PDA

View Full Version : How to make your controls more responsive: A Tweak

CodyValkyrie
September 27th, 2008, 10:26
This is a tweak that I HIGHLY recommend to everyone and also happens to work in FS9 as well as FSX.

Locate your fsx.cfg file (search it or go to /documents and settings/(username)/application data/microsoft/fsx). Open the file with notepad.

http://www.jaggyroadfilms.com/misc/pictures/filelocation.JPG

Under the [controls] section, add the following:
stick_sensitivity_mode=0

It should look like this if done properly:
[CONTROLS]
stick_sensitivity_mode=0

NOTE! Don't remove any other settings. Just add the line in directly below the [controls] section.

http://www.jaggyroadfilms.com/misc/pictures/cfg.JPG

Now, you are NOT done!

Go back into the simulator and open up your control settings. For your joystick (and rudder if applicable), set your sensitivity for all axes to HIGH. Set your Null Zones for 1, or close to one. Alternatively, you can manually adjust all the axes.

If you find it a little too sensitive when the stick is centered (it moves ever so slightly on its own), raise the null zone. Make sure the sensitivity of the control is at it's highest to give the FULL range of motion. Not doing so will limit the effect of your aileron, rudder and elevator. The sensitivity acts as a slider which adjusts the full range of motion. If set to 50%, then the aileron for example will only move within 50% of its full motion with full deflection of your joystick.

http://www.jaggyroadfilms.com/misc/pictures/Settings.JPG

You will now find your controls more responsive to smaller inputs. Making turns should be easier, especially slight inputs to adjust for course or otherwise.

Enjoy!

-Cody

Navy Chief
September 27th, 2008, 10:52
Nice tweak. I'll give it a try. Thanks. NC

bazzar
September 27th, 2008, 14:56
Yes null zones are important little things. They can cure joystick "wander" and put realism back into flying heavies. I's all a matter of toying with the sliders (in advanced mode) to get the effect you want.

There is an incredible amount of adjustment possible in this simulator. It always amazes me how many people keep persevering with the stock setup which could be entirely wrong for their particular system.

Providing you make note of each stage, you can have a lot of fun mucking about with these settings.

Nice tip.:ernae:

rcbarend
September 28th, 2008, 09:38
Good post on this (FS2002-) feature, that still works in FSX !
Although you probably know this yourself, maybe some additions for other people reading this thread, who perceive controller calibration/sensitivity problems.
Moreover, adding this stick_sensitivity_mode=0 doesn't always do what you might expect (there are side-effects).

First and foremost: make sure you have calibrated your controller(s) axis properly under Windows, either using the Windows GameController setup or a "ControlManager" program supplied with your controller (yoke/joystick/rudderpedals/throttles or whatever). Because that's the basis of a good fine-tweak in FS.

The term "Sensitivity" of a controller axis is a bit ambiguous in FS; it can mean two things, depending on the type of axis:
1. The range of an axis, in terms of percentage swing, like -100% to +100% for axis with a logical center (e.g. elevator, ailerons, rudder) or 0% to 100% for axis without a center (e.g. toebrakes)
2. The speed at which the axis reacts to changes in movement.

By default, 2. applies to centered-axis (like elevator). Meaning that whatever Sensitivity or Nullzone you apply to that axis, the swing is always from -100% to +100% (provided the axis is calibrated correctly).
Where a low setting of the Sensitivity slider, makes the aircraft react more "slugglish" to changes of the axis.
What the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 addition changes: it makes axis-with-a-logical-center" behave like "axis-without-a-logical-center"
I.o.w.: the Sensitivity slider now affects range, not speed.
As you can see in Cody's examples.

An (unexpected ?) side-effect of adding stick_sensitivity_mode=0 is, that if you increase the Null-zone slider (to create a "dead-zone" around the center), you also reduce the range of the axis (so you need to increase the Sensitivity slider to get the same range).

