PDA

View Full Version : ETO problems/questions

FlynnJ
March 18th, 2009, 12:26
I grabbed the 1.0 download of ETO last night, and banged my head on getting it installed for about 4 hours. Now, I'm no slouch when it comes to installing stuff, I've wrangled my share of config.sys-es and squeezed out that extra 8k back in the DOS days.

However, ETO has me befuddled.

I followed the included installation readme to the T, reinstalling it three times total. Every time, I don't think I got it to work correctly.

Here's my process:

Start the installer. My CFS3 is installed in G:\microsoft games\combat flight sim 3\. I pointed all the installers to the correct directory (G:\microsoft games\), and pointed that one program at the end to my correct ETO directory. I then went in and modified the two batch files that needed to be modified, and pointed them where I had ETO installed.

Now, I'm a bit confused on what the "spawn selector" is. If I want to play the 1944 Normandy campaign, I assume I select the "ETO Allied campaign" spawn selection, right? One of the things I noticed is after running this, it opens a command prompt that shows a ton of "file not found" errors. If, however, I go into my ETO directory and into the spawn directory, I can double click on the "ETO Allied campaign" spawn selection, and it renames the files correctly. Why does the desktop shortcut not work?

So, after that, I'm confused again. I pick the 1944 allies over europe scenario after loading the desktop shortcut to ETO. It then shows the 1944 splash screen, then the 1944 title screen.

After this, I see the 3D model of a pilot standing next to a plane. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how CFS3 normally looks? Should there be any indication that I'm in ETO at this point, or is this correct?

I then select "campaign", and I see 1942,1943,1944, phoney war, fortress de europe (or something), and I believe something about 1940. There doesn't seem to be a specific "allies over normandy" campaign there at all... am I just supposed to pick the 1944 campaign?

If I pick the 1944 campaign as an american, it starts me out in england with all of france under axis control. I'm pretty sure that the ETO 1944 campaign is supposed to have us already in europe, isn't it?

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Like I said, I installed everything exactly as the readme told me to and modified the two BAT files...

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, during this whole process, I scoured this forum for answers and didn't really find any that addressed my particular problem.

rbp71854
March 18th, 2009, 14:55
Now, I'm a bit confused on what the "spawn selector" is. If I want to play the 1944 Normandy campaign, I assume I select the "ETO Allied campaign" spawn selection, right? One of the things I noticed is after running this, it opens a command prompt that shows a ton of "file not found" errors. If, however, I go into my ETO directory and into the spawn directory, I can double click on the "ETO Allied campaign" spawn selection, and it renames the files correctly. Why does the desktop shortcut not work?

A: It sounds like the spawns have become corrupted. If you selected and double clicked the ETO Allied campaign" bat file within the spawn folder that will only change those files. In order for the spawn selector to work properly other other files need to be renamed 1st. There is a master spawn selector bat file in the spawn folder that is the one that should be used if you do not use the desktop shortcut.

So, after that, I'm confused again. I pick the 1944 allies over europe scenario after loading the desktop shortcut to ETO. It then shows the 1944 splash screen, then the 1944 title screen.

After this, I see the 3D model of a pilot standing next to a plane. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how CFS3 normally looks?

A: Correct

I then select "campaign", and I see 1942,1943,1944, phoney war, fortress de europe (or something), and I believe something about 1940. There doesn't seem to be a specific "allies over normandy" campaign there at all... am I just supposed to pick the 1944 campaign?

A: Yes

If I pick the 1944 campaign as an american, it starts me out in england with all of france under axis control. I'm pretty sure that the ETO 1944 campaign is supposed to have us already in europe, isn't it?

A: No, D-Day June 6, 1944. It wasn't to about the mid June that Allied fighter units began using forward airfields in France.

My suggestion to repair your install is to download 1.20 update. Install 1.20 per the instructions. Then delete your entire spawns folder and use the ORIfs reinstaller to repair your spawns folder. You can do that by running and installing the ORIfs with spawns option into a dummy folder and then copying and pasting the spawns folder to your ETO install.

