PDA

View Full Version : Ground Terrain Textures

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 15:30
I have been troubled by something for quite a while and I just figured it out.. .

X-Plane 9 has brilliant terrain. Awesome detail. FS2004 has good terrain, very realistic, super low resolution though.

Now FSX has the ultimate in terrain resolution with the most eye-dazzling resolution you could ever find. Why does it look so wrong? What is wrong with it?

And it occurred to me while flying over Cape Cod, studying the terrain tiles in XP9. In FS2004 and XP9, the terrain tiles 'blend' together. They do not have sharp edges, jagged edges, etc. You cannot see where the tiles meet. They appear seamless, while in FSX, they are edge-cut.

I am not knocking FSX. Its just something I had always tried to figure out and just did.

If only there was a way to add blending to terrain tiles in FSX. I think it would help it out tremendously..

Gotta love this scenery.. I think I spend more time looking out the windows then watching the panel, lol..

Below is a screenshot of what I am talking about.. Note that there is a section of busy roadway that slowly, subtly disappears into the woods. You can see bits and pieces of it blended into the trees like its going under them. In the other sim, it would be a sharp edge. That is what I am talking about.

Bill

CG_1976
March 22nd, 2009, 17:01
Hum nice, but I dont lakes outa place lol. In the lower portion of the pic there re two lakes. One in a 4 way intersection, the other obstructing a neighborhood.

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 18:41
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Whats up with me? I didnt even notice them..

arrghh.. :banghead:

See!

Well, at least the tiny lakes have skid marks through the nice little beach edgings where the AI ground traffic cars are constantly stabbing the brakes before they drive into the drink, one after the other, disappearing into dark ram world...

arrghh.