PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

redriver6
March 20th, 2009, 17:00
the finale...

i'm sure i will love it/hate it, laugh/cry, be sad/happy...

:engel016::wave:

Panther_99FS
March 20th, 2009, 19:33
Interesting last episode :)

I'm now looking forward to "Caprica" & "The Plan"...:jump:

Lionheart
March 20th, 2009, 20:22
Looking good....!

tense...

Lionheart
March 20th, 2009, 21:58
How could they???? arrghh.. a very wild ending..

:friday:

Bill

GT182
March 21st, 2009, 05:00
Interesting last episode :)

I'm now looking forward to "Caprica" & "The Plan"...:jump:

Same here. The view from the other side should be interesting. At least lastnight wasn't really "The End" to it all. And it's something to look forward to this fall.

BTW... did you notice the mix of the old and new Cylons in the last episode? The old metalheads were used as cannon fodder. :costumes:

Panther_99FS
March 21st, 2009, 07:57
Yep RR6...Did you watch the after part with the interviews on the set?

I'd all but forgotton about the flashback episode when Adama is just an Ensign, stranded on the planet with the first/prototype male hybird....And the male hybird says...

"All of this has already happened, and it will happen again, and again, and again....."

Eoraptor1
March 21st, 2009, 09:05
Cylon Centurions and Colonial Warriors fighting side by side. Cats and Dogs living together. Was I the only one who thought that the Colony ship looked like the Shadow cruisers from Babylon 5? Also, did everyone catch Brother Cavil's Peter Cushing-in-Star Wars quip? "I think you overestimate their chances..." In science fiction that line never bodes well for the speaker.

I'm looking forward to Caprica and The Plan, especially The Plan. I'll be very interested to see what the Cylons thought would happen, and what went wrong. I've read on the SF forums that they had no contingency for survivors, but that may just be a rumor. We'll see. I predict we'll see a lot more of Tricia Helfer and Katee Sackhoff. I hope we see more of the rest of the cast as well; they sold a 70s space opera as an ensemble drama, and IMHO did it very well.

JAMES

PS My aunt's Airedale terrier did live with her cat. He even let her eat from his food dish, and when she had kittens, he'd let them eat from his dish too.

Silver Fox
March 21st, 2009, 09:49
It was a Shadow cruiser! I kept watching for Galactica to launch Starfuries.

I thought the finale was rushed. I would have stressed how names like Hera, Apollo and Athena were handed down through history until Man forgot the lessons. Then the the rise of the Roman Legions and the eventual, inevitable Fall of Man. Doubt I could have avoided the temptation to throw in a shot of an F-16 and F-22 though. :)

Panther_99FS
March 21st, 2009, 09:57
SF,
In the interviews afterwards, Edward Olmos said that from his perspective, the whole series was one giant movie - instead of a traditional TV series :)

Silver Fox
March 21st, 2009, 10:14
I would tend to agree, the overall story arc was set long ago... More movie-like than a traditional TV series.

redriver6
March 21st, 2009, 10:32
i watched it twice..there was a lot to try to get out of it..

some of the 'little' things i noticed...when the fleet is sailing off into the sun, the music from the original series is playing...

Starbuck trying to figure out where to jump the ship...'there must be some kinda way outta here'

more All Along the Watchtower.

also the lyrics to All Along the Watchtower are very intresting

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/all-along-watchtower

and the explnation of the lyrics...

http://www.reasontorock.com/tracks/watchtower.html

Panther_99FS
March 21st, 2009, 10:36
...when the fleet is sailing off into the sun, the music from the original series is playing...

Yep I thought this was a nice touch and I really like how they made it not sound exactly like the original series :)

Eoraptor1
March 21st, 2009, 17:15
It was a Shadow cruiser! I kept watching for Galactica to launch Starfuries.

Yep. Here's a picture I got from Wikipedia. It comes orginally from the Babylon 5 DVD set.

JAMES

Panther_99FS
March 21st, 2009, 17:26
Here's an easter egg that was found in the CAPRICA trailer :)
--> http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/caprica-trailer-easter-eg.php

Panther_99FS
March 21st, 2009, 23:13
Yep RR6...Did you watch the after part with the interviews on the set?

I'd all but forgotton about the flashback episode when Adama is just an Ensign, stranded on the planet with the first/prototype male hybird....And the male hybird says...

"All of this has already happened, and it will happen again, and again, and again....."

