PDA

View Full Version : XML Core Services SP2

JoeW
March 26th, 2009, 06:24
I seem to be in a rut with this this morning. I have installed it about 5 times and it's installing again. Do I need to shut down AVG? and AdAware?
This is an automatic update that just goes on and on.

cheezyflier
March 26th, 2009, 06:29
I seem to be in a rut with this this morning. I have installed it about 5 times and it's installing again. Do I need to shut down AVG? and AdAware?
This is an automatic update that just goes on and on.

i shut off all auto updating, and do it myself. otherwise, things like to update at the most inconvienient times.

Wing_Z
March 26th, 2009, 12:33
Not that it helps you...I also have a machine that wants to do this over and over.
However I have another one that does not.
Go figure.

JoeW
March 26th, 2009, 15:16
I turned off the auto update and some of the registry programs, Adaware is one, Registry Mechanic is another., and went to the MS Update site. It showed the XML service as needing to be installed but the file size is "0" and the length of time for the download is "0". I think it's some kind of error in the registry. I have a email to Microsoft about it.
They are pretty good about fixing things if it's their programs.

Dangerousdave26
March 26th, 2009, 17:27
Joe I ran into this just last week with another update.

The reason why it says 0kb and 0 down load time is the PC has already down loaded it and it knows it did.

Just tell go to the Windows update and do it manually it was the only way I could get the update to work. Automatically it was stuck.

Good luck

demorier
March 26th, 2009, 22:17
I do manual update as well. When I bought my machine it had Vista SP1 on it. It had a XML error popping up all the time (especially starting Nero's main menu page). A little search at M$ found a hot fix for it , downloaded and installed it , worked fine then. Every time for months after it would list the same XML fix to install. I ended up just blocking the update. Haven't had further problems with it.

JoeW
March 27th, 2009, 07:03
I went into the update area this morning to manually install it and found that it had installed 18 times, and was still trying to install. Every install in the history was successful and yet it was still trying to install. It's gotta be some entry in the registry that doing that.
I hope MS calls soon..... I'm moving and may not be near the phone.

JoeW
March 27th, 2009, 23:58
Ok .... I got a reply from MS this morning. All you guys that are having this problem ...... heres the "cure".

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Jay, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1097734283. You can contact me directly by sending an email to v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
First, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your support request. Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
From the problem description, I understand that Security Update for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) was released and installed repeatedly. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.<o:p></o:p>
I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to resolve the issue.<o:p></o:p>
This issue occurs when the components of MSXML 4.0 SP2 are not working properly. We can reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 and then reinstall its update KB954430 to troubleshoot this issue.<o:p></o:p>
Please take the following steps to troubleshooting the issue.<o:p></o:p>
Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility <o:p></o:p>
==========================================<o:p></o:p>
1. Visit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe <o:p></o:p>
2. Please save the file on your Desktop<o:p></o:p>
3. Please double click the msicuu2.exe file to install it onto your computer. <o:p></o:p>
Step 2: Remove MSXML 4.0 <o:p></o:p>
====================<o:p></o:p>
1. Click Start -> All Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up. <o:p></o:p>
2. Please locate and remove MSXML 4.0 software.<o:p></o:p>
Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2<o:p></o:p>
==============================<o:p></o:p>
1. Please refer to the following link to download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 again<o:p></o:p>
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c/msxml.msi <o:p></o:p>
2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.<o:p></o:p>
3. After downloading this file, please double-click the "msxml.msi" file on the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically. <o:p></o:p>
After reinstalling MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2, please move on to step 4 to install the update KB954430.<o:p></o:p>
Step 4: Reinstall Security Update for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)<o:p></o:p>
================================================== ====<o:p></o:p>
1. Please download the update from the following link:<o:p></o:p>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=96a4413c-5261-4f69-83d0-932c430abd14&DisplayLang=en<o:p></o:p>
2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and follow the directions to save it to the Desktop. <o:p></o:p>
3. After downloading this file, please double-click the file on the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically.<o:p></o:p>
4. After finishing the above steps, please check the result on the Windows Update website again.<o:p></o:p>
Please perform the above suggestions and let me know the result. However, if the issue persists, please collect the following information for further research:<o:p></o:p>
How to capture a Screenshot:<o:p></o:p>
=======================<o:p></o:p>
1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.<o:p></o:p>
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.<o:p></o:p>
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.<o:p></o:p>
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com (v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com). <o:p></o:p>
How to collect the Windows Update log file:<o:p></o:p>
================================<o:p></o:p>
Note: There are two Windows Update log files with similar names, we will be using the "WindowsUpdate.log" file without a space in the middle of the name. <o:p></o:p>
1. Click on Start, Run and type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) <o:p></o:p>
2. Click on the OK button. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" <o:p></o:p>
3. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As" and select "Desktop" in the "Save in" option on the top of the window. <o:p></o:p>
4. Click on the Save button. The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please send the file as an attachment in an email to v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com (v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com) <o:p></o:p>
However, if the file is unable to be collected by the above steps, we can also use the following method to collect it.<o:p></o:p>
1. Click "Start", "Run", type: %windir% and then press Enter. <o:p></o:p>
2. In the open window, we will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"<o:p></o:p>
3. Please send it as an attachment to: v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com (v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com) <o:p></o:p>
Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.<o:p></o:p>
Thank you for your cooperation. Please try the steps shown above and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.<o:p></o:p>
I am looking forward to your reply. <o:p></o:p>
Best Regards,<o:p></o:p>
<st1:personname w:st="on">Jay Yan</st1:personname><o:p></o:p>
v-30jay@mssupport.microsoft.com <o:p></o:p>
Microsoft Windows Update Professional <o:p></o:p>
----------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
Very satisfied customers are my top priority. <o:p></o:p>
Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager, Charles Zhang at v-30chzh@mssupport.microsoft.com.<o:p></o:p>
You also can use our phone support. A phone engineer will be assigned to assist you going forward and he/she will have the access to the up-to-date case notes of the original case. You can call 1-866-234-6020 by reference our case ID.<o:p></o:p>

demorier
March 28th, 2009, 01:36
Thanks for posting Joe.

Have taken a copy of that text in case it happens when I do the Vista service pack 2 update.

It still doesn't explain why the problem occurs with that particular update.

Did this fix actually work ?? please let us know if you wouldn't mind.

JoeW
March 28th, 2009, 03:54
It did work ...... I no longer have it trying to install. I even have the Auto-update back on.
I'm not sure that it will work the same with Vista.. I have XP .

demorier
March 28th, 2009, 16:33
Roger that Joe...thanks.