PDA

View Full Version : They got to do something about the COT Ed!

Cazzie
March 27th, 2009, 03:49
Bristol is just not Bristol anymore. I never thought I'd see the day when a bristol NASCAR race was not a sell-out. Well, you could get tickets last week the day of the race and seats were still not filled. Use to be one had to order tickets at least a year in advance to guarantee a seat at Bristol. NASCAR blames the economy, I blame the COT. Just look at the few races run at Bristol with the COT, record few cautions, last week they even managed nearly 100 laps green flag racing, abismal, sacreligious, this just does not happen at Bristol!

NASCAR better get their eggs in order and briong back racing or more than the economy is going to effect its attraction of a fan base. At least FOX didn't take a night and a day to get the race started last week, far cry from California and Las vegas where they spent bearly two hours selling FOX goods and promoting themelves rather than getting to the meat of the matter, the race.

Caz

wombat666
March 27th, 2009, 15:35
Now, what was I predicting earlier this year?
Exactly the same at the AGP Caz, readily available tickets, most discounted, and a very poor attendance.
Sorry my old mate, it can only get worse and it has to do with people not having the money to splash out on non-essentials.
To be frank, I am only taking the GP weekend in because of Corporate Passes, discounted accomodation almost on Albert Park and perfect Autumn weather.
It helps spark my enthusiasm having friends driving in the support events as well.
:friday:

Panther_99FS
March 27th, 2009, 16:24
I actually like the COT....:kilroy:

Cazzie
March 27th, 2009, 17:15
Well among the hard core if NASCAR you'd be tar and feathered, for even suggesting something that would not support the mediocre Nature the sport Had become today. It will ride its course and then burn out and some other youth sort will become a fad.

But thr Bristol Stomp, synonymous for mayhrm on a track, is gone. The troulbe with NASCAR and F-1 is they have too many chiefs and not enough Indians calling th shots. The mystique that was uniquely Bristol was done in by that POS COT.

Martinsville was a rained during quals today, But I didn't make it, If it's clear Sunday, I'll be in Turn 2 just before th short staight.

smoores
March 27th, 2009, 19:55
I'd wait to see the nationwide COT before there should be any changes. But its easy to say that Nascar's project has failed, including the chase.

EasyEd
March 27th, 2009, 20:37
Hey All,

Caz I think the track changes are what "messed up" Bristol not the COT. Having reworked the track to have a second groove means side by side works fine. Used to be the low groove worked and you were strooed if you got on the highside. As a result drivers fought bumping each other out of the way for the low groove. Thats what led to the fights throwing stuff and everything. People liked that. With no need to do that it is a much more boring race. That and the economic times are slowing people down more than the car.

I'm not a huge fan of the COT but it isn't that bad.

I don't for one minute believe that NASCAR has failed with the COT and the Chase format. They are just different than what used to be done is all. I think it is good the title isn't decided halfway through the season. I think it is good there are more cars on the lead lap at the end of races than there used to be. You'll notice that league championships are decided by playoffs and championship series/games like the world series, the NBA Championship, the Superbowl, the Stanley Cup and more. Racing using some variation of this format is just fine. I do think if the first race of the year is at Daytona the last really should be at Indianapolis not Homestead.

There is really no validity to saying the way it used to be done was better lets go back to that for one simple reason. You can never recreate what made the past better because it was a combination of the people, the times, the economics, (stuff didn't cost so much then) the equipment and just the mentality and values of the way people were back then - you can never go back.

-Ed-

Cazzie
March 30th, 2009, 07:45
Hey All,

Caz I think the track changes are what "messed up" Bristol not the COT. Having reworked the track to have a second groove means side by side works fine. Used to be the low groove worked and you were strooed if you got on the highside. As a result drivers fought bumping each other out of the way for the low groove. Thats what led to the fights throwing stuff and everything. People liked that. With no need to do that it is a much more boring race. That and the economic times are slowing people down more than the car.

I'm not a huge fan of the COT but it isn't that bad.

I don't for one minute believe that NASCAR has failed with the COT and the Chase format. They are just different than what used to be done is all. I think it is good the title isn't decided halfway through the season. I think it is good there are more cars on the lead lap at the end of races than there used to be. You'll notice that league championships are decided by playoffs and championship series/games like the world series, the NBA Championship, the Superbowl, the Stanley Cup and more. Racing using some variation of this format is just fine. I do think if the first race of the year is at Daytona the last really should be at Indianapolis not Homestead.

There is really no validity to saying the way it used to be done was better lets go back to that for one simple reason. You can never recreate what made the past better because it was a combination of the people, the times, the economics, (stuff didn't cost so much then) the equipment and just the mentality and values of the way people were back then - you can never go back.

