PDA

View Full Version : I'm the cook of the house. My concoction I call food

OleBoy
March 16th, 2009, 17:38
Years ago I was a bachelor. Later on, in the Army. I ate crap that made most stomachs turn sour. Here's a little somethin I been makin for years. If you dare eat it. Nah....it's good. In fact, it's damn good.

Now we're gonna mix up a batch of OleBoys "Chicken Frick-A-See"

Read through the recipe to figure out what you'll need for fixens :wavey:

Get out the electric skillet.

Add butter flavor Crisco to a depth of 1/8"

Grab yerself some red potatoes. Peel'em and then slice/chop them up to 1/2" - 3/4" cubes = (6) six cups.

Toss the potatoes in the skillet and add fine ground pepper & Lawreys seasoning salt. Leave the lid turned sideways to let out the steam. Let the taters cook on about 300 degrees till they just start to brown. Flip them over. Add pepper & Lawreys. Let them cook till golden brown. Turn the heat down to 250 and continue cooking until that are half raw. Drain the grease and put the taters in a bowl for later.

Add more butter flavor Crisco to the skillet. Leave temp set at 250.

Add to the skillet (12) twelve chicken thighs (minus skin & excess fat). Add fine ground pepper & Lawreys season salt. Cook till slightly brown then flip it over and season the other side. Again, cook till slightly brown. Flip it over again and then crank the heat to 350 and cook to medium brown. Repeat for other side. De-bone if necessary and place chunks of chicken in a bowl.

Drain all the grease out of the skillet.

Add (3) three cans of Cream Of Chicken soup & (3) three cans of water into the skillet. Mix well while cooking on 250 degrees. Cover.

Add (1) one cup of Sticky Rice to a pan and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn the heat down and simmer till water is absorbed. Stir when done.

Add all the rice with the Cream Of Chicken soup in the skillet. Stir in well.

Add (1) one 10-16oz bag of mixed frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, lima beans, yellow corn) Stir in well.

Add (1) cup (powdered) Cream Of Broccoli soup mix, along with another cup of water. Mix well.

Let the mixture simmer for 20-30 minutes at 250 degrees while stirring every 10-15 minutes.

WHILE THIS IS SIMMERING, IT'S TIME TO MAKE THE DUMPLINGS.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups whiter flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 TBSP soft margarine ( I use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
1 cup+ milk
Combine flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl.
Add butter. Mix well.
Add milk slowly while stirring. Continue adding milk and stirring to get the dough to a sticky texture with all ingredients mixed in.

*****Stir the mixture that's in the skillet real good one more time.*****

Time to add the dumplings to the skillet.

Scoop Tablespoon size dollops into the top of the mixture that's cooking in the skillet. Spread evenly. Bury in the mixture to cover.

Let cook for 20 minutes on 250 degrees till done, OR until the dumplings are cooked all the way through.

Enjoy one of my favs

:welcome:

EgoR64
March 16th, 2009, 17:55
:wavey:

That looks realy Good !!

I'm taking notes, as I do all the Cooking in our House as well !!

Gonna have to give this one a Whirl !!

Thanks for Sharing !!

:ernae::ernae:

OleBoy
March 16th, 2009, 17:59
It's real good. Everyone that has eaten it has never gone to the hospital, and are all still alive to this day:wiggle:

Let me know if you like it. I will share others with everyone.

Brian_Gladden
March 16th, 2009, 18:48
I do 98% of the cooking here too. Rose does the odd dinner now and again and is in charge of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners

Did some Pasta tonight and I was in a hurry, so I used some tweaked sauce from a can.

Brown up 1 pound of ground pork. season to taste with seasoned salt and "generic" Italian spices. ad a pinch of sugar and you have instant sausage crumble.

In the same pan, throw in another pound of ground beef and re-season.

Boil the pasta of your choice (I did Ziti tonight)

once the meat is browned, add two cans of the Hunts Tomato sauce. I use one can each of the four cheese and Meat flavored. add in two and a half tablespoons of sugar (Cuts the acid in the sauce) and simmer for about 10 minutes. if there is a bit of grease showing on the edges from the meat, I toss in a 1/4 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs. makes a very thick and hearty sauce.

Tomorrow night is chicken tenders marinated in Italian dressing grilled up and served with fetichini alfredo.

Yes, I'm on an Italian kick this week.

Lionheart
March 16th, 2009, 19:03
oh man you guys... Ganging up on my stomach! Its saying things to me...

COOOK THAT!!!!!

arrghh..

I did a good Chicken Fettuccinni the other night, stirring in some veggies as well.

