PDA

View Full Version : Carenado Arrow for FSX

Overshoe
March 20th, 2009, 12:25
It's out:

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?id_producto=68

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2009, 12:36
Woot!!! Thanks for the HU. Been waiting for this one since it was announced.

Downloading now! :ernae:

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2009, 12:51
First impressions are that it is another excellent release from Carenado. The flight modeling feels right for a T tail. She's got a perfect soundset that just purrs on my new speakers. The highlight is probably the external model and texturing. It looks great. The VC textures are a little blurry but that's what you get when you do photoreal, unless it is super high resolution.

Now its time to jam my GNS430W into it :173go1:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/piperarrow4.jpg

gajit
March 20th, 2009, 12:55
Thanks for the HU. Been waiting for ages and even checked a few hours ago. Downloading now.:ernae:

And you can bank on Carenado to make a decent product.

Odie
March 20th, 2009, 13:03
Downloaded ! :woot:

6297J
March 20th, 2009, 13:05
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Lend me 20 quid Gajit :kiss:

Yxin
March 20th, 2009, 14:01
Knowing its a T-tail and all... isnt it a bit tale heavy even at higher speeds?
But holy****.. it sure looks and sounds amazing

noddy
March 20th, 2009, 14:26
Lend me 20 quid Gajit :kiss:

And me!

glennc
March 20th, 2009, 14:32
Got it - first flight soon - why in the heck am I here talking about it? :welcome:

Glenn

JimC1702
March 20th, 2009, 14:32
Wow, I think I have a new favorite plane. This is a beauty!

Jim

ryanbatc
March 20th, 2009, 14:35
Is there separate VC lighting for flood lights vs intrsument lights?

The other Carenado planes apparently only have 1 set of interior cockpit lights

Please post night VC shots thanks, also, can you delete the reflections on the glass - I hate that

gajit
March 20th, 2009, 16:08
Is there separate VC lighting for flood lights vs intrsument lights?

The other Carenado planes apparently only have 1 set of interior cockpit lights

Please post night VC shots thanks, also, can you delete the reflections on the glass - I hate that

Hi Ryanbatc

I dont know about the reflections as I love them - makes it far more real than having no glass in the windows. I have never flown a real AC that does not have scatches and stains on the glazing - even new PC-12s

See the attached -yes they have put in instrument and panel lighting separate. :friday: Ah - just found that the panel lights are connected to landing light.

BOOM
March 20th, 2009, 18:19
WOW! That's incredible detail!

glennc
March 20th, 2009, 21:21
I have a little over an hour in it now. No squawks, only raves. By now, we know what to expect from Carenado. If anything, they have outdone themselves. It's pretty in all axes - graphics and physics. It's just plane (umm, yeah, I mean that) fun.

Glenn

tigisfat
March 20th, 2009, 21:45
Knowing its a T-tail and all... isnt it a bit tale heavy even at higher speeds?
But holy****.. it sure looks and sounds amazing

It should be nose heavy and grossly underpowered. The T-tail piper arrow is one of the biggest pieces of Sh$T ever made, but I'll probably buy this if only because they have a soft spot in my heart. I have TONS of hours in this aircraft.

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2009, 21:46
I've already got my eye on some nice repaints. I'll look into the textures tomorrow after I've done some homework.

Carenado has been known to make their planes unnecessarily difficult to paint. Hopefully the Arrow is a little better.

Stay tuned :) (Gotta upload those F-16 paints too... I forgot :redf:)

tigisfat
March 20th, 2009, 22:36
that autopilot sure isn't authentic at all.

gajit
March 20th, 2009, 23:28

Agreed - it works but that is it.

Im still loving the cockpit textures. And so great to have excessive frame rates.

Rimshot
March 21st, 2009, 00:21

If you own the old FS2002 Dreamfleet Archer you can use that authentic AP with the Carenado Arrow :ernae:
Besides that, and I've posted this elsewhere as well, I'm a little disappointed the radiostack is exactly the same as in their Mooney and even the Cessna U206G. But she sure looks good despite that.