-Ed-

Well, they.ve done nothing to Martinsville, and it sure was one dull event with little mix up. I almost would like to thank the Lord for Robbie Gordon and Scott Speed or there would have been no action yesterday! The COT sucks for us dyed-in-the-wool NASCAR people, it ain't our form of motorsports anymore!

Caz

Ferry_vO
March 30th, 2009, 08:03
I'd say they COT car still needs some development on the aero and the tyres, the chase is still a silly idea IMHO.

Unfortunately motorsport is still very expensive and most can't afford to risk loosing points (=money) by crashing out of the race.

Cazzie
March 30th, 2009, 09:20
You didn;t have to bring up that Ferry! LOL

Just another joke NASDCAR has passed on to we patrons!

It is a pity when someone can win 13 out of 33 races in a year and not win the Championship, but it happens in NASCAR. Just plain out and out stupid.

Caz

wombat666
March 30th, 2009, 09:40
I'd say they COT car still needs some development on the aero and the tyres, the chase is still a silly idea IMHO.
Unfortunately motorsport is still very expensive and most can't afford to risk loosing points (= money) by crashing out of the race.

I must admit to being puzzled by the anti COT views.
As I understand it (just me, myself) the step to a really standardised car is what NASCAR has been about for many years.

The aero package is simple, no rocket science required.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bodyshells are the same, they just wear a 'manufacturer's' decal?

I'm mightily impressed by the engines, just keeping a pushrod V8 together at up to 9000RPM is outstanding!!!:applause:

And I know that setting up an oval tracker is a black art, while I have nothing but admiration for the drivers, just keeping the equipment from sliding up or slipping down the banking is hard enough, based on my '5oth Birthday Treat' experience of driving an elderly (Geriatric in fact!) NASCAR on the now defunct 'Thunderdome' oval

However (and there's always one!) ..... the so-called 'tyre problem' seems to be linked to a few other issues, running a symmetrical chassis, not understanding the aero package and deviating from tyre pressures that Goodyear (is it Goodyear?) regard as 'safe' is going to be the cause of much angst.

To be frank, NASCAR runs stone age 'technology'.
Single carb pushrod V8s, live rear ends, a tube frame, all housed in a basic standard bodyshell should not cause the experienced teams a problem.
Of course, when the people involved are looking for a loophole then it becomes 'difficult'.

I agree with Ferry that 'The Chase' is silly, indeed, I'll even go as far as to say the whole idea is 'Showbiz' gone bad, not even the FIA weenies are stupid enough to attempt to turn so-called 'Entertainment' into 'Farce'.

As for our own series, it's run by some bloody idiots as well.
The opening Championship round was run in Adelaide a week before the AGP, the second Championshp round takes place in Hamilton (NZ) next weekend.
However, a three race non-points round was run over the AGP weekend, and it was mandatory, no excuses.
Several teams with cars damaged in Adelaide ran last years model or even second level 'Development Series' equipment.
Both the team engineers I know well made a point of telling me that all their fellow competitors were running to an agreed 'demonstration' plan.
In other words, no serious racing, whoever gets away well will not be challenged and 'no passing' if it means even scratching the cars ....... :kilroy:
'Formation Flying' was the way one friend put it.

"Unfortunately motorsport is still very expensive and most can't afford to risk losing points (= money) by crashing out of the race."
How true Ferry, especially when there were no points on offer and the next Championship round is a couole of thousand kilometres and six days away!!!

Ferry_vO
March 30th, 2009, 10:15
Actually the basic technology of NASCAR might be 'old school' but all the equipment used to set the car up rivals that of any F1 team. A Dutch magazine visited the Red Bull team a while ago and was surprised by what they found. Will try to find that article again, interesting read!

The Chase may sound silly, but don't forget Bernie's plan to make the F1 driver with the most wins the champion, no matter how many points the others have... Let's say Button wins the first seven races, but after that Ferrari, BMW and Renault manage to improve their car because they have more money and divide the points of the rest of the ten remaining races among them. Hamilton never wins a race, but manages to get on the podium every round. Button's BGP car can't be further developed and he barely manages to score some points. Lewis has well over 110 points at the end off the season, but Button has only 85, but is still the champion because of his early season wins..

People seem to forget that a full racing season is a tactical game. Sometimes you need to settle for second or third rather than risk it all to win.

wombat666
March 30th, 2009, 11:18
The Chase may sound silly, but don't forget Bernie's plan to make the F1 driver with the most wins the champion, no matter how many points the others have... Let's say Button wins the first seven races, but after that Ferrari, BMW and Renault manage to improve their car because they have more money and divide the points of the rest of the ten remaining races among them. Hamilton never wins a race, but manages to get on the podium every round. Button's BGP car can't be further developed and he barely manages to score some points. Lewis has well over 110 points at the end off the season, but Button has only 85, but is still the champion because of his early season wins..

But Ferry, we know Bernie is a certifiable nutcase ....... :jump: