PDA

View Full Version : Sovjet Radio-Calls

skybolt66
March 24th, 2009, 03:13
:northkorea: Hi, flying D.Nole's "Migs over Korea"-missions I'll like to hear adequate
radiocalls or give orders to wingmen. Someone any idea where to get those addons? Must be similary like russian to use in CFS2.
Thanks for posts here.
skybolt66.

sc7500
March 24th, 2009, 18:53
Howdy Sky ~

Please referr to the discussion page below:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=122085

The info you seek is about 1/2 down the page

SC
:kilroy:

skybolt66
March 25th, 2009, 01:24
Thanks SC,
I tried it, but no success ! I'm not shure it's compatible whith
CFS 2, maybe soundfiles must be transfered to other options. Also there is no advice on that site.
What would we be whithout searching ?? :fishing:
skybolt66.

sc7500
March 25th, 2009, 17:01
Howdy Skybolt;

I'll have to do some digging [or perhaps a quicker person on here will know where to look], but there WAS a certain procedure necessary to get the in-flight voices to work...

Ah - Here's a bit of it !

Copied from the install file of:

fvb_german_radio_calls.zip

--------------------------------------------------

CFS2 Misc - German radio chatter for Combat Flight Simulator 2. Enables you to hear German radio chatter in missions and quick combat with no need for adding it through mission builder.

Michael Brookshire a.k.a. Franz von Baron

brooky1969@yahoo.com

INSTALL: Drop all .gvr, .gvt, and .gvi files in your CFS2/sound/radio folder and make sure your German section in your country.cfg file (root folder) has short_name=GER. May also have to have allegiance=2 in the misc data section of the airplane's dp file you are flying.

LEGAL: This is freeware and is not permitted in any way to be used in a commerical product or sold for any reason.

I claim no responsibility for damages incurred while using these files! Use at your own risk.

sounds by Microsoft used in CFS1 and CFS3

splitgvr by Martin Wright used to compile sounds, all credit goes to Martin for making possible the use of other nationality sounds in CFS2. Thanks wizard!
-----------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried these myself, but will when there's more time. If you get them working and learn a few tricks in the process, PLEASE post the info here for us all to learn from !

Best
SC
:kilroy:

skybolt66
March 25th, 2009, 23:53
Thanks again SC, german radiocalls are in my store to use when needed!
There are several WWII-Eastern-Europe-missions flyable from "both sides",
but joining to russians....=> no radiocalls !! Any few version would make
missions a little more realistic...of corse! Maybe any mission-author or "createur" can upload those next time...looking for.:welcome:
skybolt66.

miamieagle
March 26th, 2009, 04:48
That would be really nice!:ernae:

Have you looked here http://www.simviation.com/cfs2misc13.htm

skybolt66
March 26th, 2009, 05:40
.... roger, eagle 1 ! I looked in sev. sites whith giving in "russian" by searchfuction, but no
RADIOCALLS !
skybolt66.

xavierb
March 26th, 2009, 13:36
If I recall correctly there were two or three topics lost on the last server crash that dealt with creating new radio chatter files. I recall it was very tricky, because the files must have a certain size, otherwise they do not work, so a lot of soundfile editing and patience is needed. Anyway, an equally more challenging problem is to find volunteers to actually record the voices: they must be nationals of the country, have a good voice and above all know the exact terminology used 70 years ago...

skybolt66
March 26th, 2009, 23:03
O.k. xavierb, I know it's imposs. to create radiocalls in every language!
But something like an "international radiocom " would be nice to hear+see
wingmen's reaction. Let's keep CFS2 alive !!:amen:

erufle
March 27th, 2009, 06:21
I think adding more languages to CFS2 is important and has been something we have overlooked. It would be great if those of you in countries that speak something other than English and German could make the recordings for us. I am not familiar enough with all the intricacies of CFS2 to be able to finish the job, but I know how to use Audacity software. If someone needs to do someone editing I don't mind donating a little time to help. :amen:

erufle
March 27th, 2009, 06:36
OK, so I have found voice files for other games. I think, when I find some time, I'll try to put then into CFS2 and see what happens. Anybody else interested in this? :help:

Shadow Wolf 07
March 27th, 2009, 07:53
As a trained, certifed Russisan linguist I could manage the linquistc part but the technical aspects of making the recordings are above my level of expertise :faint:

erufle
March 27th, 2009, 13:06
Well, I can take most sound files and run them through a converter, then use split gvr to get them into CFS2. The problem is two-fold. First, they do have to be of the same size or smaller than the original. Second, you can only replace files that are already in the sim and not add new ones. That means we could create a collection of files that replace the stock ones. Thus turning an English sim into, say, a Russian one. But I don't know how to create a set that is strictly add-on.