So it depends a bit on what you are trying to change on your controller axis "sensitivity", if the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 addition is usefull or not.
(depending how well you calibrated your controllers, and what type of "sensitivity" you are trying to change).

And to be complete :icon_lol: :
- You can even manually increase the range of an axis above the max Sensitivity slider setting, by editing the fs9.cfg (FS9) or Standard.xml (FSX) scale settings.
- The speed at which centered-axis react to controller changes:
--- Is always maximum (i.e. instantaneous), when you apply the stick_sensitivity_mode=0.
--- Is the same as setting the Sensitivity slider to Max without using stick_sensitivity_mode=0.
- The registered version of FSUIPC even adds the option to make the axis response on controller changes non-lineair.

Personally (I use a yoke, joystick, and several other home-build controllers like thottle quadrant and rudder pedals), I don't use the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 addition anymore. IMO, when your controllers are working properly and are well-calibrated, the only reason for using it is to compensate for imperfections of an aircraft's flightdynamics (like too sensitive groundsteering).
And have all my controller axis set with a max. "Sensitivity" slider and a very small "nullzone" (to overcome "jitter" on the physical axis).

But again, it's a feature that might help to correct some imperfections on controllers / controller calibrations / Flight Dynamics design.

:ernae: Rob Barendregt

RCAF_Gunner
September 28th, 2008, 10:20
Cody, Rob,

Thanks for the tweak info. I was trying in vain to find out what the default (or =1 behavior) of the setting meant in the SDK. Maybe it's in there but I couldn't find it in a search. I use a non-FFB joystick as well as a yoke depending on which aircraft I'm flying. For either, the combination of the sprung centering point and what always seems to be way too much elevator sensitivity initially after the center point (even after calibrating) has always been a challenge to get dialed in. A larger null zone just seems to delay the effect but I've had some success by reducing sensitivity ~ it still doesn't seem quite right though. I like the idea of a graduated curve (something I use to use in RC helicopter flying) so I may have to check out the registered version of FSUIPC.

Cheers,
Rick

CodyValkyrie
June 30th, 2010, 19:43
Just wanted to bump this. I was looking for this tweak on a build I put on a new hard drive and was just "finishing" things up. I have always found this tweak a necessity. Since I am hosting the images as well....

Of note on Rob's post. I'm using an old Sidewinder 2 that is getting long in the tooth. This keeps her feeling like new :)

Cheers,
-Cody

Cag40Navy
June 30th, 2010, 19:57
Thanks Cody! When i get the new computer, i will use this.

Snave
July 1st, 2010, 01:53
Cody, Rob,

Thanks for the tweak info. I was trying in vain to find out what the default (or =1 behavior) of the setting meant in the SDK. Maybe it's in there but I couldn't find it in a search. I use a non-FFB joystick as well as a yoke depending on which aircraft I'm flying. For either, the combination of the sprung centering point and what always seems to be way too much elevator sensitivity initially after the center point (even after calibrating) has always been a challenge to get dialed in. A larger null zone just seems to delay the effect but I've had some success by reducing sensitivity ~ it still doesn't seem quite right though. I like the idea of a graduated curve (something I use to use in RC helicopter flying) so I may have to check out the registered version of FSUIPC.

Cheers,
Rick

What is being described is, in simple terms, the difference between a NON-Linear and LINEAR response curve:

The default Cessna 172 illustrates this manifestly - in the VC move your controller slightly - you will observe little or no movement of the virtual yoke. Move your controller a little bit more and the VC yoke responds. But move the controller past a certain point and the VC yoke responds with a larger range of movement.

