PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is reloading software... :-s

Lionheart
March 18th, 2009, 08:15
Man.. It seems like everyone is reloading vista and reloading FSX this week.

Goodness!

I hope I dont get this....

I feel for you guys. What a pain it must be.

Bill

Dangerousdave26
March 18th, 2009, 08:23
Worse than that last week I went to Windows 7 beta just for the fun of it.

Over all the system is running as well on 7 as XP but other than install FS9 I have not done any real good flightsim testing yet.

Z-PurpleBubble
March 18th, 2009, 08:42
Well, Windows XP users don't have to reïnstall anything, because they run a decent, dependable OS. Vista is allmost a thing of the past.

Best to get rid of it.

Look at the corporate world, there are hardly any corporations that run Vista on their user's machines.

Vista merely is an abomination.

Sorry for the rant! :engel016:

PB

Kiwikat
March 18th, 2009, 08:54
I've got Vista and I'm not reinstalling anything.:173go1:

It is working as good as ever. :amen:

Lionheart
March 18th, 2009, 09:19
Well, Windows XP users don't have to reïnstall anything, because they run a decent, dependable OS. Vista is allmost a thing of the past.

Best to get rid of it.

Look at the corporate world, there are hardly any corporations that run Vista on their user's machines.

Vista merely is an abomination.

Sorry for the rant! :engel016:

PB

I feel your pain PB.. Thats why I am now an Apple owner. They allow XP on their machines. Loads right up. (It also gave me a chance to see a competitor OS and Apple OSX blew me away... Awesome awesome awesome.... )

I hope Win7 is much better. All the WinPeople need a brake from the issues..

Bill

Kiwikat
March 18th, 2009, 09:31
I hope Win7 is much better. All the WinPeople need a brake from the issues..

Bill

Please find one issue I am having with my Windows Vista install. Same with Ubuntu. Same with FSX too.

Crusader
March 18th, 2009, 09:47
I could'nt agree with you more Bill . I hav'nt reloaded VISTA or FSX but I did spend fourteen hours last Saturday and ten or eleven hours Sunday putting a second installation of FS9 on another external HD . I now have one with strickly CalClassics and props only and second FS9 with primarily jets using the majority of MAIW packages . I did'nt realize just how many MAIW has cranked out until I started downloading and and installing . My wife uses the word "Obsessed" . Wonder what she means by that ?:icon_lol::typing: I do fly FSX due to its excellent scenery but usually low and slow and near water . The water in FSX is excellent .

Rich

I did'nt mean to get off topic here but what I've read Moe has been going through with VISTA SP2 I am sure I'll just wait until Windows 7 comes and hope like the rest of us .

n4gix
March 18th, 2009, 10:31
Man.. It seems like everyone is reloading vista and reloading FSX this week.

Probably only those who're "trusting enough" to have left "automatic updates" turned on!

I check for updates manually, and only install 'em after I've had a chance to see if they will cause problems...

I also manually create a Restore Point immediately before installing any updates... :whistle:

Willy
March 18th, 2009, 10:47
I haven't reloaded Vista or FSX, but then I'm still running XP and FS9 :d.

Wing_Z
March 18th, 2009, 11:10
I haven't reloaded Vista or FSX, but then I'm still running XP and FS9 :d.
Best reason I've heard to date...:Banane57:

GT182
March 18th, 2009, 12:30
Bill, if you load Windows XP on an Apple computer do you have to register it with M$? Never owned an Apple computer so all I know about them is what you guys here say.

Gregory Paul
March 18th, 2009, 15:46
I'm running Windows 7 and FS9 and FSX. I don't have any problems to report. I did not have any problems with Vista I just wanted to try Windows 7. I have to say I like Vista

Lionheart
March 18th, 2009, 17:17
Bill, if you load Windows XP on an Apple computer do you have to register it with M$? Never owned an Apple computer so all I know about them is what you guys here say.

Hey GT182,

Yes you do. I had purchased my WinXP online via a dealer on Ebay; new package, sealed, inexpensive.

With Apples and MacOSX, they have this builtin program called BootCamp. You go through the setup, assign the area size on the HD to be the Windows zone, put in the Windows Disc(s) and off you go.

When you are done, in Windows, you click on the BootCamp symbol and select 'Reboot in MacOSX'.. In the Mac side, you select 'Reboot in WinXP'.