I cheat alot now days and add bottled Alfredo sauce. (bad, huh.. ) Got to have the extreme garlic flavor though. I usually dice up chuncks of Garlic in mine.

I saw yesterday on Emiral Green (Bam! He has a new show out), and he leaves the Garlic in giant chunks (only cuts them in half a couple of times) and throws them in. This makes sense to me. I always carmel tons of onions in my concoctions and they turn into nothing (as they are mostly water) and if you cook Garlic with them, they lose their zeal.. So I started putting in Garlic later to keep the flavor strong..

Bill

<--- italian food FREAK!!! :faint:

OleBoy
March 16th, 2009, 19:04
It's not always how you cook. But more, what you cook and how you cook it. Italiano is good.

I've always been a "What can I find in the cupboards to cook and have it taste good" type. Spices and heat settings are the key to good food IMHO.

By the way, I haven't tried it yet but, nice Piper Super Pacer Brian. I've heard it's a winner

Willy
March 16th, 2009, 19:05
Me and Mrs Willy share the cooking around here. It was my turn tonite and I just did some BBQ hamburger with baked beans (canned) for a quick meal. Just brown some ground beef and mix in BBQ sauce and serve on buns. Most of my cooking is of the simple variety. Although I do pull out all the stops on a pot of chili or chimichangas though.

OleBoy
March 16th, 2009, 19:09
I think I've created a monster. Food is NOT a good topic!!:ernae:

Lionheart
March 16th, 2009, 20:53
Me and Mrs Willy share the cooking around here. It was my turn tonite and I just did some BBQ hamburger with baked beans (canned) for a quick meal. Just brown some ground beef and mix in BBQ sauce and serve on buns. Most of my cooking is of the simple variety. Although I do pull out all the stops on a pot of chili or chimichangas though.

Sounds good Willy..

So does OleBoys... Cant wait to get these recipe's going here..

Bill

OleBoy
March 16th, 2009, 21:01
Willy,

I'd love to try your recipe for the chili if you'd share

Brian_Gladden
March 17th, 2009, 04:46
Here's my killer Mac and cheese recipie...

Feeds a small army....

boil an extra large box of elbows, meanwhile, line the bottom of a large disposable foil roasting pan with Ritz crackers. dice up some ham.

when the elbows are done, place a layer of elbows over the crackers. then some of the diced ham and then a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. repeat as necessary until the pan is full, layering pasta, ham and cheese.

when the pan is full, add another layer of Ritz crackers and then sprinkle a little more cheddar on top.

pre heat the oven to 350 and then pour a pint (yes, a pint) of half and half or even better, whipping cream (This is NOT a heart healthy dish) evenly all over the pan, letting it soak in.

Bake for about 15 minutes or so or until the cheese on the crackers is browning.

Serve :applause:

I use Cabot VT Sharp shredded Cheddar (Expensive if you can find it outside of New England but they make it less than 20 miles from where I live so it's cheap here) but any other sharp cheddar can be used. White is better than the yellow stuff.

Brian

cheezyflier
March 17th, 2009, 06:29
those recipes look pretty good, i will be trying them!

maybe we need to have a recipe thread for everyone to post good ones that they want to share? i have some i know folks might enjoy...

OleBoy
March 17th, 2009, 07:20
Hey Brian. Your Killer Mac & Cheez sounds dang good.

Only one problem (for me) :icon_eek: It's plugging my arteries just thinking about eating it. Must resist. Muuust resissst :d :help:

leonross
March 17th, 2009, 07:53
OleBoy ,

My wife said she'll give your recipe a go as soon as she gets all the ingredients together .
It looks good .

Leon

brad kaste
March 17th, 2009, 08:08
"line the bottom of a large disposable foil roasting pan with Ritz crackers. dice up some ham."

Brian,...should you place the Ritz crackers down individually or do you crush them up a bit?

Lionheart
March 17th, 2009, 08:38
Man, that sounds good Brian..

You guys are torturing my stomach!!!

arrghh

Brian_Gladden
March 17th, 2009, 10:00
"line the bottom of a large disposable foil roasting pan with Ritz crackers. dice up some ham."

Brian,...should you place the Ritz crackers down individually or do you crush them up a bit?

Indevidually... sort of like a bottom crust.

Brian

OBIO
March 17th, 2009, 13:21
Here's my best recipe

Take 2 slices of bread and lay them side by side on the table. Open the frig. Dig around until you find the sliced lunch meat. Open the package and pull out 2 slices of meat. Place the meat on one slice of bread. Lay the other slice of bread on top of the meat. Using the palms of your hands, gently flatten the sandwich just a tad. Pick it up and eat it. Goes down well with a glass of juice or soda and a bowl of potato chips.