I suppose I could try replacing all the old files (lets say, the English ones for example)with Russian and then take them out of the sim and rename them. However, I do not know if there is a way to to activate them in a country cfg. file if they were added back into a sim as a Russian language radio pack. Any ideas?

erufle
March 27th, 2009, 13:51
Yep! thats how Von Baron did it. " . . . rename the file that you modified, and it's corresponding files to the three letter nationality abbreviation you are planning to use it as to whatever the three letter name is as defined in your country.cfg file in your root CFS2 folder. (in this case we'll use Germany which is defined as GER in the country.cfg file.) So rename jpn01.gvi, jpn01.gvr, and jpn01.gvt to ger01.gvi, ger01.gvr, and ger01.gvt respectively."

Now that I know how to do it I just need to try it, but I am pretty sure this will work. The tricky part is to get Russian language files of the right file size from Shadow Wolf 07. SW07 . . . can you make the recordings and be sure they are the right size? If you could do that and e-mail them to me I think I can do the rest. PM me if ya think you can do it.

Shadow Wolf 07
March 27th, 2009, 15:38
I've never recorded voice on my computer before. Let me give it a try. which sound groups in which folders?

skybolt66
March 28th, 2009, 00:04
Whow !! I'm very amazed about my suggestion. Activating souch "avalanche" of positive reactions shows: Many CFS2-users are missing souch addons. What about new missions+campaigns ?
There are sev. wars worldwide last time, think it isn't macabre to fly parts of. Modern planes +helis are stored, motive to speculate ?:rocket:
skybolt66.

erufle
March 28th, 2009, 06:28
It very easy to make a sound pack for any of the files except the RADIO files. That's the one we need to target. All of the other files have the extension .wav and anybody can make .wav file for these. Sound recordings for the RADIO files are .gvr files and the only way to make them is to use Martin Wright's Split GVR program. Yesterday, I figured out how to make a sound pack by reading Franz Von Baron's tutorial. SC750 has posted a link to his website and I will repeat it below.
The tutorial can be found by downloading either his German or English radio packs. This is what we want to do, only we want ours to be in Russian. I recommend you download and read the tutorial so that you understand what I have to do with the recordings. I will set out the rules so you can look at the tutorial and understand why they are what they are:

1. The recordings can be of any any common computer file type. I will post a list of the file types I can convert in a few minutes, but the file type I need to convert it to so that I can edit it is .wav. Any Windows Media file can be converted to a .wav.

2. Try to make the recordings as brief as possible. Listen to the original English version and time it so that it is of the same length or shorter. In fact, it works best if you take the original English phrase and shorten it a bit. Remember, CFS2 will only let me replace a GVR file with one that is the same size or smaller. So, if you make a recording that is the same length as the original and I convert it to a .wav file for editing, I will still probably have to cut it down a little to make it fit. That is allright, I can do it because most of us draw out some syllables a little and have ample dead time between words. For instance, my mother was a Texan so I draw out the aaaaa sound a lot (southern drawal). That's OK, I just edit out my drawl to reduce the file size.

That's about it. If anybody else wants me to work on a sound pack for a language other than English or German (and hopefully Russian) let me know so we can work it out.

I downloaded the EAW files mentioned in one of the above postings. These files are .snd files. They apparently originated on Atari game systems. I found a player that is supposed to play them but it did not work on the files I downloaded. So, if anybody knows how to convert these files to a .wav file let me know.

erufle
March 28th, 2009, 07:12
What I do is:
1) Take the raw file and convert it to a .wav using AVS Audio Converter. I do not know exactly which file types AVS will convert, but I know it will convert Windows Media files others.

2) Next, I take the .wav file and edit it to size using Audacity.

3) The edited file then goes into CFS2/SOUND/Radio using Martin Wright's split GVR. To do this you have to replace the files already installed. I am going to replace the English language files so I know what I am replacing.

4) Then, I take the files I have replaced and rename them by replacing the three letter country code used in the country.cfg file. In this case usa01 will be changed to rus01.