OSX is crazy fast. No lag time. Everything is practically instantaneous. I do have animations and things turned on though. I have this menu bar at the bottom with icons of fave programs, and I click them and they hop about 3 times and then the program pops up. With Windows, I will have to wait a moment for programs to bootup, like Windows Office, etc. In Mac, their Office programs come on practically instantly.

Totally different atmosphere in that thing..

But then my work programs, like FS, Gmax, Photoshop are all in WinXP side, arrghh..

Bill

Kiwikat
March 18th, 2009, 18:16
OSX is crazy fast. No lag time. Everything is practically instantaneous. I do have animations and things turned on though. I have this menu bar at the bottom with icons of fave programs, and I click them and they hop about 3 times and then the program pops up. With Windows, I will have to wait a moment for programs to bootup, like Windows Office, etc. In Mac, their Office programs come on practically instantly.

Totally different atmosphere in that thing..

But then my work programs, like FS, Gmax, Photoshop are all in WinXP side, arrghh..

Bill

Yeah my Office programs all come up in around a half second, whether it be powerpoint, excel, word, or access. Even something more complex like visual studio loads in around 1.5 seconds. About 2-3 seconds average for Photoshop CS3 Ext.

There's a totally different atmosphere alright...:173go1:

Cratermaker
March 18th, 2009, 18:32
I guess if you throw enough hardware at Vista, it will run quickly.

Kiwikat's sig: PC #1: Q9550 3.40 GHz | ASUS Rampage Formula | EVGA GTX 280 1 GB
8 GB DDR2 1066 RAM | 4 HDD's | X-Fi Titanium Pro | Vista Ultimate 64

Lionheart
March 18th, 2009, 18:45
Yeah my Office programs all come up in around a half second, whether it be powerpoint, excel, word, or access. Even something more complex like visual studio loads in around 1.5 seconds. About 2-3 seconds average for Photoshop CS3 Ext.

There's a totally different atmosphere alright...:173go1:

What kinda computer you boasting about KK? Is this thing nuclear that you have?

You're probably one of those guys that runs FSX at 90 FPS as well, right? One of the 1 percent?

:173go1:

Kiwikat
March 18th, 2009, 18:58
What kinda computer you boasting about KK? Is this thing nuclear that you have?

You're probably one of those guys that runs FSX at 90 FPS as well, right? One of the 1 percent?

:173go1:

Actually when it was stock w/acceleration, no addons, but at my current slider settings I was getting around 160 fps.:caked: With addons and my settings I have it locked at 36, and that is where it stays. Whether it be with the PMDG MD-11, Aerosoft F-16, A2A P-47, AlphaSim Blackhawk, or your (awesome) Epic LT. New York City? FTX Australia? No problem.

In the other game I play often, Counter-strike source, it isn't rare to get 200 FPS, but it usually averages around 160 or 170.

My computer isn't nuclear, but it is quite fast and it performs how I would like it to. Though I wouldn't mind one of those huge white wind turbines in my back yard to power it. :engel016:

However, even my computer can't stand up against the new i7's that people have now. It did cost me a decent chunk of money, but to find an equivalent in Mac-land would cost you more than double what my rig cost me, probably near triple.

I'll admit it is nice to get away from Windows. That's what I use my eee for :)

d0mokun
March 18th, 2009, 22:41
Hey, I have a run of the mill PC that doesn't give me issues with Vista:
E6600, Geforce 8800, 4GB RAM, Vista 32.

Office loads just fine with that, as does everything else. Hell my parents have Vista on thier £3-400 laptops and they seem to run quite fine.

At what stage can oneself actually stop and look for the root cause of an issue, rather than just blaming the OS? I realise that not everyone is having a silky smooth time with Vista, but out of those issues, how many are actually user-caused? I've not had a single issue with Vista 64 on my current work platform. Not a single issue.

OF course it could just be WinME v2. But then I was probably responsible for half the cock ups when I used that OS, too.

RickN
March 18th, 2009, 23:11
Funny thing is that I had good luck with ME. Much better then I have had with Vista. I even had a relative make me take Vista off her PC and install ME. ( Yep still got a few ME disk around ) That is three relatives that have had me pull Vista.

