PDA

View Full Version : Boy ETO sure is pretty!

fall_ryan
March 17th, 2009, 17:29
I've been out of CFS for awhile, busy playing shooters and racing, looked around at OFF, decided I didn't have the $$ for it right yet, found ETO and wow, what an update.

Still, the update is costing me, I seemed to be able to get avg 25fps on Med-High settings at 1024x768 but no more. I have a pretty low end Nvidia 6200 128meg card and a gig of ram, 2ghz P-IV, basic 6 year old machine.

Are there any special tweaks I may have missed?

Nothing like popping in a Tempest or a Jug and chasing the Hun around though, scored a pair of 262 kills last night, for whatever reason they just don't get that they need to not try and turn fight against a Piston engine fighter.

Squiffy
March 17th, 2009, 22:39
Sure, leave your aircraft detail high, set terrain to 4, then hack scenery to 2, effects 1, and clouds 1. They look pretty good anyway. Scenery is the big killer on our vintage machines. It's the models and detail. If you had a bigger vid card and another g of memory you'd be even better. I run a 512M card and 2G memory. The docks are what really kill frames for me. Try to avoid them for best rates. They may be slimmed down in the next update.

Pat Pattle
March 17th, 2009, 22:47
:welcome: ryan,

In the Assets/highres dds folder is a file called scenerysheet01 together with a low-res version, rename them so the smaller of the 2 files is called
'scenerysheet01.dds' it should be about 2.7mb.

Also, get Ken Salters fsautostart;

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml

it takes a few mins to set up and will save you fps in all your sims & games

Cheers,

Pat :)

wsmwsm
March 18th, 2009, 12:55
Does AutoStart work in Vista or just XP?

fall_ryan
March 18th, 2009, 17:55
Thanks for the tips Pat, Squiffy. I've got FSautostart working, I haven't figured it all out yet though. LOL

Seemed to gain few FPS between that and what else was mentioned.

Part of me wants to say you used to be able to trick CFS by extracting the big terrains zips and renaming the file folders with a .zip at the end, Didn't work for me? I don't even remember if it worked back in the day.

The new update looks like it's gonna be cool, gonna hold off downloading more planes, LOL. Most of what I've been getting is in it.

Too bad theres no Allison Mustangs, I've wanted one so bad. LOL (3D modeling is painful for me and flight modeling sends me into terrors)