PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone doing carrier Op's ?

aairon
March 24th, 2009, 20:39
I've been practicing approaches and landings using a Supermarine Type 398 Attacker
Only because it's straight wing and lands much slower then the god awful F4 that's supplied, If they really fly like that it raises bar on the respect I have for the guy's who really flew them to and from carriers, I'd like to know if there is some secret to catapult takeoffs?

Mithrin
March 25th, 2009, 02:24
Make sure you don't try to land with full fuel/ordnance. I think the pilots call in and say their aircraft type and fuel status so that they can set the strength on the cables. You should be able to get a pretty flat approach at around 140kts. Good thing that the carriers in XP9 also move! That helps a bit though it can throw off your approach the first few times because of tha angled deck.

Doing this makes you understand, that even after they are fully certified on the aircraft, they still have to do a good 100 virtual landings in the sim first. It's tough business.

aairon
March 25th, 2009, 12:25
I'm able to land successfully most of the time and can go around when needed but I'm still confused by what seems like very low speed for minimum flap deployment like damage at anything above 150 kts?
Also does anyone know what it takes to get off the carrier deck? is there a procedure like Flight deck for FSX? I've been searching with no success.

Boomer
March 25th, 2009, 12:26
What kind of secret are you referring to?

It will automatically grab your plane for the cat launch once you taxi over the cable. I forget the key press to then launch but it is displayed on screen.

Boomer
March 25th, 2009, 12:28
Sorry we posted at the same time...

I have only done traps & cats with the F4 thus far but in it all you have to do is taxi on to the cat & it will automatically lock you down for the cat launch.

There may be something in the aircrafts cfg that enables this like FSX but if so dont have the answer.

aairon
March 25th, 2009, 12:39
Thanks I'll give that a try I'm still playing around with views I think I have if figured out so I can try the F-4 again. Thanks again.

aairon
March 25th, 2009, 16:38
night landings in the EA-6B with wind and rain off the cal coast you can't go wrong with the EA-6 I don't know how accruate the model is but it's pretty forgiving.