Fireball6
March 21st, 2009, 01:34
Did someone else notice those "lines" ? Where did they come from ? I am a little disappointed about those "bugs" in the exterior-textures. They did a wunderfull job at the Cessna 152 - why not here ?

gajit
March 21st, 2009, 03:24
Did someone else notice those "lines" ? Where did they come from ? I am a little disappointed about those "bugs" in the exterior-textures. They did a wunderfull job at the Cessna 152 - why not here ?

Hi Fireball

I dont have those lines on mine and cant find much in the way of texture issues.

Fireball6
March 21st, 2009, 04:12
Hi gajit - thanks for your reply - just back from a check-flight with the arrow - try with and without selfshaddowing - just the same result - this plane has "stripes" at all 4 Paints - the Cessna 172 and the Cessna 152 not. Wonder why?

JimC1702
March 21st, 2009, 04:35
The only nit I have to pick with the Arrow so far is the click spots for the knobs are very small and not necessarily where you'd expect them to be. I've been fooling around with X-Plane and like their way for manipulating twist knobs much better.

I made a change to the aircraft.cfg in the Arrow. When I checked in with ATC, it said the plane was type Piper. In the aircraft.cfg file, ATC type is Piper and ATC model is PA-28. I changed ATC model to Arrow. Now when it checks in with ATC it says type Piper Arrow which is much cooler.

I have EditVoicePack installed and guess you probably need it for this change.

Jim

Fireball6
March 21st, 2009, 05:11
Yeahhhhh - I found the "stripes" - they are in the Alpha-Layer of the arrowceiling.bump.
I will ask Carenado for help - hope they can delete them if I do, I get a different alpha-texture after editing them.

Pepere
March 21st, 2009, 07:12
Very very nice in every respect. I don't get the "stripe" on top and the VC is perfect, no blurs? The AP also works fine too? I did an ILS touch and go approach and all went as expected. Mmmmmm.. I downloaded it today so I don't know if I got a different package? Also when I installed It I shut off all other running programs including AVG.... At any rate could not ask for a better GP aircraft.. It will be one of, if not my best, GP plane. :typing: I've yet to get their Mentor. I think next month I'll get me that one too..

David :wave:

Edit: PS: Best FPS payware I"ve ever had!

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2009, 08:02
Seriously Carenado? Mirroring the fuselage? There's no separate wing textures either.

What will it take for them to release a plane that can be properly painted? ONE more texture will NOT affect performance. Please stop making the same mistakes over and over again. :blind:

gajit
March 21st, 2009, 09:41
Its great to have more Pipers to fly. Well done Carenado :applause:

Fireball6
March 21st, 2009, 10:58
Just get a mail from Mauricio Illanes, Carenado.com - they work on a solution for the "stripe"-thing. :mixedsmi:

gajit
March 21st, 2009, 11:22
Just get a mail from Mauricio Illanes, Carenado.com - they work on a solution for the "stripe"-thing. :mixedsmi:

Well done Fireball:wavey:

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2009, 12:07
I think I'm giving up painting this one.

WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE PAINT KITS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????? :angryfir:

tigisfat
March 21st, 2009, 13:38
Seriously Carenado? Mirroring the fuselage? There's no separate wing textures either.

What will it take for them to release a plane that can be properly painted? ONE more texture will NOT affect performance. Please stop making the same mistakes over and over again. :blind:

Dude, your insider knowledge as a developer is leading you to be a little harsh. I find it perfectly acceptable, and I find carenado products above average.

