PDA

View Full Version : X-Graphics ?

jimjones
March 26th, 2009, 06:44
When X graphics is used with Active Sky X and FSX, what happens to the default FSX texture files for clouds? Are they temporarily swapped out with X Graphics files and put back in place when FSX is exited?

I see that there are cloud texture files in the FSX\texture folder, but their dates do not seem to change when Active Sky X, X Graphics and FSX are running. If these files don't change then where are the texture files FSX uses for display located while running?

I'm considering purchasing FEX and want to know what default cloud texture files to backup that would be replaced by FEX textures.

harleyman
March 26th, 2009, 08:00
I believe that once you pick your X graphics textures , they overwrite the default ones, and are loaded at each start of FSX....

They do not revert back to FSX default unless you use the X Graphics and restore back from there...Thats the way AS6 works and most texture overwrites anyway as I understand it...

To run FEX after X Graphice you just need to use X graphics interface and restore back to FSX textures..It should have had you back them up before anything was installed

jimjones
March 27th, 2009, 03:05
Thanks Mason for your response. I feel confident now in knowing what is going on. Found the backup files. Was a bit confused until you set me straight. :jump:

harleyman
March 27th, 2009, 04:09
:welcome:

Now to switch from ASX textures to your new FEX textures just go into your ASX Graphice interface and tell it to restore default textures...

Once that is done you are back at stock FSX textures...

Then install your FEX textures, next fron its interface maks a back of default again ..

now you can switch back and forth from FEX to ASX if you want by just restoring back to default and reinstalling the textures you want....

BTW...All of those programs (ASX and FEX) can sit on another drive off FSX and have their backups installed off FSX too...

FAC257
March 27th, 2009, 09:21
If you were to use the newer ASA instead of ASX then you wouldn't have to do the de-install and re-install to switch from ASG to FEX. Using ASA you can load both ASG/X-Graphics and FEX at the same time and switch between the two or any combo of the two on the fly.

Once you have the ASG/XG and FEX programs loaded then you can either let ASA create it's on random "Snapshots" using various combos of the two or you can custom create specific combos. For example you could use the clouds from one and the water textures from the other.

Once you've custom designed a combo or singular version of the graphics you like from the programs then you install that combo into FSX. Once it's installed then you take the Snapshot of that combo and it will be added to the list of available Snapshots that ASA can choose from when it starts up.

Once you have more than one Snapshot loaded then you should be able to set both ASG/XG and FEX back to default FSX, but yet ASA would still be able to pull what it needs to create the randoms combo sets each time it starts up.

ASA should work with all or any of this type of weather, water, ground texture graphics programs. ASA is ASX, but just a heck of a lot more powerful and versatile.

Here's a quote from HiFi/Jim.....
"The Snapshot system was developed because we knew that X Graphics is not the only texture program that people like to use. So this system treats everyone's texture program the same way; you save texture sets in Snapshots. With XG you can auto generate sets without loading them into FSX."

jimjones
March 27th, 2009, 11:40
Thanks Gents for the info. Quite a lot of flexibility. I only have the ASX version so I'll be a little limited. Lots to learn and experiment. So far just the default looks great.

harleyman
March 27th, 2009, 12:36
:ernae: :applause: