PDA

View Full Version : 'Handwriting To Be "Extinct"..?'

Panther_99FS
March 22nd, 2009, 07:17
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7133689&page=1

Kiwikat
March 22nd, 2009, 07:38
Sounds good to me. I've always despised writing in cursive. In fact if I had to do it now I wouldn't even know how to write half the letters. Regular writing is fine, but cursive is a thing of the past.

oldwheat
March 22nd, 2009, 08:16
My handwriting has been on the 'red list' for years! Of course, my typing sucks too..

cheezyflier
March 22nd, 2009, 09:07
My handwriting has been on the 'red list' for years! Of course, my typing sucks too..

hahaha me too. my dad used to call my writing "chicken scratch"

Francois
March 22nd, 2009, 11:05
I would hope not. Although one can glean a lot from the often horrible spelling and grammar use of computer typists, a handwriting tells even more about a person. It also precludes the use of the 'way-too-easy' spell checkers, thereby preventing the mind to become totally lazy.

Being a typographer and painter and having indulged in many other creative activities in my life I may be biased. But I firmly believe people with a good handwriting usually also have a good mind and soul as well. :whistle:

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 11:49
I would hope not. Although one can glean a lot from the often horrible spelling and grammar use of computer typists, a handwriting tells even more about a person. It also precludes the use of the 'way-too-easy' spell checkers, thereby preventing the mind to become totally lazy.

Being a typographer and painter and having indulged in many other creative activities in my life I may be biased. But I firmly believe people with a good handwriting usually also have a good mind and soul as well. :whistle:

I agree with Francois,

I too have had a huge background in graphics and art and tons of work in fonts. When I was a kid in school, I learned to do cursive like what the Constitution (of the United States) has. Amazing calligraphy they had back then.

Then in Highschool, I learned to do German Gothic hand writing. (I know, its outdated, but its cool to know how its written).

A day may come when technology loses foothold. We need to keep ahold of our backups like everyday writing and kids should know at least how to read cursive.. How will they know whats on the Constitution?

Bill

Wing_Z
March 22nd, 2009, 12:00
...But I firmly believe people with a good handwriting usually also have a good mind and soul as well. :whistle:
Oh dear...ever since I scanned and saved my signature for official use, I have forgotten what my handwriting looks like - but suspect I should take offence at the comment!

Odie
March 22nd, 2009, 13:10
My father served 4.5 years in the Pacific during WW2, served 30 years in the USAF, was a very physical person (liked to work on cars, in the yard, etc.) but he had the most perfect handwriting I have ever seen ! Beautifully formed letters, legible, and simply flowed across the paper.

Me? Hen-scratch-city. I remarked to my wife that the longer I use a computer the worse my handwriting gets. I had to hand-write a paragraph the other day and I was shocked at how bad my handwriting has become.

I guess your fingers must lose a lot of muscle memory over time....

kilo delta
March 22nd, 2009, 13:35
I had to hand-write a paragraph the other day and I was shocked at how bad my handwriting has become.

Same here:kilroy:. I suffered 3 prolapsed discs in the base of my neck last year, was in excruciating pain for months and suffered a loss of sensation and pins and needles down my arms (especially the right). Wound up having a discectomy last Sept and still have very bad mobility in my right hand.

Still....my handwriting is still much better than my Doctor's!:monkies::costumes:

n4gix
March 22nd, 2009, 15:48
...kids should know at least how to read cursive.. How will they know whats on the Constitution?

Ha! Kids these days can't read, but certainly know how to curse! :gossip:

As for the Constitution, most of 'em probably don't even know what it is... :faint:

BurningBeard
March 23rd, 2009, 17:27
Well, I agree with Lionheart, I by profession am a Sign Painter (not a sticky guy, a sign painter). I can honestly say I can reproduce by hand any font. I have done this off and on for 43 or so years. I even used the skill (occasionally) during my 10 years in the Army. In my family we look at lettering as an art form, my father was a sign painter and I learned at his side. He taught me most of the tricks and techniques I use, after all where are you going to learn how to lay gold leaf in today's society.

I can usually tell you when a sign was painted by the fonts used, as each era uses different ones. Unfortunately most of the sticky stuff you see is usually done be someone that has no idea of design. The obvious example is the guy that manages to use a half a dozen fonts in two lines of lettering. The computer has propagated a lot of very bad design, now everyone is a "graphic artist" which is usually translates to I took an art class in high school. I think things will get worse in this vein. At the local university there are teachers that are trying to teach fine art without the students even bothering to buy a sketch pad.

I guess what I am trying to say is I mourn the loss of the simple skill of taking pencil to paper. Unfortunately most kids today are to pampered and self indulgent to take to time to learn this simple discipline.

Beard

Henry
March 23rd, 2009, 18:31
There is no one that can read my hand writing
except me
i blame my primary school teacher
but the no one can copy it either
when people look at it they figure im a doctor or something
nope just a moron that cannot write
LOL
my typing is butter tan thet
H

Wing_Z
March 23rd, 2009, 22:26
...Unfortunately most kids today are to pampered and self indulgent to take to time to learn this simple discipline...
Picture the curmudgeonly Mesopotamian saying this about the New Generation taking quill to papyrus or whatever it was..."just no gumption, too lazy to sharpen their chisels...":d

There used to be things called "Tracers" in draughting offices. They are extinct, thanks to CAD...you would've spent more time fixing tracers' mistakes than doing productive work back then.
This is called progress and I am delighted with it.
And by the way I had to run "Mesopotamian" through my spell checker to avoid looking too uneducated! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

stansdds
March 24th, 2009, 01:51
Ha! Kids these days can't read, but certainly know how to curse! :gossip:

As for the Constitution, most of 'em probably don't even know what it is... :faint:
Amen!

mcjerkyls
March 24th, 2009, 09:18
Amen!
Joke i saw on a comedy central standup recently...
"Mrs. Johnson we're a little concerned with Bobby's cooperation, we were hoping maybe you could help us. Now Bobby, who signed the Declaration of Independence?"
"I don't know"
Mother proceeds to freak out, beating her son, etc.
"Dont be lyin boy tell em if you signed the damn thing. (Beats him again) I'll teach you to be signing ****!"

went something like that, not exactly of course. I thought it was funny anyhow.