You don't like it because you think the technique shows poor form if I understand you right; and I apologize if I don't. Most MSFS consumers (who are not developers, mind you) don't care about this kinda stuff. If it looks right to me as a real-world arrow pilot, then I don't care.:hand:

The wierd thing is, there are plenty of other things consumers want, like helicopter start-up sounds, that fellow developers will defend the absence of. You guys are a wierd breed.:gossip:

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2009, 13:44
Dude, your insider knowledge as a developer is leading you to be a little harsh. I find it perfectly acceptable, and I find carenado products above average.

You don't like it because you think the technique shows poor form if I understand you right; and I apologize if I don't. Most MSFS consumers (who are not developers, mind you) don't care about this kinda stuff. If it looks right to me as a real-world arrow pilot, then I don't care.:hand:

The wierd thing is, there are plenty of other things consumers want, like helicopter start-up sounds, that fellow developers will defend the absence of. You guys are a wierd breed.:gossip:

You are totally wrong in your thinking. I just want a plane that I can easily repaint. Every other developer doesn't seem to have a problem doing this. Carenado is the only major developer mirroring textures anymore. They are also among the very few who don't provide paint kits.

I love the new arrow, but I don't love that I can't do repaints. That is the same with most of their other products too.

6297J
March 21st, 2009, 14:14
I'm with you Kiwikat and I think tigisfat has kind of missed the point you were making but I have been able to find plenty of repaints for the other Carenado aircraft, the Mentor and the Stationair for example - I've got loads of repaints for those.
Is the Arrow different or is it just that all Carenado aircraft are difficult to repaint?

tigisfat
March 21st, 2009, 14:16
Maybe I have missed the point, but how many repaints do you really need for a GA aircraft, of which 99% are white with some sort of stripes?

6297J
March 21st, 2009, 14:20
Maybe I have missed the point, but how many repaints do you really need for a GA aircraft, of which 99% are white with some sort of stripes?

I usually cut my repaints down to two or three at most - I hate having hundreds of different variants unless there is a good reason.
But some people might like one with the same reg and livery as the aircraft they first solo'd in.
Some people might just not like stripes.

gajit
March 21st, 2009, 23:07

Thats a bit like saying:" miltary aircraft are generally green with some brown sploged on !" :jump:

d0mokun
March 22nd, 2009, 00:34
That's true.

Plus, what if I want a British or a Kiwi aeroplane? No good to me if the paints are all American as I hardly ever, if at all, fly in America. So I like to whip paints out with the paint kit.

As I'm sure many do.

Panther_99FS
March 22nd, 2009, 08:07

I like to have liveries for each country that fly in :) (Predominantly USA, Oz, UK, Germany, Italy, France, Nz, Canada, for GA flying)

6297J
March 22nd, 2009, 08:32
I like to have liveries for each country that fly in :) (Predominantly USA, Oz, UK, Germany, Italy, France, Nz, Canada, for GA flying)

I bet you have his'n'hers liveries too don't you ;)

Ark
March 22nd, 2009, 08:37
I like all of my GA aircraft to be all white with one blue stripe with the reg. number N9560V (the aircraft reg. I soloed in). :)

cheezyflier
March 22nd, 2009, 08:52
i like carenado stuff, but i don't see me getting this one. i have the aa-5b if i wanna fly hershey bar style wings, and i like it a whole lot. i am curious about what they might produce next though. i wish they'd do a 337.

gajit
March 22nd, 2009, 09:17
Yes - a Cavenado 337 would be great, or a Cardinal :wavey:

6297J
March 22nd, 2009, 09:27
I'd like a Carenado Chipmunk

Fireball6
March 22nd, 2009, 10:22
We need a Cessna 185 Skywagon - with wheel and floats :wavey: Waiting for a good one soooooooooo llllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggg.

