PDA

View Full Version : Think Hitting a Deer is Bad ??

EgoR64
March 21st, 2009, 05:55
The lady Driver Lived ->>

brad kaste
March 21st, 2009, 06:13
Yikers!,.....it would be interesting to know how fast the woman was traveling when she and the moose met. I think I'd be driving at a snail's pace if I saw a 'moose waring sign' for the next 1.5 miles. I've had a few close calls with deer,.....that'll get your adrenaline flowing.....

cheezyflier
March 21st, 2009, 06:41
i once saw a guy driving in front of me hit a deer. the guy behind me got out of his truck and threw it into the bed and went around us. i thought "man, how's that for luck?"

N400QW
March 21st, 2009, 06:53
I hit a doe with my Z28 w/glass T Tops. Left her body imprint across the hood and I watched as she flew up over the glass T Tops and into a ditch. Not something I ever want to see again.:wave:

TomSteber
March 21st, 2009, 07:21
That is so funny. (Not really)
A buddy and I were just talking yesterday about hitting a moose with a car.
He was stationed up in Alaska for a time and we were talking about how large a bull moose really is!

Railrunner130
March 21st, 2009, 07:57
We had an accident around here several years back where the deer killed two people in seperate cars. Decapitated one driver as I recall.

Brian_Gladden
March 21st, 2009, 08:10
Yikers!,.....it would be interesting to know how fast the woman was traveling when she and the moose met. I think I'd be driving at a snail's pace if I saw a 'moose waring sign' for the next 1.5 miles. I've had a few close calls with deer,.....that'll get your adrenaline flowing.....

Don't have to be going too fast. A cow (female) can run between 800-1000 pounds. Bulls can push 1500.

Back in my Fire and Ambulance days, I responded to plenty of car vs. moose calls.

The moose always lost, but depending on the car, it was quite often a draw.

A friend of mine hit a 300 pound black bear with his Honda Gold Wing. Bear ran off into the woods and he was out of work for six months recovering from his injuries after dumping the bike.

Guy I know hit a deer with a Cessna 172 once. Stupid thing ran across the runway just as he set down. Sheet metal damage and a new prop combined with an overhaul of the engine.

Worst part was he had just picked the plane up from the shop after getting an overhaul. Had a whopping 3/4 of an hour on it.:faint:

Brian

Snuffy
March 21st, 2009, 08:22
Moose are not short by any terms ... I'd say the moose's kneecaps were about where the windshield was on that car ...

Take the pins out from under it and you don't get much left ...

Yikes is right.

cheezyflier
March 21st, 2009, 09:32
A friend of mine hit a 300 pound black bear with his Honda Gold Wing. Bear ran off into the woods and he was out of work for six months recovering from his injuries after dumping the bike.

Brian

how's that for coincidence? i know a guy also who hit a black bear with a goldwing, in north carolina. the bear ran off, and his wife was injured, the bike was totalled.

Daveroo
March 21st, 2009, 09:37
when i was in the FD....woman hit a large deer..went through the windshield and an antlier stuck her in the throat...she was talking to me when we were first on scene..but she was doa at the horsepital...shame really

Cazzie
March 21st, 2009, 14:34
Moo.......moo.....moo..........se!

Yikes almighty!

Caz

Brian_Gladden
March 21st, 2009, 15:49
Worse things about a moose is that their coat is very dark, they walk slow and their eyes don't reflect light like a deer or other animals might. almost impossible to see at night.

A friend of mine almost hit one one late night that was taking a nap in the middle of the road. She slid to a stop less than ten feet from the beast. It turned it's head to look at Marcy as if to say, "You woke me up!"

She had to back up and drive around it.

Brian

Willy
March 21st, 2009, 15:55
Don't have to be going too fast. A cow (female) can run between 800-1000 pounds. Bulls can push 1500.

That'd be like hitting a cow or a horse.

brad kaste
March 21st, 2009, 16:24
....I've always wondered what a Mooseburger or Moose steak tastes like. Maybe a bit like beef or bison? I'd think they'd be tasty. Any input on the flavor and quality on Moose meat would be appreciated.
.................................................. ......:kilroy:.................................... .........................

harleyman
March 21st, 2009, 16:56
Moose are totally mean.. If you ever see one..RUN...They are big , stupid, and anger easily..

People in cars stop to see them, and often get attacked by them..

If you hit one and its alive..Stay away...LOL

In Vermont and New Hampsire everyone knows at night to be on the look out..They are slow and stupid as hech, and as Brian said, hard to see...

gigabyte
March 22nd, 2009, 03:49
....I've always wondered what a Mooseburger or Moose steak tastes like. Maybe a bit like beef or bison? I'd think they'd be tasty. Any input on the flavor and quality on Moose meat would be appreciated.
.................................................. ......:kilroy:.................................... .........................

Brad, Moose meat is very tasty, also quite low in fat so it is best slow cooked. I have had Moose steak quite a number of times. I would have to say you are pretty close on the taste, to me it is most like Bison, I like the flavor very much, no "wild game" like you get with Deer (not that that is so bad, just not my fav). I am not a hunter so I only get the occational gift Moose steak, but they are always a treat.

airfighterjohn
April 2nd, 2009, 01:27
About 10 years ago I hit an elk in Colorado while driving a 76 Dodge van. Totaled the van, broke my foot. One second the road was clear, then he came flying across the guardrail. I was doing 70mph at the time on I-25 near the Wyoming border. Trooper said most people that hit elk are killed. I was very blessed that day...

Wing_Z
April 2nd, 2009, 01:59
When the Mercedes A-Class was first introduced, a journalist rolled one during a "Moose Test" which involved violent swerving.
Some time later in the PR cycle, the name was revised to "Elk Test".
Around here we don't have Moose or Elk.
Anyone know why it would be important to differentiate??

srgalahad
April 2nd, 2009, 05:32
Yikers!,.....it would be interesting to know how fast the woman was traveling when she and the moose met. I think I'd be driving at a snail's pace if

I got hit by a moose in spite of slowing to a crawl. Snow-covered highway in BC with 8-10 ft banks on the sides of the road... saw a dark shape against the snow and slowed - and stopped. The moose moved a bit to the side so I crept around it on the wrong side of the road. As I got past it I heard a noise and looked back. The moose was still standing but next morning I found a hoofprint in the rear fender. I guess he didn't like the concept of "Share the road".

Then there was the deer -- all I saw of it was a flash and a very clear view of it's tail in the ditch-side headlight as we rounded a curve at night. The deer was moving fast and we figure it jumped across in front of the car, missing us be about a foot.

One of the worst I've seen however was a Greyhound bus that hit an elk at about 50 mph. The elk, realizing it was in trouble, tried to leap out of the way but hit the windshield - peeled the roof back to the second row, a passenger in the last row of the bus was injured by elk-bits.

Rob

GT182
April 2nd, 2009, 05:37
Moose is better than beef any day. Even better than beefalo I've been told.

90% of the time a vehicle hits a moose, neither survive. And most often, some or all of the occupants of the vehicle are seriously injured or killed. I've heard some strange tales up in Maine of people hitting moose.