Hope that helps

Bob

FlynnJ
March 18th, 2009, 15:20

A: It sounds like the spawns have become corrupted. If you selected and double clicked the ETO Allied campaign" bat file within the spawn folder that will only change those files. In order for the spawn selector to work properly other other files need to be renamed 1st. There is a master spawn selector bat file in the spawn folder that is the one that should be used if you do not use the desktop shortcut.

After this, I see the 3D model of a pilot standing next to a plane. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how CFS3 normally looks?

A: Correct

A: Yes

A: No, D-Day June 6, 1944. It wasn't to about the mid June that Allied fighter units began using forward airfields in France.

My suggestion to repair your install is to download 1.20 update. Install 1.20 per the instructions. Then delete your entire spawns folder and use the ORIfs reinstaller to repair your spawns folder. You can do that by running and installing the ORIfs with spawns option into a dummy folder and then copying and pasting the spawns folder to your ETO install.

Hope that helps

Bob

At this point, I'm considering just wiping my ETO install and re-installing fresh, and just using the master spawn .bat (whatever it's called) that is in the Spawns directory.

So, the proper operation procedure is-

Install the game

Fix the path data in the 2 .bat files

Run the master spawn .bat file that is in the Spawns directory, and select "ETO Allied Campaign" if I'm playing as the allies

Run the desktop shortcut to run ETO

Select the time period I want

Get into the game, then select the campaign of the year I want (it's just called 1944, if I pick "allies - normandy to germany" in the initial load screen?).

Then I'm good to go?

Is there any indication that ETO is running correctly once you get to the main screen where you select the campaign date, or after that? Is there a warning sign I'd notice if the spawns were corrupted, or it was installed incorrectly?

Another thing I noticed is there is a "1945 push to berlin" scenario as well, but there doesn't seem to see any "1945" scenario entry when selecting my campaign.

rbp71854
March 18th, 2009, 15:46
Flynn

You have the procedures down pat. The amount of campaigns presently are limitied and there isn't a particular campaign for each era. Hopefully in the future other campaigns will be developed by Led Zepplein or others.

There is no clear cut indication that spawns are corrupted. Its just how the game reacts during play that will give you an indication. CTDs, spawns being genrated when spawns are disabled, inappropritate spawns, etc.

FlynnJ
March 18th, 2009, 15:53
So, if I choose the 1945 campaign in the initial load, there isn't a corresponding campaign I should be playing? If I chose 1945 initially, then picked the 1943 campaign, what would happen?

I guess I'm just confused about how the whole "spawn" thing works, what it is, what it does, etc.

Thanks for all the help though guys!

rbp71854
March 18th, 2009, 16:00
No adverse effects will happen to the install, but it may mess up your saved campaign. Not sure never have done that. The generic eto campaign will run if you select 1944 or 1945. I would recommend starting a new campaign rather than using the campaign that you started in 1945.

So, if I choose the 1945 campaign in the initial load, there isn't a corresponding campaign I should be playing? If I chose 1945 initially, then picked the 1943 campaign, what would happen?

I guess I'm just confused about how the whole "spawn" thing works, what it is, what it does, etc.

Thanks for all the help though guys!

flyer01
March 18th, 2009, 20:13
rbp71854, I have add the FirePower install into 1.20 ,I read that you have a why to uninstall The Firepower so that we can play MP. Im not quit sure on how to do that.:help:
flyer01

rbp71854
March 19th, 2009, 02:48
F

I am not sure of your condition. You have the Fire Power addon or FP2PTO or FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto installed on your 1.02 or 1.20 ETO?