Killbilly
March 22nd, 2009, 10:22
I just want a full FSX version of their V-35. :jump:

doublecool
March 22nd, 2009, 10:25
I always hoped they would redo their Piper Tomahawk :jump:

Kiwikat
March 22nd, 2009, 11:01
I just want a full FSX version of their V-35. :jump:

I want an UPDATED and FSX version of the V-35. If they moved their old one to FSX I wouldn't even buy it. If they brought it up to their new standards I'd be the first one in line. :karate:

hinch
March 22nd, 2009, 11:15

That would be amazing!

gajit
March 22nd, 2009, 11:45

A brilliant idea! :applause::applause:

Who here flew them in the Air Training Corps????? Like wot I done.

6297J
March 22nd, 2009, 12:01
A brilliant idea! :applause::applause:

Who here flew them in the Air Training Corps????? Like wot I done.

My brother did

I was an Army Cadet :sniper:

But Chipmunks are the sound of Summer to me - they were always flying over east Cornwall when I was a kid.

I loved Rick Piper's Chippy in FS9 and would love to see a good FSX version. Carenado would be the ideal company I think.

Nick C
March 22nd, 2009, 12:05
Rick made an FSX Chipmunk, didn't he? Or was that pre SP2?

ryanbatc
March 22nd, 2009, 12:21
i like carenado stuff, but i don't see me getting this one. i have the aa-5b if i wanna fly hershey bar style wings, and i like it a whole lot. i am curious about what they might produce next though. i wish they'd do a 337.

Their next one is a PA34 Seneca :wavey:

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/incomings.php3

6297J
March 22nd, 2009, 12:25
I'm downloading it now but it dates from 2006 so I can't imagine its SP2 compatible. We shall see though.

edit - Nope, not in DX10

6297J
March 22nd, 2009, 12:26
Their next one is a PA34 Seneca :wavey:

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/incomings.php3

I have a feeling that if the Seneca is a success (and why wouldn't it be) then it might be the first in a line of twins.
Which wouldn't be a bad thing of course!

ryanbatc
March 22nd, 2009, 12:28
I'm still waiting on the RealAir Duke :applause:

ryanbatc
March 22nd, 2009, 12:36
I just bought this Arrow and it's decent except the rudder seems to have a lot of authority, even at low speeds. Is this accurate? Kick in some rudder and you yaw very quickly to the left/right. I flew a Piper Warrior III and the rudder was never like this. Is this behavior dude to the T-tail?

Also, where are the strobe lights? I don't see them at all? plus, using keyboard "L" turns on the panel lights and dome light but the anti-collision lights (as per the manual) don't do anything at all. Am I missing something? The gauge lights rocker switch has no effect in the day either.

kilo delta
March 22nd, 2009, 12:56
+1 for a Chippie :woot:

cheezyflier
March 22nd, 2009, 13:56
I have a feeling that if the Seneca is a success (and why wouldn't it be) then it might be the first in a line of twins.
Which wouldn't be a bad thing of course!

twins are nice, no argument there. (let's not forget the 337 is also a twin)
but if they put out that seneca without a decent a/p then that just sucks. who would buy such a nice aircraft and not put good electronics in it?

Nick C
March 22nd, 2009, 14:45
I'm downloading it now but it dates from 2006 so I can't imagine its SP2 compatible. We shall see though.

edit - Nope, not in DX10

Only seems like yesterday when I snapped a couple of shots on Christmas Morning, release day, seconds before driving to relatives for Turkey! Where does time go??

N2056
March 22nd, 2009, 15:37
The Carenado Seneca is giving me a bit of heartburn...they make great planes, but that one will be direct competition to my rework of the FSD Seneca V for FSX. I think we (FSD) have a much better panel, and I think our interior lighting is better. My Seneca will also be very re-paintable as the fuselage & wings are not mirrored. This is gonna be interesting to say the least!

MCDesigns
March 22nd, 2009, 16:14
The Carenado Seneca is giving me a bit of heartburn...they make great planes, but that one will be direct competition to my rework of the FSD Seneca V for FSX. I think we (FSD) have a much better panel, and I think our interior lighting is better. My Seneca will also be very re-paintable as the fuselage & wings are not mirrored. This is gonna be interesting to say the least!

