PDA

View Full Version : An Update on Deb

OBIO
March 20th, 2009, 20:54
It's been quite a while since I passed on any news about Deb's recovery, mainly because you guys would get tired of reading the same thing too often. Well, now I can share with you a much greater degree of recovery and progress.

The right side of Deb's face is still paralysed...but is showing good signs of recovery. The deeper muscles are regaining their tension and more of Deb's natural features are returning...such as her smile lines, crow's feet, faint wrinkles, her cheek indentation and her dimple. The cheek indentation and dimple she is fine with, but does not like that fact that in order to know that she is recovering she has to look "old". As 12th Cranial Nerve regenerates ever so slowly, Deb has been getting more and more feeling in her cheek, inner cheek, nose, forehead...but because cranial nerves regenerate at less than 1mm per week, it will still be some time before she regains full facial movement and sensation.

The 6th Cranial Nerve, which controls the eye movement, is still not happening as much as we would like...the right eye is still rolled inward a bit and Deb still can not roll the eye to the outside. Inward, upward, and downward control are 100% recovered.

The right eyelid movement has gotten better, but still not there yet. The other morning, when I went in to wake Deb up, I noticed that the right eye was fully shut..which is a sign that the muscles that shut the eyelid are working when she is relaxed fully and when she if well rested.

Deb is currently undergoing 3 hours of outpatient speech therapy a week with the focus on stimulating the facial nerves and improving her speech and swallowing. With the paralysis on the face, Deb's speech still has a slurred quality to it, but is far more clear, far more precise than it was just a month ago. Her swallowing is very strong...she has been sipping unthicked liquids with no problems, no choking. Deb will undergo another modified barium swallow test Wednesday to see if her swallowing reflexes are strong enough to no longer need to thicken her liquids. Her speech therapist thinks that they are and that the thickener powder can be taken off our grocery list.

Deb has not used her wheel chair in over 2 weeks....well, other than our shopping trip to Walmart last weekend..but those SUPER WALMARTS are so big I would like something to ride around in too. In the house, Deb has not used her wheel chair since January, but had been using it when out and about. Now, she uses her walker when out and about. In the house, we are working with a quad-cane and free walking. Actually, earlier this evening Deb walked from the living room to the bathroom and back on her own...no walker, no cane, no support from me.

Deb is currently undergoing 2 1-hour physical therapy session per week, focusing on balance, stamina, and the biomechanics of normal walking. Part of her balance issue is the right eye...which she has to keep covered with an eye patch to prevent double vision. The lack of perifferal vision and depth perseption is making it harder for her to maintain full balance and control....though she is getting more adapted to those impedements.

Deb's left foot drop is totally gone....she has regained 100% function of that foot, though she does experience some numbness in it. This is the result of the stresses put on her cerebellum and brain stem by the tumor and the surgery....time should see this abate fully.

Deb's right hand control is improving greatly. Her hand righting is now totally legible, though not as pretty as it was before the surgery. Again, time and the 2 1-hour occupational therapy session per week she attends will see her regain all of the fine motor control in the right hand and fingers. Strength wise, all of her strength testing has shown her to significantly stronger in all extremities than the average woman...she's been a nurse for 15 years, and that is surprising tough work. Moving patients around has given my gal some serious strength. I gotta say, being slapped by her is more painful than any slaps I have experienced in my life time...and I have had more than a few well deserved slaps.

There has been no more seizures. The EEGs and Cat Scan showed to epileptic discharge, no majorly abnormal brain waves...other than a bit slower brain wave pattern in the area of the brain surgery...which is normal...but even this was less than what neurologist expected to see.

At Deb's follow-up appointment with the neurologist in February, he was very very pleased with the degree to which Deb had recovered and still foresees her making a 100% recovery and being able to return to nursing within a year to a year and a half.