Different methods to un-install each, the range is from minor surgery to beyond possible hope :)

rbp71854, I have add the FirePower install into 1.20 ,I read that you have a why to uninstall The Firepower so that we can play MP. Im not quit sure on how to do that.:help:
flyer01

popsaka
March 19th, 2009, 04:12
just guessing but wouldn't it be better ta put Firepower in before the ETO mod?

rbp71854
March 19th, 2009, 04:43
No

The eto has its own set of effects, weapons, pylons. Anything already there will be overwritten if it has the same file name. If you install the FP add on to the eto then the FP effects overwrite the ETO effects and weapons.

The only way to combine the 2 is to cherry pick and merge specific items.

just guessing but wouldn't it be better ta put Firepower in before the ETO mod?

grizzly50
March 19th, 2009, 07:20
:kilroy:FlynnJ, please read this:

"
CFS3 ETO EXPANSION REV 1.0, 1.20, and 1.0 + 1.20

ETO BDP ZAPPER - This should be run after installing anything with effects, or adding new effects, or before a multiplayer online session.

ETO Backup - This should be run shortly after installation, while ETO is in Era 1 and the with the Spawn Selector set for 1, STOCK SPAWN MODE.

ETO Resolution - This may help reduce FPS drain.

CFS3 ETO EXPANSION SPAWN SELECTOR

STOCK SPAWN MODE - Mainly for stock spawns in QC.
RANDOM SPAWN DISABLE - Primarily for use when flying missions.
ALLIED SIDE ETO CAMPAIGN - Used when playing campaigns as an Allied player in Eras 3, 4, & 5.
AXIS SIDE ETO CAMPAIGN - Used playing campaigns as an Axis player in Eras 3, 4, & 5.
ALLIED SIDE ATTACK IN THE WEST CAMPAIGN - Used when playing an Allied pilot in the Attack in the West ’40 Campaign in Era 1.
AXIS SIDE ATTACK IN THE WEST CAMPAIGN - Used when playing an Axis pilot in the Attack in the West ’40 Campaign in Era 1.
ALLIED SIDE PHONEY WAR CAMPAIGN - Used while playing as an Allied pilot in the Phoney War Campaign in Era 1.
AXIS SIDE PHONEY WAR CAMPAIGN - Used while playing as an Axis pilot in the Phoney War Campaign in Era 1.

The ETO Spawn Selector controls all of the Spawn *.bat files.

The above settings are to be in place only in these intended Eras, as doing otherwise may cause problems during play, or even cause a CTD when a called-for spawn isn’t available.

CFS3 ETO EXPANSION CAMPAIGNS

There are currently only 5 campaigns in ETO:

Phoney War - Era 1.
Attack in the West ’40 - Era 1.
ETO 1943 - Era 3.
ETO 1944 - Era 4.
ETO 1945 - Era 5.

The above campaigns are to be played only in their intended Eras, as doing otherwise may cause problems during play, or even cause a CTD when a called-for spawn isn’t available.

There are a great many things in CFS3 ETO Expansion that are Era-specific: airfields/airbases, spawns, missions, global layers, etc.

Each of the five Eras contain their own specific set of items that are switched in and out by the Swappers: MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat, ETOEraSwapper.bat, ETOGLSwapper.bat (found only in the global_layer folder, and even the new, optional ETOMusicSwapper.bat.

The ETO Start icon controls the MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat file, which in turn, controls all of the others, but not the various Spawn *.bat files.

ETO START

1936 - SPRING 1940 SPAIN AND WEST ’40 - Era 1
SUMMER 1940 - YEAR END 1942 BATTLE OF BRITAIN - Era 2
EARLY 1943 - SPRING 1944 – YANKS OVER GERMANY - Era 3
SPRING 1944 - LATE 1944 NORMANDY TO THE RHINE - Era 4
LATE 1944 - SUMMER 1945 BATTLE OF THE BULGE TO V-E day – Era 5

Each of the above 5 Eras has its own set of files and folders, one each of the following: missions folder, splash24b.bmp (splash screen), qclocations.xml, uires folder, and gsl.lib & global_layer.csv (both in the global_layer folder).