5) Finally, the renamed files are placed back into CFS2/SOUNDS/Radio and the country.cfg file is edited as:

[country.#]
name=USSR
short_name=RUS
nationality=Soviet
heading=oclock

I am in the process of re-doing a small set of English language radio files I'll call Marines (because my brief edited voice sounds rather gruff). If they work when I put them back into CFS2, I'll know I have the process mastered. I'll let you all know later today.

erufle
March 28th, 2009, 07:37
I might add that Franz Von Baron includes a .wav file in his radio packs that adds static to the files. Using Audacity, you simply import a .wav file that includes the message you want and import his Static file into the same window and Audacity combines them into a single .wav file.

I might also add that UncleTgt has donated a program to me that may help me do something with the EAW files. Thanks UncleTgt, and wish me luck. :friday:

erufle
March 28th, 2009, 08:03
Sorry for if I hijacked this thread Skybolt66! I'll start a new one.

Shadow Wolf 07
March 28th, 2009, 09:49
If you can convert the GVR files and send them to me it would help a lot. Then my only learning would be how to create the audio clips. My specialty was with ground forces, but I do know soviet/russian radio jargon. How do we reproduce that gravelly throat mike sound the the stock xmissions have? Maybe some could be pulled of IL2 FB if you have it too.(?)

kelticheart
March 28th, 2009, 10:50
....Anyway, an equally more challenging problem is to find volunteers to actually record the voices: they must be nationals of the country, have a good voice and above all know the exact terminology used 70 years ago...

Hi Erufle!

I got your PM and the answer is yes, I'd be interested in making an Italian radio chatter pack but, as Xavier already pointed out, I have no idea which slang Italian pilots used 70 years ago over the radio.

Keep in mind also that in the first part of the war Italian fighter pilots despised radioes for not being the best technology around and the conspicous weight which was added to their planes. Much like Japanese pilots in the early part of the war.

Fiat CR.42 Falcos didn't even carry radio equipment and this brings up a sorry subject already covered when Rami worked on the Italian (ridicolous) participation during the late Battle of Britain. Open cockpits biplanes armed with just a pair of machine guns and no radio over the Channel, in November 1940 against battle hardened, with a strong victory attitude since they had repelled the Luftwaffe already, Spitfire and Hurricane pilots........no further comments are needed here. :faint:

Italian ace Luigi Gorrini released very bitter comments about that period in his web interview of a few years ago, his CR.42 squadron was sent to Belgium and he lived through that ordeal.

I read somewhere radio equipment was field removed by many pilots in North Africa in their open cockpit Fiat G-50's and Macchi 200's. When the C.202 was deployed, things improved because it was equipped with a German-made radio. :gossip:

I wouldn't mind recording Italian hand signals...........:bananapowerslide:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

erufle
March 28th, 2009, 17:54
I can understand your thinking regarding Italian pilots not using radios. However, many of us have the radio on when we fly Italian missions so that we can react accordingly. Besides, having an Italian voice in the sim would give those of us from other countries a better experience; more immersion if you know what I mean. There is no hurry. But if you want to help just download Martin Wright's split gvr program from http://www.fly.to/mwgfx and listen to the gvr files named usa01, usa02, usa03, etc. and make a very brief recording of an equivalent Italian phrase.

I don't know if attempting to use authentic wwII Italian pilot phrases would work anyway because CFS2 initiates gvr audio files when you make a specific command. For instance, when you order your wingmen to attack, CFS2 initiates a gvr file that is associated with that command. In this case, the gvr file that is initiated is a recording of a man saying "ATTACK." What I am trying to say is that the recordings I need are direct translations of the files in CFS2/SOUND/Radio. Plug a microphone into your computer (if there is not one already built in) and record the Italian equivalent of "ATTACK" in a brief, excited, and loud voice. Then, just e-mail the audio file to me. I'll do the rest. Then, continue with the rest of recordings in CFS2/SOUND/Radio.

Adding the radio static is no problem. Franz Von Baron has supplied us with a radio static file that my Audacity program simply merges with the voice recordings. We could even make a gvr file imitating several excited pilots all trying to talk at the same time, when in reality, all of the pilots are the same person. Audacity is great! I can add any number of effects to the files. Do not worry about this. I'll send the finish product back to you so that you can critique them and make suggestions beforew they are released if you wish.

I'm not in a big hurry to get the recordings. Whenever you get the time is fine. Just PM me when you are ready to help and I will be forever greatful. :Banane41: :Banane35:

skybolt66
March 29th, 2009, 07:48
....yes, I see! Let's quit here => thread march 29th "Radio Stracks"
:typing: allready in work !
skybolt66.