PDA

View Full Version : OT Previews of Choppers in ARMA II

gajit
March 19th, 2009, 00:02
Hi. Im a fan of Arma Armed Assault and getting very excited by the preview screens of Arma II.

http://www.armedassault.info/ftp/pics/news/pics1/steampic1.jpg

These aircraft also have bump mapping, self shadow etc with the added realism of being able to bail out and carry on fighting.

With free addons getting very well made for the current version I have a feeling one day SOH will have a forum.

d0mokun
March 19th, 2009, 00:13
Excellent stuff. Can't wait for the Hind to make a come back. I missed that one when it wasn't included with ARMA. ARMA nor Flashpoint never were too intense with aircraft realism though. Then again that's literally not the 'aim of the game'!

gajit
March 19th, 2009, 00:25
Excellent stuff. Can't wait for the Hind to make a come back. I missed that one when it wasn't included with ARMA. ARMA nor Flashpoint never were too intense with aircraft realism though. Then again that's literally not the 'aim of the game'!

Agreed - but with the joystick and settings applied i have found the chopper flying to be a tad more like the real thing that some FS flight dynamics - thats if you dont get blown out of the sky by some AA weapon carrying insurgent.

yago9
March 19th, 2009, 01:21
It sure looks something I want to try..Thx for the info.

An-225
March 19th, 2009, 01:26
I never knew that the people at SOH were into ArmA.

Much less a developer for Alphasim! ;)

I really cannot care too much for FS anymore, I'm just waiting with excitement for ArmA 2. The KA-52, Su-25, V-22 and (K?)C-130J are great additions to ArmA.

Gajit, what do you have to say on the rotor effectiveness (and glide ratio) of the helicopters? I find they take too long to respond to throttle controls, and it makes flying NOE very difficult, especially when you hold full collective to clear a tree, and the helicopter gently glides upwards. Other times, you set the collective to idle, and the helicopter will not descend fast enough to minimise radar contact.

Daube
March 19th, 2009, 01:36
You guys shouldn't be too optimistic, in my opinion.
Sure those aircrafts look good. For that exact same reason I have installed ARMA, which I had bought months ago but never installed, last weekend.
I quickly created a mission placing myself, a plane and a chopper next to me, ready for takeoff.
Sure it looks good, but the experience is totally ruined as soon as you enter in the cockpit. The way the aircraft behaves, the very, VERY poor instrumentation, the very poor interface for interacting with the aircraft systems etc... I won't even talk about the ridiculous field and distance of view which makes the flight of anything but a slow helo completely impossible. The game was uninstalled after 30 minutes on my hardrive.
And seeing how small was the evolution between Flashpoint and Arma, I fear that Arma will be nothing more than Flashpoint 1.3, with the exact same frustrations.

d0mokun
March 19th, 2009, 01:49
I used to play Flashpoint all the damn time when I was younger. I loved that game.

ARMA definitely has its problems, that has to be said. I can't play it anymore because I've got over 4gb RAM.

But then, it isn't a flight simulator. It's a kiss kiss bang bang 'wargame'.

Another one to look forward to is OFP 2. Codemasters are bringing a demo out soon iirc.

stiz
March 19th, 2009, 04:23
well i never played ofp but i play arma to death, i'll agree its deffinitaly not a flight sim, and i feel sorry for anyone who buys it thinking that it is, at the end of the days its a sim for grunts, and a bloody good one at that i reckon, it really shines when your doing co op :)

Also wasnt the over 4 gig thing fixed in 1.15?

It'll be intresting to see how codemasters do with with ofpdr (seeing how there useing someones elses product to make theres sound better (and yes i now the polotics behind it but still!) :173go1:) as codemasters arnt exactly known for feature filled games, and will it be as modable as Arma or Arma2??

gajit
March 19th, 2009, 04:50
Gajit, what do you have to say on the rotor effectiveness (and glide ratio) of the helicopters? I find they take too long to respond to throttle controls, and it makes flying NOE very difficult, especially when you hold full collective to clear a tree, and the helicopter gently glides upwards. Other times, you set the collective to idle, and the helicopter will not descend fast enough to minimise radar contact.

Hi An-225

Can say I have a problem with decents. I'm (pleased to) have never flown a real chopper that can make a rapid decend like a brick without diving (only experience in R22s R44s, B206 and the some Gazelle hours) and autorotations are generally fairly slow

But hey - as someone else said - this is not really a flight sim but offers an interesting alternative and aspect to flight combat.