The ETO Start icon controls the MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat file, which, in turn, controls all of the *.bat files, except for the Spawn *.bat files. This is what determines which airfields, missions, splash screens, etc that are to be used in a specific Era. The Swappers simply switch the names on the various files and folders.

Example: No matter which Era ETO is set for, there always the following folders and files: missions, uires, qclocations.xml, splash24b.bmp, gsl.lib, and global_layer.csv. These last two are only in the global_layer folder. You will notice while looking in the ETO main game folder with ETO set for Era 1 that there are four more of each of the similarly-named folders and files. These all have prefixes, such as 1944_ and bob_.

If you then set ETO to Era 2, you will still have missions, uires, qclocations.xml, splash24b.bmp, gsl.lib, and global_layer.csv. However, you will not have anything visible with the prefix “bob_”, but you will now also find “new” files and folders with the prefix of “1936_” (these are actually the former Era 1 items), as the Swappers have simply switched the names on these two sets of items only.

It is thus very necessary to use the desktop icons for the proper operation of ETO."

I hope this helps.

If you have any further problems or questions, please feel free to PM me at any time.:d

flyer01
March 19th, 2009, 08:23
F

I am not sure of your condition. You have the Fire Power addon or FP2PTO or FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto installed on your 1.02 or 1.20 ETO?

Different methods to un-install each, the range is from minor surgery to beyond possible hope :)

FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto Is what I have installed in eto 1.20.I thougt there might be an FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto Multiplayer Utility with the install. I Understand the Install now so no problems on my end with the FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto.
I am having some trouble with some of the airbases with the bigger planes blowing up after I pick them to fly in QC. The wings are hitting the ACC_windsock" before I click fly.
flyer01

rbp71854
March 19th, 2009, 08:40
Can you please be specific on the airfields that you have your heavies hitting the windsock? Are they fighter bases or bomber bases and what is their name. Not sure the ACC folks will do anything for the fighter bases, but they definately would for the bomber bases. Thanks neighbor.

FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto Is what I have installed in eto 1.20.I thougt there might be an FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto Multiplayer Utility with the install. I Understand the Install now so no problems on my end with the FP_USAAF_Heavy_Bombers_2eto.
I am having some trouble with some of the airbases with the bigger planes blowing up after I pick them to fly in QC. The wings are hitting the ACC_windsock" before I click fly.
flyer01

flyer01
March 19th, 2009, 09:00
Is there a why to tell if you are picking a fighter bases or bomber bases in QC? I'm sure you are right about fighter bases and bomber bases in QC.
Flyer01

rbp71854
March 19th, 2009, 09:18
The ACC folks have done a pretty good job defining the England AAF stuff. 8th AAF are bombers and 9th AAF are tactical. The RAF bases get a little more difficult in that one needs to hunt the web for what group was stationed at that airfield. Perhaps one of the ACC folks may have all inclusive listing. But in any case please do report the airfield which causes the blow up and we will let the ACC folks decide what they wish to do with that particular field.

Is there a why to tell if you are picking a fighter bases or bomber bases in QC? I'm sure you are right about fighter bases and bomber bases in QC.
Flyer01

flyer01
March 19th, 2009, 09:49
The ACC folks have done a pretty good job defining the England AAF stuff. 8th AAF are bombers and 9th AAF are tactical. The RAF bases get a little more difficult in that one needs to hunt the web for what group was stationed at that airfield. Perhaps one of the ACC folks may have all inclusive listing. But in any case please do report the airfield which causes the blow up and we will let the ACC folks decide what they wish to do with that particular field.

Thank you for your help! I will make a point of righting down the airbase that this happen,s in. But it will take some time. LOL.
fyer01

FlynnJ
March 20th, 2009, 13:32
So I did a complete fresh reinstall of ETO. I changed the two .bat files, and then went into the "spawns" folder and ran the master spawn selector .bat (can't recall the name) and selected the era spawns I wanted. It opened a command window that quickly showed a ton of "file not found" errors and then quit.

