coming from a Nazi Submarine in Swampscott, so they were effective.

Kiwikat
March 28th, 2009, 19:08
I really hope some FSX developer builds the Duck. It would be a unique addition to anyone's hangar.

Here's a shot of a beautifully restored one at Airventure 2007.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/duck2007.jpg

pointy31
March 28th, 2009, 19:16
Helldiver, thank you so much for sharing that with us, and thanks for what you and your fellow servicemen did for our country. I salute you...:ernae:

Panther_99FS
March 28th, 2009, 19:38
Here ya' go Helldiver--> http://www.uscg.mil/history/CG_Photo_Index.asp :medals:

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 28th, 2009, 19:49
by the way the P-26 at the Air Museum in Washington was bought to the FAG, it was their last one.......

I thought I read that the Air Force Museum's Peashooter was acquired the same way - repurchased from some South American nation. It's amazing to think of a nation still flying them in the early 1950s - though here we are in 2009 and some DC-3s still fly for profit in certain places, so perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised.

That I'd also like to see done well for FSX.

jimjones
March 29th, 2009, 02:12
Great photo, kiwikat!!:applause:

limjack
March 29th, 2009, 07:20
Love little stories like this from the day, thanks Helldiver! Felt like I was right there at Plum island sitting on the bench with ya shooting the breeze.

Jim

PutPut
March 29th, 2009, 08:42
Patience is a virtue. I did a Duck for FS2004 that was very well received. I have a new one in the que for FSX Acceleration but it will probably be fall before it is done. It is not the easiest aircraft to model.

Cheers, Paul

Helldiver
March 29th, 2009, 10:00
Where's your Duck Putt Putt? I must have missed it.

icarus
March 29th, 2009, 10:50
just started a native fsx JF-2duck a week ago

Helldiver
March 29th, 2009, 11:29
I would like to beta the Duck for you. I still have a Monel spreader bar somewhere, from one that got it's wing crumbled against the ramp. They had lines on her but it made quite a "kite" with high winds blowing.

PutPut
March 29th, 2009, 11:30
Where's your Duck Putt Putt? I must have missed it.

It's GDUCK.ZIP at flightsim and simviation. The exterior model is good (IMHO) but it is one of my early VC's. Remember, I was dragged kicking and screaming into doing VC's at all. I have become fairly comfortable with them after about 3 years.:applause:

Paul

Navy Chief
March 29th, 2009, 11:54
Great story, Helldiver. I haven't heard the word, "Geedunk" in years. Your memories are priceless.

NC

JoeW
March 29th, 2009, 12:22
Have ya'll heard the word "Slopchute" lately?

Helldiver
March 29th, 2009, 17:31
Put Put, you did a remarkable job if it's the first one you made. The Coast Guard ones did not have the tail hook or those struts in top of the floats and the lower window was square. Although, I doubt very much if they ever landed on a carrier.
The Monel spreader bar I have is shown in the screen shot outlined in red. It's over 65 years old and looks like new, all bright and shiny.