Only one thing to do.....................GET BOTH! :ernae:

tigisfat
March 22nd, 2009, 20:18
I just bought this Arrow and it's decent except the rudder seems to have a lot of authority, even at low speeds. Is this accurate? Kick in some rudder and you yaw very quickly to the left/right. I flew a Piper Warrior III and the rudder was never like this. Is this behavior dude to the T-tail?

Also, where are the strobe lights? I don't see them at all? plus, using keyboard "L" turns on the panel lights and dome light but the anti-collision lights (as per the manual) don't do anything at all. Am I missing something? The gauge lights rocker switch has no effect in the day either.

Arrows fly pretty much the same as the warriors you're used to. They are a little more stable, and the nose is heavier.

d0mokun
March 22nd, 2009, 21:09
Here's my go at a repaint. I wanted a Kiwi bird for my Kiwi flying adventures, so I found one.

It's quite similar to one of the defaults. Also has a modified interior to suit the colours of the real one.

The serial isn't quite the right size nor in the right shape- the mapping is utterly unfriendly at the rear of the aircraft and on the right hand side. Unless the serial fits in the default serial area, it wont come out right- trust me.

spotlope
March 22nd, 2009, 21:38
Looks fabulous, Dan.

gajit
March 22nd, 2009, 23:12
Nice going Dan:wavey:

Naki
March 23rd, 2009, 01:49
Looks great Dan - dont have the Arrow yet but is there any chance uploading the "PAE" paint to SOH or Avsim??

d0mokun
March 23rd, 2009, 02:39
Sure thing, I'll ask Carenado for permission and then let you all know!

MCDesigns
March 23rd, 2009, 06:33
Looks good Dan! :ernae:

cheezyflier
March 23rd, 2009, 07:17
Sure thing, I'll ask Carenado for permission and then let you all know!

i have a funny feeling the thing they will take issue with is the interior changes...

maloney
March 23rd, 2009, 08:51
Oh, they are a bit sloppy about interior changes now, methinks. The wooden Cessna 206 panel is still available on avsim ... ;)

Well, to be serious now. The reason why Carenado does not provide a layered paint kit is simple and straight-forward: They don't give avay their secrets. The way M. Illanes blends photographs with photoreal-style painting is an outstanding craftsmanship and i'm sure he wants that technique secure to himself. And hell, no one can (or should) blame him for that.

But even with a bare white bitmap a skilled repainter can do miracles. There's no need for rivet lines and things like that, they are all present. All you have to do is keep on trying. A old copy of Photoshop or PaintShop will do the job perfectly, even paint.net can do this.

Now the mirrored textures are indeed a little nuisance here. They prevent larger reg numbers and additional lettering on the fuselage and wings. Surely a layback on a repainters imagination for unusual liveries, but i can live with that. A poster further above said it correctly: Most G/A planes are indeed white with some stripes, and the average simmer doesn't care at all.
Additional texture files would blow up the overall texture load for FSX, and don't forget the fact that still most FSX simmers do not have a state-of-the-art rig to max out the sim.

All right, that all sounds a bit like a scoolmasters speech, but beleive me, i have some knowledge about repainting Carenado stuff. They provide the best textures on FS aircraft ever, and the best "paint kits" to work with.

just my 2 cents ...

cheers,

gajit
March 23rd, 2009, 10:06
Interesting Maloney - they sure are good at keeping those frame rates as well as quality high :wavey:

calypsos
March 23rd, 2009, 10:12
Rick's Chippy is pre SP2 so you get some small things that are quite right. From what I recall, the compass and accelerometer are both transparent. Apart from that, (and possible the prop see-thru?) the huge range of textures all work a treat and she is a joy to fly, as always. With no planned FSX replacement, hopefully these older masterpieces may (one day) be updated.

d0mokun
March 23rd, 2009, 14:25
Now the mirrored textures are indeed a little nuisance here. They prevent larger reg numbers and additional lettering on the fuselage and wings. Surely a layback on a repainters imagination for unusual liveries, but i can live with that.
Additional texture files would blow up the overall texture load for FSX, and don't forget the fact that still most FSX simmers do not have a state-of-the-art rig to max out the sim.