As a celebration of her recovery and as a counter-point to all the hardship Deb has been through the past year (first the breast cancer scare, then the brain tumor and surgery and months in the hospital, then her adoptive Dad having a minor stroke followed by a massive heart attack and a quadruple by-pass), she stated that when tax returns came, she wanted a new TV...a nice big HD tv. So, with tax returns being direct deposited to our checking account this morning, we went out and bought a nice big 42 inch Plasma HD tv, a new entertainment stand, a couple DVDs, got take out from KFC, a new welcome mat...and as Deb's "thank you" for all the support and encouragement I have given her, for taking on all the household duties.....a new 5.1 channel speaker package for my PC (it's time to retire the mega sized speakers I have been using..even though I just rebuilt the system to a total of 1400 watts...and go with a scaled down package that does not take up so much space but that will offer the same degree of sound quality). No, we really could not afford to make these purchases...got medical bills a foot thick, have two cars to finish paying off...even though they were voluntarily repossessed and auctioned off....but the way I see it is this: Deb more than deserves a little frivolty, a little high-level pampering given what she has been through. And yes, I am sure we will get a major lecturing from her mom and step-dad about fiscal responsibility...but I will just tell them to stick a cork in it. And really, when facing the daunting 12 grand to pay off two cars we will never see again, when facing several thousand dollars in medical bills, just how far would $1300 go? T'would not even make a dent in our debt, would be gone in a hot second...and we would have NOTHING to show for it. But, for me, it all came down to the fact that my dear blue-eyed Debra wanted something nice for our little home, something nice to make up for what she has lost as a result of the surgery, a little something nice to brighten her months and months of being stuck at home while she fights to regain her former life.....and come hell or high water, I was going to give her that.

OBIO

miamieagle
March 20th, 2009, 21:00
I love to hear good news and I"am glad she is doing much better. God bless you both!

Good_2_Be
March 20th, 2009, 21:24
Thanks for the good news Obi :woot: and your right, to heck with fiscal responsibility you should be able to enjoy yourselves once in a while :friday: Please let Deb know she is still in our prayers :wavey:

gedm
March 20th, 2009, 21:57
Thanks for the update Obio, like Miami says, good news now a days is especially good. Give Deb our best and we will keep you both in our prayers. :engel016:

g

bobhegf
March 21st, 2009, 00:05
I can understand what you are going through. I have a 91 yar old mother who is going through physical therapy as well after getting out of the hospital.It is tough but Deb will make it and belive it or not so will you.Good luck and keep us updated.Tell Deb to do alittle more then she is asked to do it will help build her confidence in herself. That will help her more than she thinks in her recovery.:typing:

erufle
March 21st, 2009, 00:17
I am very interested in your detailed reports on Deb's condition as the human brain has long been an interest of mine. Please know that we are behind you and support you 100%. The fact that your medical bills are causing you undue stress is also of concern to me. It just goes to show you how out-of-control our health care system is. I'm all for free enterprise, but people with serious health problems like this should not have to deal with outrageous bills on top of everything else they are forced to endure.

Peace be with you bro . . .

hewman100
March 21st, 2009, 02:47
It's great to hear things are going well on all fronts Tim. Still pulling for you on this side of the water:rapture:

kelticheart
March 21st, 2009, 03:06
.....and come hell or high water, I was going to give her that!

YEAH! WELL SAID, OBIO!

This is great news, my congratulations to Debby for winning her life's battle against such a hideous monster!

Best wishes for an accelerated rate recovery and may the Lord hold you both in the palm of His hand!

Thank you for this update, Obio!
KH :ernae:

Rami
March 21st, 2009, 04:15
Excellent, this is wonderful to hear! :ernae:

Ghostrider
March 21st, 2009, 05:27
Right on Obio, and best wishes for Deb's continued recovery! Good call "spoiling" yourselves a little after all you've been through - you guys deserve it!

Thanks for the great neuroanatomy memories "Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Glistening... Sorry, I'll spare you the dirty mnemonic devices for the cranial nerves!

Glad she's doing well - :ernae:

PomBee
March 21st, 2009, 06:18
Great news, Tim. Best wishes to you both from me and mine.

PomBee.:ernae:

Bill Kestell
March 21st, 2009, 07:33
Hi, Bud!

I've been hoping for an update ... and I thirilled for all of you at Deb's progress. You guys are still in my prayers and I'll just keep you there because it's a good thing!

Stay well and I think you've got the priorities right ... the little you spent on her (yourselves) after this whole series of trials is insignificant and, quite frankly, sometimes you just flat deserve to have a little pleasure in life ... whatever that is.

