PDA

View Full Version : Add-on Aircraft for FSX

aviator 49
March 18th, 2009, 13:42
hello all,

As I am fairly new to Flight Sim, I would like to ask for some help please regarding adding new aircraft to my exisiting FSX/FSX Acceleration pack.
Firstly, I have a FS addon folder which I created and then downloaded a few new aircraft for FSX. I have unzipped the folders into their own folder(C-130 as an example).
After opening this folder I have moved the folder and all its contents into the FSX folder, Simobjects folder. Thats what I was told to do.
The aircraft show up in FS, but the aircraft are just white with no textures. Also, I get a ? mark with a blank square in FS. I hope that this makes some sense, and I would appreciate if some one may be able to assit please.
If more info is required, just let me know.

Regards

Sam C

datter
March 18th, 2009, 13:47
The path you want is FSX>SIMOBJECTS>AIRPLANES>FOLDER with "folder" being your installed aircraft folder. If the folder is called C130 as in your example, you'd want:

FSX>SIMOBJECTS>AIRPLANES>C130

Also be sure to read any included readme files as sometimes there are gauges and effects, which typically go in FSX>GAUGES and FSX>TEXTURES respectively.

GypsyBaron
March 18th, 2009, 13:49
hello all,

As I am fairly new to Flight Sim, I would like to ask for some help please regarding adding new aircraft to my exisiting FSX/FSX Acceleration pack.
Firstly, I have a FS addon folder which I created and then downloaded a few new aircraft for FSX. I have unzipped the folders into their own folder(C-130 as an example).
After opening this folder I have moved the folder and all its contents into the FSX folder, Simobjects folder. Thats what I was told to do.
The aircraft show up in FS, but the aircraft are just white with no textures. Also, I get a ? mark with a blank square in FS. I hope that this makes some sense, and I would appreciate if some one may be able to assit please.
If more info is required, just let me know.

Regards

Sam C

The '?' in a blank square is due to the lack of a 'thumbnail.jpg'
file in the aircrafts' texture folder(s).

To create one, once you solve the white texture issue, simply
take a screenshot of the aircraft in the preview window,
crop and resize it in a paint program ( 256 x yyyy )
and save it as 'thumbnail.jpg' in the texture folder.

The white textures MAY be a result of you running in 'DX10 preview'
mode in Vista.

This is a common problem when trying to use FS9 aircraft
in FSX. Turning 'DX10 mode' OFF may resolve that issue.

Paul