PDA

View Full Version : Graphite Powder, joystick action

jbtate
March 16th, 2009, 22:18
Went to a WalMart auto garage to help fix a leaking tire on my folk's car ...
While waiting, copied a backup key for my car -- on the counter, noticed a graphite powder tube for key lubrication and purchased it.
Later, I thought to try the graphite powder on my joysticks -- wow -- a couple of puffs, and they work better than new.
jbtate

lifejogger
March 17th, 2009, 05:14
Sounds like a good idea, has anybody else tried this?

GT182
March 17th, 2009, 05:17
Yes, it works great but don't over do it. ;)

"A little dab will do ya. Use more only if you dare." :whistle: :costumes:

Moparmike
March 17th, 2009, 08:46
Yup. Works good.
Powdered mica will do the same thing without the black smudges all over. Not something you find everyday though unless you reload your own ammo. :)

srgalahad
March 17th, 2009, 08:48
powdered graphite is a good lubricant but.. it's also a conductor so be careful where you spray it... around contacts and other electrical bits may not be such a good idea.

OleBoy
March 17th, 2009, 10:45
Sir Galahad, I was thinking the very same thing.

I'll recommend electrical contact grease or a spray. It keeps things quiet and keeps electrical contact areas clean and happy :wavey:

JoeW
March 17th, 2009, 11:02
Go to a hobby store that has model trans and ask for some powdered teflon. Just as good as grafite but doesn't conduct.

jbtate
March 17th, 2009, 23:05
Thanks for the cautions and alternative suggestions.
jbtate

GT182
March 18th, 2009, 05:03
Go to a hobby store that has model trans and ask for some powdered teflon. Just as good as grafite but doesn't conduct.

Heck, just save the teflon that comes off your pots and pans and use that. :costumes: Da Warden can't seem to remember to use plastic utensils in ours, so we have a lot of teflon to clean up. ;)