PDA

View Full Version : OT Internet Explorer 8 Available

PutPut
March 20th, 2009, 12:18
I see Microsoft has released the "street" version of IE 8. Has anybody tried it; supposed to be faster, more secure, etc.

Paul

kilo delta
March 20th, 2009, 12:23
Firefox ftw :friday:

JoeW
March 20th, 2009, 12:27
I'm waiting on comments from ya'll.
:bump:

harleyman
March 20th, 2009, 13:05
I'm skered...Just broke mine once... Not quite ready for another go just yet...

I'm waiting with Joe.....

icarus
March 20th, 2009, 13:13
still using Opera

6297J
March 20th, 2009, 13:32
I'm running headlong for that cliff. I shall report back from ....................................... over there :cost1:

gera
March 20th, 2009, 13:40
I have it...........................really the same darn thing with a whistle here and some hair there......typical stuff of the so called gurus :blind:at MS........not worth second of time....:rocket:...Opera is 100000000000000000% better!!!!!

CG_1976
March 20th, 2009, 13:53
Firefox main opera backup IE somewhere mia

6297J
March 20th, 2009, 13:57
Well, I have 64bit ie8 on this monitor and Firefox 3 on the other. All works beautifully.
As does my Smugmug account which is the one thing I was worried about.

Come on you chickens :swimming:

DaveKDEN
March 20th, 2009, 14:03
IE 8 on both my old (and slow) XP Pro computer and my new VISTA Ultimate. Works great on both! Easy to install, and some neat features. Watch the videos on the IE 8 homepage.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

6297J
March 20th, 2009, 14:11
I have to say it seems much, much faster especially in loading images.

orionll
March 20th, 2009, 14:21
Works nicely here :). The thing is, ever since Live Mesh stopped working with IE7, I've moved to Firefox and can't stand the internet without Adblock Plus :P.

hinch
March 20th, 2009, 14:23
It's a big step forward, though it still has a long way to go to catch up with the developer friendliness of competitors to deliver a consistant output.

There is a good overview here: http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10200670-12.html

glennc
March 20th, 2009, 14:30
I've been playing with it at work this afternoon for both business and a couple personal sites. The compatibility mode may be handy. It fixed a display issue on Simflight. too soon to be sure, but I'm hoping the hung child windows are gone.

Glenn

Buddha13
March 21st, 2009, 05:54
Hi all,
been using RC 1 for a couple of months.No problems and I like it.

Buddha13

GT182
March 21st, 2009, 06:00
I'm skered.....

Same here too. I had nothing but trouble with IE7 so I went back to IE6. No problems with that one.

I'll wait til I hear more on how good it shoulda coulda be. ;)

beatle
March 21st, 2009, 06:23
Warning, Danger Will Robinson :->

Just wanted to let you know we have identified an "issue" with the kneeboard display being corrupted on machines with IE8 installed (although I haven't tested this with the final released version, I don't have a Vista machine that can also run FSX left, all my main machines are running Win7 Beta). If we find a fix/workaround, I'll let you all know.

Tim

datter
March 21st, 2009, 06:57
I've been a die hard Firefox user, but lately getting frustrated with it's RAM eating capabilities. It's just getting so heavy and bloated over time. I decided to try out IE8 and liked it, but didn't care for the sheer fact that it was IE. That got me looking into Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome), and I am absolutely sold on it. Lightweight and very fast.

I did a few memory tests with FF3, IE8 and Chrome and found that in average IE8 used the most RAM, FF came in second and Chrome used the least.

Chrome, for the complete win. Give it a shot, you've nothing to lose especially since it's not intergrated into Windows like IE is... it's just a small 3rd party app from Google.

deimos256
March 21st, 2009, 08:27
I've been a die hard Firefox user, but lately getting frustrated with it's RAM eating capabilities. It's just getting so heavy and bloated over time. I decided to try out IE8 and liked it, but didn't care for the sheer fact that it was IE. That got me looking into Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome), and I am absolutely sold on it. Lightweight and very fast.

