PDA

View Full Version : Broke my FSX install

Brian_Gladden
March 17th, 2009, 17:14
I'm figuring I will have to do a completely new Install but I thought I'd throw this out to you experts.

After having run FSX with SP 1 since December, I installed SP2 yesterday...

Now, FSX gets as far as playing the music then I get the dreaded, FSX has encountered a problem window.

Do you think a delete of the cfg file would help? and if so, where does FSX hide it?

Brian

MCDesigns
March 17th, 2009, 17:20
You can try it Brian, might help.

The FSX.cfg is here by default (XP)
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

hey_moe
March 17th, 2009, 17:44
Which OS are you using?
I'm figuring I will have to do a completely new Install but I thought I'd throw this out to you experts.

After having run FSX with SP 1 since December, I installed SP2 yesterday...

Now, FSX gets as far as playing the music then I get the dreaded, FSX has encountered a problem window.

Do you think a delete of the cfg file would help? and if so, where does FSX hide it?

Brian

Brian_Gladden
March 17th, 2009, 18:08
Xp sp2

Meshman
March 17th, 2009, 18:13
Try using Control Panel's Add/Remove to uninstall SP2. Then rerun the installer and see if it catches this time. Have seen some postings where SP2 didn't quite get fully working.

harleyman
March 17th, 2009, 18:25
After the uninstall of SP2 defragg it good before the new install too... Plus delete and let FSX build a new config...

All said above...LOL Good luck..It should work just fine for you...

Bjoern
March 18th, 2009, 03:43
The safest way to upgrade is still a complete reinstall. Painful, I know, but less prone to errors than simply patching.

Brian_Gladden
March 18th, 2009, 06:07
Thanks for the advice guys.... Probably just do a complete reinstall. Since I have FS9 up and running as well, I rarely use FSX anyway, It taxes my system pretty hard.

Brian

Lionheart
March 18th, 2009, 08:13
Thanks for the advice guys.... Probably just do a complete reinstall. Since I have FS9 up and running as well, I rarely use FSX anyway, It taxes my system pretty hard.

Brian

Brian,

Sorry to hear this.

You can save some time by copy/pasting your aircraft and scenery and gauge folders over, (and what ever else tidbits like Modules), to a new folder. I renamed mine, then ran Install again.

If you have a backup HD, you can backup FSX onto that, then drag and drop the aircraft, scenery, etc, back into your new FSX installation.

Bill

Brian_Gladden
March 18th, 2009, 08:27
My FSX is pretty stock other than some Payware gauges and aircraft. I can reinstall that easy enough. The big pain will be Ultimate Terrain but, still not too much of a major rework, just time consuming.

Brian

Z-PurpleBubble
March 18th, 2009, 08:45
Brian,

Forget about SP1 next time you install, just the sim, and SP2 will do nicely.

Hope you get your sim up and running again soon!

PB

harleyman
March 18th, 2009, 11:41
Brian,

PB

Say what??? Not install SP1 ??? Why? Never heard that before..SP1 has all the performance stuf does it not?

Kiwikat
March 18th, 2009, 12:46
Xp sp2

OMG someone's having a problem who's not running Vista!

I'm sure if it WERE Vista someone (you know who you are) would be quick to point that out!

:icon31:

Anyways I do believe you are supposed to install SP1 first then SP2. I think Acceleration has SP1 on it too, so if you happen to have that, just throw in the accel disk and you should be set.

Bjoern
March 18th, 2009, 16:32
Brian,

PB

*Pushes the "You're wrong" buzzer*

SP1 contains fixes in areas SP2 doesn't cover, so missing out on SP1 would mean missing out on fixes from which FSX could benefit.