I see several people mention Office, how many of you have tried Open Office? We are running it on several computers and everyone likes it so will be moving all our systems to it. Besides free is good.

Kiwikat
March 19th, 2009, 04:09
Funny thing is that I had good luck with ME. Much better then I have had with Vista. I even had a relative make me take Vista off her PC and install ME. ( Yep still got a few ME disk around ) That is three relatives that have had me pull Vista.

I see several people mention Office, how many of you have tried Open Office? We are running it on several computers and everyone likes it so will be moving all our systems to it. Besides free is good.

It is pretty rough putting a perfectly good operating in the same sentence as that atrocity, ME. I was lucky if it bluescreened only twice a night. That is hands down the worst piece of code EVER written.

I've got open office on my EEE. I haven't really used it for any work but I've explored it some. It seems like a decent alternative to MS office.

Lionheart
March 19th, 2009, 08:31
Well Im glad vista worked for some people. It sure didnt for me. I have never been so let down in an OS ever. I had so many problems and issues with that mess.

Open Office is brilliant! I have that for both WinXP and Mac OSX. The Word version of their program can compile to PDF format. Very nice..!

So, KK,

What is an EEE?

And is it also nuclear powered?

Kiwikat
March 19th, 2009, 09:49
Open Office is brilliant! I have that for both WinXP and Mac OSX. The Word version of their program can compile to PDF format. Very nice..!

So, KK,

What is an EEE?

And is it also nuclear powered?

That is a really neat feature. I wish MS Word did that...

The EEE is a netbook from ASUS. I got a 1000H model for 330 dollars. I wish it were nuclear powered, maybe then I would get more than 3 hours battery life. It runs Ubuntu Linux very nicely. I'm considering putting in my old 7200 rpm drive from my old laptop to see if it helps with boot and loading times.

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/ASUS_Eee_PC_1000H_live_1_original.png

RickN
March 19th, 2009, 14:28
It is pretty rough putting a perfectly good operating in the same sentence as that atrocity, ME. I was lucky if it bluescreened only twice a night. That is hands down the worst piece of code EVER written.

I've got open office on my EEE. I haven't really used it for any work but I've explored it some. It seems like a decent alternative to MS office.

The trick with ME was to uninstall any crapware the PC maker had installed and defrag on a regular schedule. If you take care of ME it runs just fine. It also should have been setup to use more memory.

Personally we are slowly moving almost all our systems to Linux. Mandrake is the version most of my employees seem to prefer and I expect to have it done around the end of the year. We just have to decide on an accounting program and move all our data to it.

That will leave us with just two PCs running Windows ( the wife and my gaming PCs ) and I am hanging onto XP as long as I can for those systems.

Lionheart
March 19th, 2009, 15:26
The trick with ME was to uninstall any crapware the PC maker had installed and defrag on a regular schedule. If you take care of ME it runs just fine. It also should have been setup to use more memory.

Personally we are slowly moving almost all our systems to Linux. Mandrake is the version most of my employees seem to prefer and I expect to have it done around the end of the year. We just have to decide on an accounting program and move all our data to it.

That will leave us with just two PCs running Windows ( the wife and my gaming PCs ) and I am hanging onto XP as long as I can for those systems.

Dang Rick!

Linux is one popular OS. Thats wild to hear. I know Apple is getting alot of people asking for a way to run BootCamp to use Linux.

Thanks KK for the info on the EEE. Sounded like some secret weapon or something, lol..

I have a lappie I got a couple of years ago. HP, all white, looks like an Apple. It has vista on it. Took perhaps 2 min's to load up. I kid you guys not. I had WinXP installed, and that thing is freeeeking fast! Totally different laptop now. But it weighs a ton. I wish it weighed less so I could carry it around. Someday I'll replace it with a MacBookPro. :d

Bill

RickN
March 19th, 2009, 17:31
Dang Rick!

Linux is one popular OS. Thats wild to hear. I know Apple is getting alot of people asking for a way to run BootCamp to use Linux.

Bill

If you should end up with an older PC try putting Linux on it. Outside of not being able to run most games it is a great OS. Flightgear is available for most Linux and on Mandrake you can tell the computer to fetch and it will download and install it for you.

Or just want to play around with it you can download and burn a live CD and run it from the CD. It loads a lot slower that way but you can check it out without screwing p your system. The directions and links to any needed free software are on the sites.