I did a few memory tests with FF3, IE8 and Chrome and found that in average IE8 used the most RAM, FF came in second and Chrome used the least.

Chrome, for the complete win. Give it a shot, you've nothing to lose especially since it's not intergrated into Windows like IE is... it's just a small 3rd party app from Google.

I currently use chrome and it was lightning fast when i first got it, but over time it gets slow. i still use it now but since its an ongoing beta sometimes its great and other times its annoying. I stay very far away from IE and i use Firefox for Quake Live

icarus
March 21st, 2009, 09:01
That got me looking into Google Chrome

yes reading about Chrome beta next version seems it will be 35% faster than old one due a new javascript engine...so seems my Opera will be my second browser next months. Firefox no thanks too much ram and too many problem with flash, explorer no thanks i prefer survive.

deimos256
March 21st, 2009, 09:20
thats great news, chrome has a very un-cluttered look to it and i like when you open a new tab it gives you the 9 most visited websites and recent bookmarks, similar to opera and speed dial

JimC1702
March 22nd, 2009, 17:42
I downloaded IE 8 and installed it. It's ok, but there were a couple things I didn't really care for. Today I downloaded Chrome, it's got promise.

Jim

glennc
March 22nd, 2009, 18:21
I think I have found a problem. I have an HP networked printer, the J6480. I tried using the HP Solution Center on the laptop I put IE8 on. The Solution Center fails to load the sub-pages, like scanning, on that machine. I found a note in the HP site that indicates it'll be about three months before we'll see a fix. So much for beta testing.

Glenn

DaveKDEN
March 24th, 2009, 09:20
Not one lock-up or crash since installing IE 8 last Thursday (5 days so far). Couldn't even get a day out of IE 7.
BIG THUMBS UP FROM ME - NICE JOB ON IE 8 MS!!! :ernae:

6297J
March 24th, 2009, 09:50
The only gripe I have is that I'm having to run the 32 bit version as Adobe still haven't come up with 64 bit Flash. Google Toolbar doesn't seem to work in 64 bit either.
Apart from that, yes its an improvement.

Roger
March 24th, 2009, 10:16
Wow! Much quicker. Thanks for the hu Paul:ernae:

Stan V.
March 25th, 2009, 08:13
I posted this on another thread ...

"... I too use Win XP Pro, and last evening I ran into a circumstance that you should be aware of if you are even vaguely thinking about installing the new Internet Explorer 8 recently released by MS. I did that blindly a few days ago and encountered several CTDs while visiting a variety of websites afterward. (Many of these stemmed from incompatibilities between IE8's new features and older websites) Fortunately for me, I had not installed SP3 since I belatedly found out that IE8 cannot be uninstalled from XP if you have SP3 installed. [Actually, if you read MS's instructions carefully, I think you can uninstall it but you have to uninstall SP3 first.] MS provides a tool to uninstall IE8 but you have to search for it on their site. Once you get to the point of using it, MS's Fix tool works well and IE7 is reinstated. Eventually, these sorts of problems will be resolved but for the time being, be wary of IE8 and do your homework."

Stan V.

Nick C
March 25th, 2009, 08:40
I tend to use Fox for most of my browsing, but here at work I have IE8 installed because some sites I use don't work with Fox. However, some of the sites I need to use IE for have script that doesn't like IE8 yet.

As well as Opera, Apple's Safari is another browser worth looking at. It's supposed to run Javascript far faster than any other browser. I have it installed for testing purposes, but it's not really my cup of tea.

cheezyflier
March 25th, 2009, 15:00
opera forever!!!!