A little nuisance is an understatement.

Plus, there are already 35 bitmap textures with no fallback. It wouldn't hurt at all to have one more texture if it meant mapping was done correctly.

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2009, 15:26
Rick's Chippy is pre SP2 so you get some small things that are quite right. From what I recall, the compass and accelerometer are both transparent.

There was a fix posted for this....possibly in the Classic British FS forums?

Javis
March 23rd, 2009, 20:33
It's all bloody the same over and over again, isn't it. :sheep:

I'd like to see Carenado doing a F-102, PMDG doing a Helldiver, A2A doing a Boeing 777, Iris doing a Piper PA23, Wilco/Feelthere doing a Tigermoth.

Now *THAT* would stir up our easy-going FS community, wouldn't it ! :d

One you can't catch is CaptainSim, next to their 757 they did a F-104 and even an ol' propfighter ( Yak-3 )

Just kidding here, naturally. :costumes: :friday:

Big fan of Carenado. Just about got them all. After i got their wonderful FS9 Bonanza i sent them a congrats and thank you email and just for fun inquired about 'hows the inevitable Mentor coming along'. Much to my surprise and great pleasure Fernando wrote back that they were actually working on it... :)

Although it looks absolutely marvelous again not sure if i'll be getting the Arrow.. Actually waiting for their F-102.. :d ( Oh, and their native FSX Bonanza naturally )

Cheers,
Jan

Ark
March 24th, 2009, 21:55
I'd like to see Carenado do a Cessna P210 and a Piper Seminole.

cheezyflier
March 25th, 2009, 06:24
i sent them an email asking them to do a 337 recently.
hey who knows, right? if you don't play, you can't win

Peter SWE
March 25th, 2009, 14:56
Anyone know where i can find performacecharts (fuel, distance, manifold pressure, rpm and such)? I might have missed them in the download somewhere but i can't find any.

gary42127
March 27th, 2009, 05:15
Is there a reason why the CG is in the tail of the aircraft?

gajit
March 27th, 2009, 09:36

Dont forget to trim it - always had to on the real thing.

FAC257
March 27th, 2009, 10:04

I've been meaning to post a similar question.

I really like this new addition to the Carnenado hanger but I'm finding it wants to fly in a nose up atitude even when there seems to be ample power and airspeed. The last flight using her I was at a cruise altitude of 7500' and the pitched up nose was pretty noticable.

Spilot69
March 27th, 2009, 10:48
She cruises a little too slow but I only have flown the Turbo Arrow IV. But yes she flies way too nose up.

tigisfat
March 27th, 2009, 11:02
The real aircraft, when viewed from the outside, appears to be pretty much nosed down even though it doesn't feel like it from the inside.

gary42127
March 27th, 2009, 11:02
Dont forget to trim it - always had to on the real thing.

When I select the "fuel and payload" menu, it shows the CG as being in the aircraft's tail.

JeffWelsh
March 27th, 2009, 19:16
Wait a sec - no 2D panel? Come on...

spotlope
March 27th, 2009, 19:18
2D panel? What's that?

Oh wait, I think I saw one of those in a museum a while back. :wavey:

gajit
March 27th, 2009, 22:53
When I select the "fuel and payload" menu, it shows the CG as being in the aircraft's tail.

Oh - never had that on the real thing or else I would not be here typing!!

Edit - Just had a go in Fuel and Payload and cannot get CG to move back very far even with excessive loading.

ryanbatc
March 30th, 2009, 14:34
Wait a sec - no 2D panel? Come on...

What's a 2D panel?