EgoR64
March 19th, 2009, 04:53
:woot:

That looks awsome !!

Did not even need my glasses to make it look good, Wow !!

:friday::jump:

Boomer
March 19th, 2009, 05:04
Looks great! I will deff get it.

I to spent way to much time playing Flash Point. I love my flight sim, shooters & armored sims.

BTW not to hijack this tread but does anyone know a really good tank simulator? I would prefer modern but WWII would be good to if its a truly good one.

stiz
March 19th, 2009, 05:23
theres Steal Beasts for the moderen stuff
http://www.steelbeasts.com/

and for ww2 theres Steal Fury
http://www.steelfury.info/

MCDesigns
March 19th, 2009, 05:45
Hi. Im a fan of Arma Armed Assault and getting very excited by the preview screens of Arma II.

http://www.armedassault.info/ftp/pics/news/pics1/steampic1.jpg

These aircraft also have bump mapping, self shadow etc with the added realism of being able to bail out and carry on fighting.

With free addons getting very well made for the current version I have a feeling one day SOH will have a forum.

Wow, that does look sweet!!

I have gotten back into Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter/BF2 recently and was looking at ARMA, but will wait till ARMA2 now.:ernae:

Boomer
March 19th, 2009, 07:44
I cant believe that Steel Beasts is still around! I used to play that 15+ yrs ago... Unfortunately it doesn't look like the graphics have changed much, if at all :help:

I think I will have to pick up Steel Fury. Thanks!

Tako_Kichi
March 19th, 2009, 08:12
Hi, my name is Tako_Kichi and I am an ARMA nut too! (sounds like the intro to an AA meeting!)

For standalone play it's pretty poor but once you get into co-op MP play then it really comes into it's own. Even my wife loves to play it (and she's pretty damn good too!) and we regularly play either on a local LAN connection or with friends via the internet.

gajit
March 19th, 2009, 09:13
Hi, my name is Tako_Kichi and I am an ARMA nut too! (sounds like the intro to an AA meeting!)

For standalone play it's pretty poor but once you get into co-op MP play then it really comes into it's own. Even my wife loves to play it (and she's pretty damn good too!) and we regularly play either on a local LAN connection or with friends via the internet.

wow - Wife plays?!!? That is amazing :applause:

Bjoern
March 19th, 2009, 09:32
I skipped ArmA due to poor performance, even on my old dual core system.

Also, I wonder if it's possible to combine a ground combat sim with a real dynamic campaign, even though simulations seemed to have abandoned this feature ever since IL-2.

Tako_Kichi
March 19th, 2009, 09:39
wow - Wife plays?!!? That is amazing :applause:
I just showed my wife your comment and she roared with laughter. She thinks it's funny that people are amazed that she's into FPS type games.

She has a long history in the genre too. She started with the old DOS 'Castle Wolfenstein' then progressed through all the variations of 'Quake' (where she would kick my ass on a regular basis) and then on to 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' before getting into ARMA when I started in there. In fact I only had one copy for myself originally and she bitched and complained endlessly until I bought her a copy of her own so that she could play too!

Women playing combat sims is not that unusual and I have an online friend in the UK who's daughter is massively into 'CoD4' and is a leading member of one of the 'CoD4' clans.

gajit
March 19th, 2009, 10:04
Thats great to hear - :wavey:

Meanwhile I have just landed at a base in Armed Assult with a few of my heli mates!! All choppers are flyable.

6297J
March 19th, 2009, 10:56
Looks cool :tgun2:

I'm downloading the demo now

MCDesigns
March 19th, 2009, 10:58
Oh wow, love that Kiowa! I just did some research because I thought about picking up ARMA, but found a thread that compared it's pros and cons to Ghost Recon and I doubt I'd have the time to get into it, but ARMA2 for sure.

Nice to see there are some FSers into shooters! :ernae:

Scratch
March 19th, 2009, 13:44
I like both ARMA and GRAW.:woot:

MCDesigns
March 19th, 2009, 15:34
I like both ARMA and GRAW.:woot:

Sweet, do any COOP play? that is the one thing I loved about the original GR, hours of COOP.

To bad the helis aren't flyable in GRAW, that would be a blast

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2823/bhgraw.jpg

Scratch
March 19th, 2009, 16:13
I haven't played online since the original. It used to be a blast until all the dang cheaters started showing up.