I looked at the .bat file, and all it seems to do is call one of the specific era spawn .bat files in the spawn directory... it didn't change any other files itself. So, I ran directly the .bat of the spawn era I wanted from the spawn directory. This threw up a command window that had some output, but it flashes on the screen so fast I couldn't see if they were errors or what they were.

I tried to execute the .bat file from a command prompt, but I can't figure out how to run a .bat file with whitespace in it's name. How do you do that?

I'm still not really clear, even after reading that whole writeup, how I can tell if my spawns are corrupted. I was playing as the RAF, and doing ship raids in the channel in the 1944 campaign. I flew about 5 of these missions, and 2 times when I showed up at the waypoint, there were only friendly ships there. Another time I showed up and there were 3 enemy tankers and 1 enemy cruiser, and 2 friendly tankers and 1 friendly cruiser right next to eachother fighting. Are these signs that my spawns are corrupted? Or do you sometimes only find friendly ships at the end of the waypoint, and sometimes find friendly cruisers (and tankers/transports, which is weird) fighting eachother?

EDIT: PS I love the new oil slicks from sinking ships! I think this is new, at least... it's been years since I played CFS3...

rbp71854
March 20th, 2009, 14:54
You should only use the masterspawnselector.bat. Using the individual spawn.bats may place the spawn files in a condition state that they can not recover from when you do run the masterspawnselector.

The masterspawnselector indeed does not rename any spawn files, but is the master.bat and controls the slave bats.

If you do not have a desktop shortcut for your masterspawnselector you can create one.

So I did a complete fresh reinstall of ETO. I changed the two .bat files, and then went into the "spawns" folder and ran the master spawn selector .bat (can't recall the name) and selected the era spawns I wanted. It opened a command window that quickly showed a ton of "file not found" errors and then quit.

I looked at the .bat file, and all it seems to do is call one of the specific era spawn .bat files in the spawn directory... it didn't change any other files itself. So, I ran directly the .bat of the spawn era I wanted from the spawn directory. This threw up a command window that had some output, but it flashes on the screen so fast I couldn't see if they were errors or what they were.

I tried to execute the .bat file from a command prompt, but I can't figure out how to run a .bat file with whitespace in it's name. How do you do that?

I'm still not really clear, even after reading that whole writeup, how I can tell if my spawns are corrupted. I was playing as the RAF, and doing ship raids in the channel in the 1944 campaign. I flew about 5 of these missions, and 2 times when I showed up at the waypoint, there were only friendly ships there. Another time I showed up and there were 3 enemy tankers and 1 enemy cruiser, and 2 friendly tankers and 1 friendly cruiser right next to eachother fighting. Are these signs that my spawns are corrupted? Or do you sometimes only find friendly ships at the end of the waypoint, and sometimes find friendly cruisers (and tankers/transports, which is weird) fighting eachother?

EDIT: PS I love the new oil slicks from sinking ships! I think this is new, at least... it's been years since I played CFS3...

flyinj
March 20th, 2009, 15:43
You should only use the masterspawnselector.bat. Using the individual spawn.bats may place the spawn files in a condition state that they can not recover from when you do run the masterspawnselector.

The masterspawnselector indeed does not rename any spawn files, but is the master.bat and controls the slave bats.

If you do not have a desktop shortcut for your masterspawnselector you can create one.

The problem is, both my masterspawnselector shortcut on the desktop and the one in the spawns directory give about 40 "file not founds" in a command window when I run them.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Vogelscheuche
March 20th, 2009, 23:06
In post #11 above, which nicely explains the proper use of the "spawn" selector for each of the eras, there seems to be no mention of which spawn to use for era 2 which is "Summer 1940 - Year end 1942 Battle of Britain"

What would be the correct spawn for Era 2?

rbp71854
March 21st, 2009, 02:06
Flynn

I believe that is normal. Led Zepplein probably could explain it better than I already have. When you select the masterspawnselector it then goes to the slave bat to run and rename the files to the state that you have selected. Going through that process the bat file tries to rename all the files to a particular state. If the files are already in the renamed state then you will get a file not found message, because the file is already in the end state.

