View Full Version : Interesting Concepts

JoeW
March 18th, 2009, 11:56
Check this, guys.
http://www.robbreport.com/categories/aviation/NewAndNoteworthy.aspx
There is even a turbo twin Otter.

JimC1702
March 18th, 2009, 12:22
Wow, 4 million bucks!! Interesting stuff though.

Jim

GT182
March 18th, 2009, 12:23
That's sweet about the Twin Otter. I've had a few hours riding in several of them back in the 70s. I was a CSA in Massena, NY for Air North, who out of Burlington, VT. I wish I had the money, I'd love to own one... even the one's Viking Air Ltd are building. The Otter is an all around piece of equipement rarely matched.

Buddha13
March 18th, 2009, 12:46
Hi all,
Did anyone look at the bottom of the page.they are Building the grumman Goose again with all modern goodies like the twotter.

buddha13

OBIO
March 18th, 2009, 14:22
I'd be more interested in a new Goose if it inline, or better yet, radial engines...turbo props just seem so out of place on that classic design.

OBIO

Brian_Gladden
March 18th, 2009, 19:04
If I remember reading it right, you can order a new Goose with the radials but you don't get the gross and empty weight increases since the PT-6's weigh less and and have about 200 more HP per side.

Not to mention the fact of maintenance... those old recips are about 800 hours between overhaul at about $40,000 a pop per engine.

PT-6 is good for about 3000 hours between overhauls at about $60,000 a side. more per overhaul but only done a third of the time.

Brian

Lionheart
March 18th, 2009, 19:13
I'd be more interested in a new Goose if it inline, or better yet, radial engines...turbo props just seem so out of place on that classic design.

OBIO

OBIO,

Perhaps, to save money, you could order yours with Turboprops and round cowlings and have some group make some fake Radial front cover assemblies so it looks the biz.

:d

Bill

Kiwikat
March 18th, 2009, 19:27
OBIO,

Perhaps, to save money, you could order yours with Turboprops and round cowlings and have some group make some fake Radial front cover assemblies so it looks the biz.

Bill

LOL that would be the most peculiar thing to see and hear in real life. Well maybe not the most, but second place right behind the late Jimmy Franklin's jet biplane.

I love the grummans that have been converted to turbos. They are really impressive to watch takeoff.

OBIO
March 18th, 2009, 21:16
OBIO,

Bill

It might look like a radial, but it would not sound like a radial...and radial engines have the sound that most closely match my aviation heart.

OBIO

GT182
March 19th, 2009, 04:50
Hmmmm, a screaming Goose might be neat. :rapture:

srgalahad
March 19th, 2009, 11:02
It might look like a radial, but it would not sound like a radial...and radial engines have the sound that most closely match my aviation heart.

OBIO

3000 Watts of stereo, an MP3 player, some FS9 sound files, speakers on the wingtips.... worked in Apocalypse Now, should be good for a Goose....