OBIO

RickN
March 17th, 2009, 14:16
My best recipe. Easy Meatloaf dinner.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix
2lbs lean ground beef.
1-1/2 cup oatmeal or bread crumbs.
2 eggs.
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce.
Large dash of picante sauce. ( I use about 1/4 cup, the wife is a lightweight )
Some chopped onion to taste.
Ketchup until everything is moist and sticks together.

Place in large lightly greased baking dish ( or spray with Pam ),
Shove down to one end. ( I use an 11 x 9 glass cake pan and it fills about half the pan )
Top with more ketchup. ( a nice semi thick coating )

Dice up a couple of large tators, a sweet tator and a few carrots.
Place in other end of pan.
Add a drained can of green beans or hominy. Which ever trips your trigger.
A few chopped onions is good too.

Cover the whole thing with foil and place in oven.
Go chase your wife around the house for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.
Come back and pig out.

The veggies are usually gone first but there is always leftover meatloaf for great sandwiches.

OleBoy
March 17th, 2009, 14:22
Sounds good Rick. I do something similar when out camping. Cept toss it all in aluminum foil and bury it in the coals of the fire.

I'll be trying yours out. I like the concept of it all in one pan. Why not? It all goes into the same place anyways...lol.

OleBoy
March 17th, 2009, 14:23
Here's my best recipe

Take 2 slices of bread and lay them side by side on the table. Open the frig. Dig around until you find the sliced lunch meat. Open the package and pull out 2 slices of meat. Place the meat on one slice of bread. Lay the other slice of bread on top of the meat. Using the palms of your hands, gently flatten the sandwich just a tad. Pick it up and eat it. Goes down well with a glass of juice or soda and a bowl of potato chips.

OBIO

Now THAT's originality!!:woot:

Willy
March 17th, 2009, 15:22
Willy,

I'd love to try your recipe for the chili if you'd share

I don't really have a recipe for it. It usually involves a pound or two of ground venison (ground beef will work too), some kidney beans, some black beans, diced up green chili peppers, chili powder, some tomato sauce and plenty of onion and garlic. I'm always doing it a little different and it's evolved over the years since I made my first pot of chili as a teenager.

My mom taught all us boys to cook and keep house. It's sure come in handy a lot of times.

cheezyflier
March 17th, 2009, 16:08
ok, i'll have to pull out a good one for ya's:

get a 3 lb pork roast, stick it in your crockpot. get a bowl, into it pour 2-
16 oz cans of jellied cranbberry sauce.mash it with a potato masher. add 1 cup of cranberry juice and 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves. mix it all up and pour it over the roast. turn the crockpot on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low. leave it cook and don't touch it no more for another 6 hours. you can go longer if you want it won't hurt anything. anyhow, you can skim the fat off of the juice afterwards and add some cornstarch to make a sweet gravy if you want to.

OleBoy
March 17th, 2009, 16:32
That's what I'm talkin bout. Diggin out the ole family recipes. and sharin the fat ~so to speak~:friday:

Brian_Gladden
March 17th, 2009, 17:08
ok, i'll have to pull out a good one for ya's:

get a 3 lb pork roast, stick it in your crockpot. get a bowl, into it pour 2-
16 oz cans of jellied cranbberry sauce.mash it with a potato masher. add 1 cup of cranberry juice and 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves. mix it all up and pour it over the roast. turn the crockpot on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low. leave it cook and don't touch it no more for another 6 hours. you can go longer if you want it won't hurt anything. anyhow, you can skim the fat off of the juice afterwards and add some cornstarch to make a sweet gravy if you want to.

Got a pork tenderloin roast in the freezer right now..... Mmmmmmm, Gonna have to try this one

Brian

RickN
March 17th, 2009, 18:48
Sounds good Rick. I do something similar when out camping. Cept toss it all in aluminum foil and bury it in the coals of the fire.

I'll be trying yours out. I like the concept of it all in one pan. Why not? It all goes into the same place anyways...lol.

That and the juices from the meat add flavor to the veggies. Just be sure to use the leanest ground beef you can find. I do not know if they have it in your area but a company called Nature Well sells ground beef in 2lb tubes that has no additives and is so lean you do not need to drain it after cooking.

EDIT: The wife says I have to include her second favorite dish I cook.

Rick's Very Easy Hawaiian Chicken Boobies.

Take boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut off any fat. and place in a baking dish.
Cover with Lawrys Hawaiian marinade and cover the dish with foil.
Place in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking. ( I sometimes do it the night before )
When ready to cook preheat oven to 350 degrees and then cook for 1 hour. 45 minutes if you like your chicken a little less done.

