jdhaenens
October 12th, 2008, 08:34
Coming along nicely....

Nick C
October 12th, 2008, 09:09
Looking good Jim. :applause::applause::applause:

spotlope
October 12th, 2008, 09:31
Looking sweet, Jim. I like that night lighting. You have a lot of patience as a modeler, my friend. :icon_lol:

Marlin
October 12th, 2008, 10:14
Cool looking hangers, good job.

All right this seems like it might the time to ask why a plane, while it is in hanger, casts a shadow on the ground? As the sun can't shine through the 'tin' roof.

I have seen this with a lot of things and I don't get it.:isadizzy:

jdhaenens
October 12th, 2008, 10:23
It's a quirk of the rendering engine.

Thanks, Guys. It's not really patience, it's more like seething anger and refusal to let the computer beat me.:d It happens anyway, but not without a fight.:costumes:

michael davies
October 12th, 2008, 11:52
The problem with scenery is that it wont show internal shadows, its not designed to work out the interior and what sort of shadow that will produce, so scenery shadows are only outside and as the sim is concerned those planes are outside.

You used to be able to trick it in FS9 or older with an invisible shelter on another BGL, what you basically do is make a simple domed shaped shelter with the ends enclosed, then lift if off the ground a foot or so, that will give a square ground foot print shadow, next to make invisible you just apply a simple 64x64 texture over the whole shape and then apply a full transparency alpha channel to that texture to make it invisible.

I don't know enough about FSx materials and transparency layers just yet but the same principle might work, in fact you only need a flat plate the size of the floor area just above the ground to achieve the same effect, no need for the full dome model. The flat plate will cast a ground shadow in the shelter, the alpha transparency will mean you don't see it, though the aircraft might cast a shadow on the plate and that might lift it a little, you'd need to play with the heights a little to minimise the shadow step as aircraft go in and out of the hanger.

The theory should be sound, the practice might not be so easy to implement.

Best

Michael

huub vink
October 12th, 2008, 12:46
Coming along nicely....

It definitely does!

Huub

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2008, 13:41
Looks great Jim!! BTW how did you get the lighting in the last image on the tarmac?

jdhaenens
October 12th, 2008, 15:28
@ Michael D: since SP-2 I haven't been able to reproduce many of the FS9 tricks. I'd gotten it to where you couldn't see a shadow until you looked at it straight on, but that was a little disconcerting, so I left it as is.

@Michael C: you have a PM with the secret formula:jump:

Regards,

Jim

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2008, 15:41
@Michael C: you have a PM with the secret formula:jump:

Regards,

Jim

:monkies::monkies::monkies::monkies:

spotlope
October 12th, 2008, 16:36
This might be a good candidate for volumetric shadowing, which would look great with this model. Of course, it requires manifold geometry, which might be more trouble than it's worth, depending on how the hangar is currently designed. I used volumetrics for the long glider hangar at Dillingham, and it turned out pretty well.

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2008, 16:54
This might be a good candidate for volumetric shadowing, which would look great with this model.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, I have used that shadowing check box on a few scenery models that don't have manifold modeling and it's 50/50 on what works. Really looking forward to the new lighting in FS11, hope it's easy to implement with scenery models.

BananaBob
October 12th, 2008, 17:53
Looking awesome, like the night lighting also! :applause::applause::applause:

jmig
October 12th, 2008, 18:49
Looks fantastic Jim. Again, your skills are amazing.

jdhaenens
October 12th, 2008, 20:04
Volume shadowing works! It even takes care of the nasty sun-shows- through-the-building shadows. And the bracing looks REAL good.

Thanks guys!

michael davies
October 12th, 2008, 22:21
Volume shadowing works! It even takes care of the nasty sun-shows- through-the-building shadows. And the bracing looks REAL good.

Thanks guys!

Is this applied at source or is it a sim setting ?, that shadowing is just what I need for the carriers !.

Initially I did think volumetric shadows would be the answer, but I didnt even know the sim was capable of that ?, hence the old shadow poly trick from previous sims.

Looks good now though :applause:

Best

Michael

BananaBob
October 12th, 2008, 22:26

Thanks guys!

Wow, didn't know you could have self shadowing inside like that, guess that's what you guys are talking about, LOL! :d :applause::applause::applause:

jdhaenens
October 13th, 2008, 02:55
Volume shadowing is applied by material on the material editor of either gmax or 3DS Max. It's just a checkbox. The only rules to use is that the material you apply must be applied to a manifold object. That part will then exhibit the Volume shadow attributes. In the case of the H.A.S. I applied it to the major green color and the green color of the steel braces on the doors. I had to remake the parts somewhat to get rid of the parts that had more than one material applied, but in this case it paid off handsomely.

The clue that you haven't got it right is to enable scenery shadows in the sim. Those parts that you thought were manifold (but really weren't) will have shadows that follow you everywhere. This is the sim's way of telling you that you can't compute the volume of a plane. Kinda like dividing by zero.

Jim

michael davies
October 13th, 2008, 10:37
Volume shadowing is applied by material on the material editor of either gmax or 3DS Max. It's just a checkbox. The only rules to use is that the material you apply must be applied to a manifold object. That part will then exhibit the Volume shadow attributes. In the case of the H.A.S. I applied it to the major green color and the green color of the steel braces on the doors. I had to remake the parts somewhat to get rid of the parts that had more than one material applied, but in this case it paid off handsomely.

The clue that you haven't got it right is to enable scenery shadows in the sim. Those parts that you thought were manifold (but really weren't) will have shadows that follow you everywhere. This is the sim's way of telling you that you can't compute the volume of a plane. Kinda like dividing by zero.

Jim

Brilliant, only draw back I can see is that to manifold parts you need to close off back facing areas ?, that'll ramp up the poly count for sure, none the less some testing will be in order in the very near future.

I'm not sure it will work on boats, does it work on planes or is it for scenery only ?, if it works on planes then it might be a good substitute for the poorly rendered offset shadows we currently have ?, yours dont look offset in that image. I suspect volumetric only works on scenery and not moving planes and boats ?, will have to test and see.

Best

Michael

jdhaenens
October 13th, 2008, 11:09
The rules are the same for DX-10 VC's ...manifold objects are required to do self shadowing so it may indeed work on the interior of the ships (inside the outermost bounding box perhaps?).

spotlope
October 13th, 2008, 13:58
Looking great, Jim! It seemed like that model might already be manifold, or at least a good candidate for tweaking. Michael, self-shadowing works on all FSX objects. The manifold requirement does up the poly count, but it can be kept within reason if you know at the start of modeling that you'll need to build that way. Also, the switch is applied to materials, so you can mix larger parts with volumetrics with smaller ones that aren't manifold. All they need is to use separate materials, but then again that calls for more draw calls. Not sure which has the greatest drag on performance. For buildings, it's a no-brainer, as they don't have that many polys to begin with.