Lionheart
March 19th, 2009, 18:00
Thanks Rick,

I'll definately check it out. Ive been hearing so much about it, Im dying to find out what its all about.

Bill

RickN
March 19th, 2009, 18:13
Check it out here. Note: I keep forgetting they changed the name on Mandrake to Mandriva.

http://www.mandriva.com/

We are using the Gnome desktop because it is about as easy as Windows, but without the cost and security problems.

Kiwikat
March 19th, 2009, 19:20
It is cool to see people using linux more often, whatever flavor it might be. I'm going to get another hard drive for my computer and partition it like 4 times and get different distros and check them out. Or alternately I could use my USB drive as a live CD... hmm...

I do believe open source will be the next big thing to hit computers.

FAC257
March 20th, 2009, 09:33
Funny to see this thread topic.

I've been "away" for a few days as last weekend I finally started getting repetitive messages popping up that I was seriously low on HD space. My old 74GB WD Raptors were choked. On Saturday I had to start unloading aircraft just to get back up to 2 GB of freespace on the C: drive.

On Sunday I ordered a set of WD 300GB VelociRaptors on the last day of Newegg's sale. They showed up at lunch time on Wedneday. I pulled both of the old Raptors out that evening, slapped in the two new ones and NTFS formatted them so that I could start the wall-to-wall re-install of everything on Thursday. I wanted everything up and running and flying again by this weekend.

By the time I went to sleep last night I had XP Pro fully updated and back up to XP SP3, all system drivers up to current, plus FSX all the way back up including all of my payware aircraft, flightsim utilities and scenery.

I'm sitting here at the moment waiting on the current defrag to finish so that I can throw in the last few odds and ends non-flight sim stuff and she's done.

It might be an odd thing to say but I love the whole re-format and install process. I knew that two new hard drives were in the near future but hadn't picked a solid date until those messages started popping up. Having to get rid of aircraft to open up space was the tolerance threshold. I know it also sounds weird to some, but I find FSX light years easier and faster to get back up to full speed than re-installing FS9 ever was. That's even with having more payware aircraft, utilities and scenery for FSX than I ever did for FS9.

To new things I see so far:
1. I realize now that about 80% of all the racket coming of my computer case has been my old Raptors and not the 12 cooling fans in there that I had been blaming. What a difference in noise level.

2. Waiting for a 300GB defrag to finish is agonizing. I defrag constantly, so that 's going to take some getting used to. :)

Drake
March 20th, 2009, 10:12

ME's networking was a joke. Sometimes it would work, other times it was like it didn't even exist. ME was a step back from 98.

Lionheart
March 20th, 2009, 12:28
My nephew and I were talking. He was wanting to know how difficult it is to actually make a OS.

It got me thinking as well, lol..

Imagine taking parts of various OS's and piecing together a custom OS. Sort of like taking various car parts and building one car from them.

Could be interesting... LHOS... :d

That thing would be so lightning fast....!

Bill

RickN
March 20th, 2009, 12:39
ME's networking was a joke. Sometimes it would work, other times it was like it didn't even exist. ME was a step back from 98.

We used it on a network of a dozen computers for several years without a single problem related to the OS or computers. Of course the first thing I did with any computer was to install an OEM copy of ME without all the crapware that came with factory computers. I seriously think all of ME's problems were related to other software not working properly with it.

That and I posted before it should have been designed to use more memory. I always used the work around to install 1gb of ram and it always seemed to make a difference.

stiz
March 20th, 2009, 13:57
i really dont know how some people have to contanstly keep reinstalling things! since i've reinstalled xp (new HD, bout sep last year) i've hardly ever defragged (prolly around 6/8 times), never had to reinstall fsx or any other program, havnt had any viruses, i let the hamster thats running inside me pc go out on the town every weekend, no reg cleaners, couple virus+spyware scans, no driver cleaners when updated graphic card drivers etc, and its still working fine *waits for it to all go pearshaped*

so my question is .... what makes you guys so good at breaking things?, are you all like my dad who just cant help but fiddle?? :173go1::monkies: :ernae:

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2009, 18:29
so my question is .... what makes you guys so good at breaking things?, are you all like my dad who just cant help but fiddle?? :173go1::monkies: :ernae:

I've wondered that too...