SolarEagle
March 25th, 2009, 19:54
Bah, windows 7 users can't get it. That's too bad as my IE 8 beta is the most disfunctional piece of software I have ever used. FSX is a close second! lol But seriously, when I view gmail, the Orbx forum, and others, I have text all over the place, various fields over lapping each other, among many other anomolies.

hinch
March 26th, 2009, 03:48
Installed IE 8 but I had to go back to a restore point to get rid of it. Once installed it ruined my folder options which then wouldn't wouldn't obey me.

I'll stick with IE7 with the 8 beta stuck on for my testing needs for now.

GT182
March 26th, 2009, 04:19
Looks like I'll stick with IE6 a bit longer. IE7 was worse than snot on a doorknob, I had nothing but problems with it. So I'll wait to get 8 later on.

guzler
March 26th, 2009, 05:36
Well, now installed Chrome. Can't tell much of a difference from IE7, but seems to run well. Never really had any problems with IE7, so will keep it for now.

foreigndevil
March 26th, 2009, 09:54
IE8 is as slow as IE7 and hangs just as much as IE7. I see no improvement there.

vstudios
March 26th, 2009, 12:19
A little OT but still...

I develop a lot of websites for companies on a free lance basis and use FF, IE, Netscape the list goes on.. coding for IE is a pain in the a$$ regarding coding standards, what works in the majority of browsers wont work in IE and so forth.. 9/10 I have to write hacks in order for IE to display correctly. From past experience.. Google chrome is one hell of a browser which I now use on a daily basis.

Personally I'll be waiting before upgrading to IE 8 or even wait for IE9 which is also currently in beta / development.

Cazzie
March 26th, 2009, 12:42
I reckon I am sold on Firefox. I am currently using 3.1 and haven't tried the Beta 3 version. I, for one, do not like Beta programs, I prefer to wait until the kinks are worked out.

Chrome is a pretty face, but I still prefer Firefox. Still get faster downloads from FF than IE or Chrome.

Caz

hinch
March 26th, 2009, 16:56
A little OT but still...

I develop a lot of websites for companies on a free lance basis and use FF, IE, Netscape the list goes on.. coding for IE is a pain in the a$$ regarding coding standards, what works in the majority of browsers wont work in IE and so forth.. 9/10 I have to write hacks in order for IE to display correctly. From past experience.. Google chrome is one hell of a browser which I now use on a daily basis.

Personally I'll be waiting before upgrading to IE 8 or even wait for IE9 which is also currently in beta / development.

IE8 developers were promising standards compliance but have again made up their own rules due to beta feedback. From who!? I imagine most of those using the beta were developers and thanked them for NOT making up their own rules.

It makes me extremely irritated it will be another 3 years until there is a wiff of them listening to those who write the code specifications.

cheezyflier
March 26th, 2009, 21:10
opera forever!!!!

like i said....

vstudios
March 27th, 2009, 01:18
IE8 developers were promising standards compliance but have again made up their own rules due to beta feedback. From who!? I imagine most of those using the beta were developers and thanked them for NOT making up their own rules.

It makes me extremely irritated it will be another 3 years until there is a wiff of them listening to those who write the code specifications.

Personally I think that its all down to M$ trying to set their own standards and are not even bothered about the W3C Consortium, I guess that good old M$ for you. How hard can it be if other browser vendors take the care and time to making their work W3C compliant.

UnknownGuest12
March 27th, 2009, 09:17
Faster, easy to install with a few new safety itens
Solved a strange problem that I had only in SOH site, (blocked after a while, donīt know why).
I'll keep it.

Crusader
March 28th, 2009, 02:55
Does Google Chrome automatically import your Favorites folder over when installing ?

Rich

icarus
March 28th, 2009, 03:43
Don't remember when installing but you can import after installation and the version 2. is on the way 35% faster than actual that is really fast.

Crusader
March 28th, 2009, 04:24
Don't remember when installing but you can import after installation and the version 2. is on the way 35% faster than actual that is really fast.

Thanks for the reply . I may have to give Chrome a try .

Rich

cheezyflier
March 28th, 2009, 06:24
opera forever!!!!