PDA

View Full Version : Mojave airport

PRB
March 18th, 2009, 17:08
Anyone who is familiar with the airport at Mojave, CA (KMHV) knows about all the old airliners parked out there. It’s quite a site to see. I’ve driven past there many times and I’m always amazed at the spectacle. Well, I found scenery for it! Ok, so it’s been out for some time, but I just found it so I’m excited! This package also contains scenery for Vandenberg AFB (KVBG), and the airport at Tehachapi (KTSP). It’s pretty cool!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
(AVSIM: so_cal_scenery_20_fsx.zip, by Brian C. Selb)

limjack
March 19th, 2009, 06:49
That is so cool PRB, thanks for the HU! Now I want to go there and walk around this airport. I am assuming there is no access to getting close to these aircraft. Can you just see them from the road or do they do some sort of tour? Would make a cool road trip destination.

Jim

tigisfat
March 19th, 2009, 08:27
Check out my scenery for it over at flightsim.com: mojaveob.zip

PRB
March 19th, 2009, 17:45
Jim, you can certainly see it from the road. Out there in the desert you can see everything within a hundred miles or so, and you can see the Mojave airport from quite a ways off. Honestly, I don’t know exactly why they are there. I gather it’s a mothball site for planes that are not being used but need to be preserved, in case a need for them arises. Dry desert air and all that. Don’t know if there are any provisions for tourists like us! It's a normal civil airport, not a military base, so I'm sure we could get sort of close.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
This scenery is also supposed to have the giant wind mil arrays that are sprinkled across the mountains in that area, but I haven’t managed to find them yet.
<o:p></o:p>
Tig, I downloaded your Mojave scenery just now. Will check it out. Thanks!

tigisfat
March 19th, 2009, 22:11
Mojave (spaceport now, not airport) has several aerial reclamation companies. Old airliners are flown there, parked in the dirt, and then scrapped for their raw materials. An aircraft which is 'timed out' meaning that it's airframe has tons of hours, is worth more as scrap than it is any other way.

The aircraft parked there are constantly changing as new ones are parked and destroyed.

limjack
March 19th, 2009, 22:47
I need to go there and have access! Will download the area Friday. Thanks PRB and tigisfat.

Jim