Serve over white rice with your favorite Chinese veggies and egg rolls.

Note: A good sweet and sour sauce really brings out the flavor.

EgoR64
March 18th, 2009, 08:58
Ya'll got some good stuff brewin,

One of my Favs, Not a Back Blast Area Clear Burrito - LOL - Unless ?

1-8-ounce can condensed Mushroom soup
1-cup - sour cream
3-chicken breasts - makes 4 to 5 big burritos
1-tsp - garlic powder
1-tbsp - Extra Virgin Olive oil
1-package of 8-large Burritos 10-12-inch in diameter, you can even get the ones the are colored. LOL !!
2- cups of graded chedder mild or whatever you fancy.
1-red bell pepper
1-yellow bell pepper
1/2-large yellow onion
1-tsp-lemon
3-tbsp of real butter, don't ruin it with that imitation stuff, your call.
Sea salt and Pepper to taste
Salsa, banana peppers, taco sauce optional
Dir -
# Cube up Chicken, fry in 1-tbsp of butter & 1-tbsp of Olive Oil, add grounded sea salt and pepper to taste, brown good, set aside in bowl.
# Fry bell pepper and onion in remaining 2-tbsp of butter, until soft or to your liking, add can of condensed Mushroom soup & sour cream simmer 5-10 minutes on medium heat - should be a little thick, add garlic Powder(if desired to taste), to give a small twang you can add a 1-tsp of lemon. set 2/3 of mixture aside. Add cooked chicken to rest stir in until even, reduce heat and add 1-cup of shredded cheese, turn heat off, mix slightly, get ya burritos and add mixter to your desired size(want to be able to roll the burritos up and fold on sides), this is where I would add banana peppers to mine and sweet peppers, place burritos into a non-sticky oven pan, add 1/4 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 or milk to rest of mixture or enough to loosin up the mixture slightly. pour on burritos, Add last cup of cheese to the top it off. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 30-minutes.
When done Add ye Salsa and server with Rice Pilaf or other favorites.

OleBoy
April 5th, 2009, 12:47
Anyone have anything new to share?

I'm doing a round of my Chicken Frick-a-see again. The wife was craving it...lol

cheezyflier
April 5th, 2009, 12:50
in a few min i'll edit this post to show my orange chicken recipe.

Lionheart
April 5th, 2009, 22:56
I have a wild Mac and Cheese recipe that I like to do.

Its a bit wild though. I have Cajun blood, so be warned, lots of spices.

* Empty a carton of Macaroni noodles from a Mac and Cheese box or add the same amount of pasta of your choice, preferably macaroni or same size. Add two cups water.

* Boil till adante' or cook in Microwave for roughly 777 seconds :d (Dont ask, it works).

* When done, let set for a moment so it absorbs the water a bit.

* Drain all but a tad of water out. Leave just a bit in there.

* Add two spritzes of Virgin olive oil to free up the noodles

* Then add some 'real' mixed southwest shredded cheese. I usually use two hand fulls.

* Next comes the spices; two strong shakes of Soy Sauce, 1 to 2 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning or at least Oregano, lots of pepper (lots), a sprinkle of salt (sea salt if you have it), 1 to 2 teaspoons of Garlic Powder (not Garlic Salt :eek: ).

* Next is the secret ingrediant. Tell no one.. Add in a good amount of pre-cooked 'Fried Onions'. I get them in a large red foil bag for about $2.00 at Wallyworld. They add some real Zest to the concoction.

* Stir for a bit, and serve.

Note; No milk, No cream, No butter... Still addictive though. No pacers required afterwords.

Note2; You 'will' indeed have bad breath. Onions with Garlic powder will make you a breath grenade...

Mods for enhancement; Add real chuncks (chunks, not diced) of Garlic. Add some low fat butter. Use ground 'largish' granuals of pepper from fresh peppercorns. Use a good grade of cheese. (I buy the mixed Southwest mix of Cheese, grated, at Costco).

mmmmm.............

Thanks again OldBoy for the Chicken recipe! Brilliant!

Bill

cheezyflier
April 6th, 2009, 06:04
ok, so i didn't come right back like i said, i got distracted :redface:

anyhow here is my orange chicked recipe.

2 tablespoons of orange zest (bout 3 oranges)

squeeze the juice out of the oranges, to make about a cup

add 1/4 cup soy sauce.

teaspoon of salt, tablespoon of brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper

pour it into a pan over 4 or 5 boneless skinless breasts, cook untill chicken is done, serve over sticky rice

- or -

put in a casserole dish and bake it all in the oven (not with the rice)
this makes the sauce a little stickier.

maybe next time i will give out a con pollo recipe. (i like to cook with rice)
although, i don't think i have posted any beef recipes yet.