Wow!
There's more to what the first/prototyple male hybrid spoke than we thought. - And most of it all came true in prior episodes Check it out, here's what the male hybrid/prototype said:

"

At last, they’ve come for me. I feel their lives, their destinies spilling out before me. The denial of the one true path, played out on a world not their own, will end soon enough. Soon there will be four, glorious in awakening (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Final_Five), struggling with the knowledge of their true selves. The pain of revelation bringing new clarity and in the midst of confusion, he will find her. Enemies brought together by impossible longing. Enemies now joined as one. The way forward at once unthinkable, yet inevitable. And the fifth, still in shadow, will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering. I can see them all. The seven (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Humanoid_Cylon#Significant_Seven), now (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Number_Three)six (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Boxing)<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4] (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Hybrid_utterances#cite_note-3)</SUP>, self-described machines who believe themselves without sin. But in time, it is sin that will consume them. They will know enmity, bitterness, the wrenching agony of the one splintering into many. And then, they will join at the promised land, gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning.
Come in Major. I've been waiting for you for a long time.
What am I, a man? Or am I [a] machine? My children believe that I am God.
I have seen[/can see] things. Your life, Kendra Shaw, the things you have done. The things you felt you had to do, all leading to this moment. You wish to be forgiven, my child. Do you wish to be forgiven? Then come closer, there's something i have to tell you. Come.
Kara Thrace (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Kara_Thrace) will lead the human race to its end. She is the herald of the apocalypse, the harbinger of death. They must not follow her.
As my own/lone existence comes to a close, only to begin anew, in ways uncertain.
All [of] this has happened before, and [it] will happen again...again...again...again...again...again...ag ain... "

Lionheart
March 21st, 2009, 23:29
That was one intense show.. I cant get it out of my mind..

I hated to see them fly the fleet into the sun.. They should have stored them. I thought it was bad.. They could have also used the hulls for housing and all... Powerplants for energy, etc..

But its SciFi...

Has anyone ever heard of the Olympians?

Bill

Eoraptor1
March 22nd, 2009, 07:17
I hated to see them fly the fleet into the sun.. They should have stored them. I thought it was bad.. They could have also used the hulls for housing and all... Powerplants for energy, etc.

I'm with you, Lionheart. I found that flat-out unbelievable. In a last-ditch survival situation they would have cannibalized everything. I could believe a general phobia surrounding artificial intelligence, like in the Dune books, but they would have been competing with regional megafauna for food sources. (The survivors appeared to be scattering all over the place.) I for one, wouldn't be fighting sabretoothed tigers with a home made spear when I had an assault rifle at hand and lots of live ammunition. What I think the writers were trying to do was explain why we haven't found any ancient Eric von Daniken starship hulls in East Africa, where mitochondrial "Eve" was supposed to have lived. This is a nit-pick, however. I really did like the show.

JAMES

Panther_99FS
March 22nd, 2009, 07:22
They wanted a tranquil & simple life after what they had been through - nothing more, nothing less. :)

Silver Fox
March 22nd, 2009, 08:19
The interesting thing for me is the way they introduce Homo Sapiens to 'Earth'. Those language-less natives would have been Neanderthals. There is room for a new series explaning what happens to humanity and the Cylons after Earthfall. Hera will become Eve... So what genetic advantage is conferred by being a Human-Cylon hybrid?

Of course, the cynic in me notes that the scattering of humanity means that an Earthfall series need not have any previously seen BSG characters... Cheaper contracts.

Eoraptor1
March 22nd, 2009, 08:48
The interesting thing for me is the way they introduce Homo Sapiens to 'Earth'. Those language-less natives would have been Neanderthals. There is room for a new series explaning what happens to humanity and the Cylons after Earthfall. Hera will become Eve... So what genetic advantage is conferred by being a Human-Cylon hybrid?

Of course, the cynic in me notes that the scattering of humanity means that an Earthfall series need not have any previously seen BSG characters... Cheaper contracts.

Were there Neanderthals in East Africa?

JAMES

Silver Fox
March 22nd, 2009, 09:30
I'm not sure about Neanderthals in Africa. They picked a time period which is very convoluted in human evolution.

Eoraptor1
March 22nd, 2009, 13:33
They picked a time period which is very convoluted in human evolution.

That I've seen up close. I remember when the slew of Mitochondrial Eve books started coming out, they had a book signing right at my local bookstore. The DNA people and the fossil people - or "bone heads" - don't necessarily see things eye to eye. There are arguments over things like whether the rate of mutations remain constant over 150,000 years, or the role of local variations in phenotypes in a population. It can get pretty heated, and this is just among the science people.

JAMES