Love ya':engel016:

Bill

OBIO
March 21st, 2009, 08:02
The mother-in-law and father-in-law #3 were over a little while ago. Grif (father-in-law #3) helped me carry the old 25 inch console tv and old furniture out and carry in the "new" chocolate brown leather furniture that Tina, Deb's younger sister. gave us this summer. No lectures from them. They were quite impressed with my purchasing savy. We spent just a tad under $950 yesterday and came home with:

42" Panasonic Plasma HDTV = $799.00 plus tax

5.1 channel sound system for my PC = $29 plus tax (on clearance)

Chocolate Cherry stained entertainment/TV stand = $49 plus tax

2 DVDs = $6 plus tax (one DVD is actually a 2 DVD set on the Memphis Belle and P-47s...guess who picked that one out)

New welcome matt = $15 plus tax

Batteries for the dog's new toe nail thing (Pedi-paws) = $4.50 plus tax

3 cans of electronics cleaner - $9 plus tax

And lunch from KFC...that chicken really hit the spot!

Not too shabby I dare say. The tv Deb picked out, a 40 inch Samsung, was $898 at Walmart...which would have been $963 after tax. So, for 10 to 15 dollars less, we came home with a bigger sharper TV, and a bunch of other goodies.

Yep, twas a good day for Deb in terms of pampering. And this came less than a week after her other sister, Dee, gave her a laptop. The laptop was a graduation present for our nephew, Donnie, in May 2006. He using it for two months before shipping out for Army boot camp. Came home on leave for two weeks and used the laptop to look at nekkid women on line...and picked up a bunch of nasties...so much so that it froze the system. When Donnie deployed to Iraq, he bought a new laptop to take with him and said that the "old" one could be thrown away. The laptop came with the unopened Win XP Home cd, the unopened software installation cd...so all I needed to do was reformat, reinstall and update...and now Deb has a 2 and a half year old (nearly 3 year old) laptop that has been used for less than 3 months. I need to pick up a router so she can get on line with it...and add some more ram and a bigger HD (upgrading the laptop will set us back maybe $80)..but considering the what we gave for it ($0), it is well worth that minimal investment.

I have always pampered Deb, but the pampering has really been ramped up during her recovery....I just hope that at some point the pampering can be scaled back to a more normal level. She is getting so spoiled LOL!

I have passed on all of your continued well wishes and prayers....and that brough a smile to Deb's face.

OBIO

OBIO
March 21st, 2009, 08:07
On the father-in-law #3 thing. When I married Deb, I got 3 fathers-in-law. #1 is Deb's birth dad, John. #2 is Deb's adoptive dad, Jack...he's the one who had the stroke, heart attack and quadruple by-pass...he's doing well and is in a extended care facility for therapy and healing time. #3 is Deb's mom's husband for the last 25 years, Arthur...everyone calls him Grif. All three are great guys and we see them quite regularly.

Luckily, there aren't three mothers-in-law to try to keep straight!

OBIO

Cowboy1968
March 21st, 2009, 08:12
I still have you and her in my prayers. Ever since my wife battled cancer i tend to pray for all our better halfs.

God Bless, and tell Deb to keep flying on those angel wings i know she has holding her up

Kofschip
March 21st, 2009, 11:19
Obio, thank you for the good news. It makes me feel real good that things are going so much better for Deb and you. May God bless you both.:amen:

delta_lima
March 21st, 2009, 11:40
Hello Obio,

I hadn't heard about this situation since I don't own CFS2 and don't frequent this forum - but I'm thinking of getting it - anyway, stumbled across this post - and wish you and your wife the very best.

May God's hand of healing and peace be felt in your whole family. Good news is encouraging, and may we soon hear of continued progress.

Pen32Win
March 21st, 2009, 12:53
Howdy OBIO;

Thanks for the update, it's always good to hear good news..:ernae:

watchdog22
March 21st, 2009, 13:56
Good news about the sole mother in law, better news about Deb. I love a feel good story, she's a very lucky lady to have you to support and nourish her.

peperez
March 21st, 2009, 19:56
Godspeed!

TARPSBird
March 21st, 2009, 22:43
Obio, glad to hear things are going OK with Deb. And yeah, sometimes you just gotta spend some money and treat yerself, bills or no bills. :d

Devildog73
March 22nd, 2009, 05:17
Obio, I too am glad to hear that all of our prayers to God are paying dividends!

As far as your debt ratio, in light of AIG, Bank of America, CitiBank, and others on Wall Street,........................................... .. Oh Well! :bump:

I have to stop here, or I will violate our non-political agreements with the SOH.........

:focus: I am very happy for you and Deb and will continue to pray for you both.

skylane
March 22nd, 2009, 23:54
Hey Tim!
I´m very happy to hear Deb is continuing to recover well!