OleBoy
April 6th, 2009, 07:48
Cheezy..

That sounds good. We also eat rice very often. My friend from Thailand and his family steam Sticky Rice for every meal. The last time I went to Costco there was a lot of different brands of rice. I hung around that area to see what the Japanese, Vietnamese, Laotians & Taiwanese would get. I finally told a lady I wanted good sticky rice, and asked for her recommendation. What she recommended was not sticky rice. Needless to say, it's getting used up. I'm about do for a restock.

What brand do you recommend that's real sticky?

I'm a bit naive on the topic.

Do you use a rice steaming basket. Or the conventional method on the stove?

cheezyflier
April 6th, 2009, 11:44
nishiki rice (or anything that says sushi rice) normally comes in a white paper bag. just don't buy grocery store brand, look for california grown rice if you don't want to spend the $$ for rice imported from japan. we buy the california rice alot, and it's pretty good. use just a tiny bit more water than reccomended on the package for maximum sticky-ness.

when it comes to rice cookers, there is only one brand worth considering. all others are pretenders.

http://zojirushi.com/ourproducts/ricecookers/ricecookers.html

Lionheart
April 6th, 2009, 12:03
Thanks CF for the recipe and the heads up on sticky rice...

<--- is a rice freak

I need to get a new rice steamer.. Radiated M-wave rice just doesnt cut it..

:faint:

MyassisDragon
April 6th, 2009, 13:29
If you can open a can, you can make this. It's easy, nutritious, fairly healthy and tastes good.

Mexican Bean Casserole<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
4 cups cooked brown rice
2 cans Green Giant Mexicorn (11 oz each), drained
2 16 oz. cans Delmonte stewed or diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1 16 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
1 16 oz. can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 or 2 cups shredded cheddar or cheddar-jack cheese (some like it cheesy, some not)
<o:p> </o:p>Chili powder and hot sauce (amount to personal taste).
<o:p> </o:p>
Mix above together in casserole dish. Top with shredded cheddar. Bake at 350 degrees for 35- 45 minutes.

Dangerousdave26
April 6th, 2009, 13:53
Holy Cow

I have been missing out.

Some times it is hard to keep up with everything that goes on here but this should be a Stickey...

The Sim-Outhouse Cook Book in the makings.

I think I will have to try some of these especially the killer Mac and Cheese.

Nice to see Boobies mentioned in the thread and it not need to be moved to the Cantina too. :costumes:

cheezyflier
April 6th, 2009, 15:08
dragon that's cool! it's a bachelor special and it looks like it will be awesome!

dave, i agree, it should be a sticky.

brad kaste
April 7th, 2009, 05:52
Here's a quick and tasty appetizer for that Easter get-together this coming Sunday. There's not much in the way of preparation and you'll come out looking like a prince when it's being served. Again,...it's an appetizer so plan it accordingly time wise...
~ARTICHOKE DIP~

1, Two (2) cans of artichoke hearts (drain and chop up to 1/8 size pieces)
2, Two (2) cups of regular mayonnaise. DO NOT substitute with 'mayo light' or Miracle Whip.
3, One (1) cup of Parmesan cheese.....grated. I use Kraft already grated.
4, Two (2) teaspoons of Digon mustard. (Please pass the Grey Poupon...)
5, One (1) teaspoon of dry onion
6, A couple of good dashes of Worcestershire sauce.

Mix the chopped artichoke hearts and reg mayo together thoroughly. Then add the other ingredients.
Pour mixture into large sized casserole oven dish. Mixture should be between 1"-Inch and one half in thickness. Not over one and half inches in thickness.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
DO NOT cover casserole dish with lid. Keep artichoke mixture open and exposed to oven heat.
Bake for around 20 minutes or so. Keep checking until the surface develops a golden brown surface. Once it becomes golden brown remove from oven. Let cool. Serve with Ritz or Triskette crackers or any other type of dipping cracker. I prefer the Ritz cracker.

The above recipe it the straight, unaltered recipe. However I like to 'doctor' up the original recipe a bit. I'll add freshly ground pepper,...plus a splash or two of Try Me Tiger Sauce or Pickappa Sauce. Even toss in a bit of Mrs. Dash this or that seasoning. What ever suits your fancy,...just don't go overboard in the beginning. Oh yeah,...I'll sprinkle a good shot of Parmesan cheese over the top before it goes into the oven. I add more than a teaspoon of dried onion,...more like 3 or 4 teaspoons
Enjoy!