The problem is, both my masterspawnselector shortcut on the desktop and the one in the spawns directory give about 40 "file not founds" in a command window when I run them.

Any idea why this would be happening?

rbp71854
March 21st, 2009, 02:08
Pity. No campaign has been written yet for a specific Battle of Britain campaign.:(

In post #11 above, which nicely explains the proper use of the "spawn" selector for each of the eras, there seems to be no mention of which spawn to use for era 2 which is "Summer 1940 - Year end 1942 Battle of Britain"

What would be the correct spawn for Era 2?

popsaka
March 21st, 2009, 13:59
No

The eto has its own set of effects, weapons, pylons. Anything already there will be overwritten if it has the same file name. If you install the FP add on to the eto then the FP effects overwrite the ETO effects and weapons.

The only way to combine the 2 is to cherry pick and merge specific items.

My fault for being unclear...
I mean, as long as FP won't hurt the installation process, most folks (myself included) would doubtful miss Firepower's fx, though great at the time, surely the ETO's stuff would be preferable and therefore simply letting ETO overwrite would be the way to go.(?) :engel016:

gianlucabagatti
March 22nd, 2009, 04:03
hi Bob, first of all thanks a lot for what you and the team are doing for our beloved community then a simple question:
regarding aircrafts is this upgrade (download went fine but did not already installed) adding only new ones or also modifies the old ones whatever stock or ETO standalones?
thks for feedback, my best regards, Gianluca
PS: I already have FP fighters and bombers in my ETO 1.02, but no missions and fx of course, and for what I´ve seen they perform quite normally.... when updating to 1.20 do u think I should have problem whatsoever? read the installation readme for FP bombers utilities and found it clear and easy so I do not expect major issues but...with CFS3 better asking before!

popsaka
March 22nd, 2009, 04:22
...only the biggest, most beautiful cache of a/c I've seen in many moons!!:faint:(:ernae:)

rbp71854
March 22nd, 2009, 04:39
Greetings G

Our plane captain Capt Winters has shepard many new aircraft into the 1.20 update, over 80! Plus there are major mods to the existing aircraft by improving sounds, VCs and skin textures. Also the shared files have been combed with a fine tooth comb to delete duplicates.

The FP Heavy Bombers utility only affects the B-17s and B-24. You should not have any problems by running the utility to install the additional B-24s and companion missions.

cheers
Bob

hi Bob, first of all thanks a lot for what you and the team are doing for our beloved community then a simple question:
regarding aircrafts is this upgrade (download went fine but did not already installed) adding only new ones or also modifies the old ones whatever stock or ETO standalones?
thks for feedback, my best regards, Gianluca
PS: I already have FP fighters and bombers in my ETO 1.02, but no missions and fx of course, and for what I´ve seen they perform quite normally.... when updating to 1.20 do u think I should have problem whatsoever? read the installation readme for FP bombers utilities and found it clear and easy so I do not expect major issues but...with CFS3 better asking before!

gianlucabagatti
March 22nd, 2009, 10:23
thks Bob, so you mean no changes in air.files or cgf. files.
this sounds good to me, having improved those files in stock planes with the Mudpond utility which suits to me and added effects like gtrails and vapor trails to to the xdp´s of some others...

rbp71854
March 22nd, 2009, 13:31
Ah G

You might want to save your cfg and air files then.

thks Bob, so you mean no changes in air.files or cgf. files.
this sounds good to me, having improved those files in stock planes with the Mudpond utility which suits to me and added effects like gtrails and vapor trails to to the xdp´s of some others...