PDA

View Full Version : MD-11 crash (FedEx) at Narita video

tigisfat
March 22nd, 2009, 20:55
http://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/23_09.html?play

I know how this could've happened, but I don't know how this could've happened.

cheezyflier
March 23rd, 2009, 07:14
so it was windshear, then? is that what they think it may have been?

tigisfat
March 23rd, 2009, 08:02
so it was windshear, then? is that what they think it may have been?

It looks to me like plain old poor piloting. The pilot was unprepared to deal with the extreme conditions, and stuck with the landing when he should've been 100's of feet up, going around.

I realize the aircraft was slow as hell on that on bounce where they went 40 feet into the air, and the engines take a while to spool, but I would've poured on the coals when it first started heading skyward that hard.

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2009, 09:51
Wasn't there a similar accident in 1997 with a Fedex MD-11 (at Newark?)

AckAck
March 23rd, 2009, 16:47
In the article I read, they make it appear that MD-11s have a habit of rolling over when landing, although there were only a couple incidents cited. A couple cargo flights and at least one passenger flight - I read it last night, so it was SOOOO long ago and I don't remember precisely :d

Brian

tigisfat
March 23rd, 2009, 20:50
In the article I read, they make it appear that MD-11s have a habit of rolling over when landing, although there were only a couple incidents cited. A couple cargo flights and at least one passenger flight - I read it last night, so it was SOOOO long ago and I don't remember precisely :d

Brian

I saw the animation of the one in Memphis. They landed ahrd as well, and also lost one of the mains.

Brian_Gladden
March 24th, 2009, 03:46
I saw the animation of the one in Memphis. They landed hard as well, and also lost one of the mains.

So did The United DC-10 at Souix City, Cartwheeled actually.