PDA

View Full Version : What if........ "Game Studios and Graphics Cards"

Lionheart
March 21st, 2009, 12:33
What if.....

What if Graphics cards were open to developement groups at Gaming Studios and thus Gaming Studios could design the drivers for a Graphics Card to work 'optimally' with a game or sim?

Perhaps it would be alot of work, but man, it seems that just drivers alone can cause a game or sim to be good or bad.. After the first year launch of FSX, the GC field was a radical mess.. If only the drivers were 'better' tuned for what you are purchasing the GC for... (like taylor suited... )

Bill

GT182
March 21st, 2009, 17:36
Yeah, that would be nice Bill. But wouldn't you then have to switch from driver to driver depending on the game or sim you were running to get optimum performance? If so then that in it's self could be a big hassle.

Lionheart
March 21st, 2009, 20:33
yeah.... The more I think about it, the worse it sounds...

Just a wild thought..

Bill

gigabyte
March 22nd, 2009, 04:25
Bill I have only one thing to say, I bet Orvil and Wilbur at one time said - yeah just a "Wild Thought"....

GT182
March 22nd, 2009, 16:01
No Bill, it does sound good. But they'd have to make is easier to switch graphics drivers.

Or maybe this could be a possibility..... have the drivers "in" game. The card would then have to be able to recognise each different driver in each different game.

If it comes to pass that that last idea comes about, remember I thought of it and I want a percentage. It's in writing here so no one can say I didn't say it. ;)

FengZ
March 22nd, 2009, 17:55
it's a great idea bill.

this does happen to a certain degree with "high-end" developers such as Epic Games. When i worked on GoW, we already had next-gen WIP v-cards from Nvidia (about 3-4 years ahead of what was available on the market). Our goal was to developed the engine to maximize performance using these cards; and Nvidia's engineers/programmers will write specific code to support these new features.

These high-end games are the ones pushing the advancement of today's "gaming" video cards. This is part of the reason why you see the nvidia logo during the start-up load for certain games, as well as on the box itself.

-feng

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 18:28
it's a great idea bill.

this does happen to a certain degree with "high-end" developers such as Epic Games. When i worked on GoW, we already had next-gen WIP v-cards from Nvidia (about 3-4 years ahead of what was available on the market). Our goal was to developed the engine to maximize performance using these cards; and Nvidia's engineers/programmers will write specific code to support these new features.

These high-end games are the ones pushing the advancement of today's "gaming" video cards. This is part of the reason why you see the nvidia logo during the start-up load for certain games, as well as on the box itself.

-feng

Hey Feng,

Thats very interesting. I know nVidia are HUGE when it comes to advancements. They recently worked with Apple to make/create a new combined graphics chip that was also a MCP chip. The overall speed with which it could run/process graphics was something like 30% faster then anything.

I dont know if thats whats presently out now since Christmas launch of the Mac lines, but I found it interesting and leading edge.

No Bill, it does sound good. But they'd have to make is easier to switch graphics drivers.

Or maybe this could be a possibility..... have the drivers "in" game. The card would then have to be able to recognise each different driver in each different game.

If it comes to pass that that last idea comes about, remember I thought of it and I want a percentage. It's in writing here so no one can say I didn't say it.

GT182

Roger that GT182,

Maybe.... If GC card manufacturers created a better 'interface' for their cards, like ATI's cool program 'Catalyst' where you can over-clock the card. If GC manufacturers perhaps created some sort of way for us to 'tune' drivers and save the settings. Something 'more' then what Catalyst can do now.

It seems that so many people these days have so many 'different' reactions to a single driver update. Perhaps if they simply had 'personal settings' that worked for things like 'games' and then OS's, and then programs, and we could upload and share such settings (for say guys that have FSX and also had i7 boards and ATI cards or nVidia dual GC's), then perhaps we would hear less groaning and people would be doing more playing.

Some of these kids around have such brilliant an incredible understanding of how things work in computers and games. I heard one kid in a chat room saying he had written a code in highschool that day for Call of Duty and went home to try it in multi-player and it worked. It was to make himself invisible 'in' the game in multi-player, and the server wouldnt detect him cheating, and no one could see him running around shooting him.

If we have kids directed to making things work instead of tearing them down, perhaps we might get a super fast leap in gaming and GC developement.

That was kind of the idea.. Personalization for programs and games.

All these idea's, lol.. arrghh..

Bill

GT182
March 23rd, 2009, 04:47
Well, I just wish I had a tenth of the smarts these kids have today when it comes to the workings of a computer.

harleyman
March 24th, 2009, 02:39
It seems to me that you can save profiles in Video cards, why not make the drivers like profiles, and saved for each game / sim. then for each game you want to play just go into a small interface where you select your profile...

I mean..Its already half way there seems to me...