The justification and reasons for this are also simple - the range of movement on the typical joystick is around 20-30 degrees. The in-sim yoke moves around 180-190 in most cases, more in some. The only way to replicate this is to have the controller and virtual controller move at different rates

What Stick_Sensitivity_Mode=0 actually does is remove that non-linear response curve, and replace it with a linear one. As you can see from the above, this is perfect for those with yokes that closely approximate the full range of travel, but frankly useless on a stick, unless you do have the ability to adjust the sensitivity to still be able to achieve the full range of movement - because the movement of the in-game control SURFACE, is slaved to the movement of the VC stick or yoke, NOT the movement of the real controller. If you use this mod without understanding what it does, you can reduce the range of movement in the game by upwards of 30%. Fine for a GA or tubeliner, potentially disastrous for a military bird or aerobatic aircraft where you will dampen response and reduce total available surface travel. Try it with the default 172 with no other changes and you can witness the result first hand - the VC yoke will now move about 20-30% LESS, and won't reach the extremes of travel - so neither will your ailerons or elevator.

Moreover, if you have a need for the .cfg file addition, then the real solution you need is definitely FSUIPC in payware form, as modification of the response curve is precisely what its advanced calibration pages permit - not just `on` or `off` as with this `all or nothing` mod, but any combination and variation - including creating different slopes and curves for the different control surfaces - elevator, aileron, rudder. And for different aircraft on an individual basis, if needed.

However, as Rob suggests, most `problems` can be solved by proper calibration of the controller you use - not just by using the basic software, as suggested, but specifically by matching null, response rate and response range to the IN-GAME virtual controller. ALWAYS do this before even contemplating this addition, UNLESS you are using a yoke with a near-full range of replication. In my experience, almost ALL `over sensitivity` complaints have actually resulted from UNDER sensitive settings, leading the simmer to move the controller further, faster, which simply serves to move its response to the faster, higher rate - so appearing to be over sensitive when the opposite is actually true.

One final tip: The mod does not work at all well on helos.

Hanimichal
July 1st, 2010, 03:12
full sensitive, no null zone (only for rudder if you not have pedals)
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1743/semttulo2qh.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/i/semttulo2qh.jpg/)

and
FlusiFix06

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9496/semttulo2t.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/semttulo2t.jpg/)

skyblazer3
July 1st, 2010, 12:44
I've been using the stick_sensitivity=0 for a long time with wonderful results. I use it for formation flying and formation aerobatics with very little problem. The great benefit of the system is that control response is linear and thus predictable. When I lead formation aerobatics this helps me pull exactly the right about of Gs and it helps me be very smooth on the pull and the ease of the pull. It really is a must for leading formation aerobatics; it is also very nice on the wing, as you will not over-correct on the pull or bank.

However, as others have mentioned, this does dampen the overall ability of the aircraft to pull to its maximum deflection. To counter this, I take the aircraft I will be flying up to corner speed, and then pull as many Gs as I can. Leaving the axis sensitivity in place, I adjust the null zones to give me more or less Gs. I find that 5.5-6 Gs at corner speed is more than I will ever need in formation aerobatics, but enough to allow me to get out of a bad spot. Since I fly the section F8 Sabre 95% of my time on FSX, I have my settings calibrated for that aircraft, but occasionally I will re-calibrate for an F-16 or a T33, etc.

Cheers,

Chris

CodyValkyrie
July 2nd, 2010, 14:55
I've been using the stick_sensitivity=0 for a long time with wonderful results. I use it for formation flying and formation aerobatics....

Chris

This is where I first learned to use this mod, was for formation flying. My crew and I all found that it was essential for aerobatic formation flying.

CodyValkyrie
March 15th, 2012, 20:27
Well, I applied this again. Thought it might be time to rejuvenate the thread. Sorry if I spammed.

roger-wilco-66
March 15th, 2012, 22:58
No worries, thanks, I missed this that thread somehow.
Did you ever try LINDA? You need a registered FSUIPC for that though. I've solved many controller problems I've had with this tool. Most of them were / are related to over sensitivity.

http://fs-linda.com/

Modules for different aircraft:

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/427-linda-downloads/

The biggest problem, in my experience, is that you should have different profiles for different aircraft, and that the deflection of the stick / rudder is too sensitive. One can watch that by going into spot view with the aircraft sitting on the ground, then put e.g. the rudder slowly into full deflection. When one's at say 30% travel on the rudderpedals and on the a/c it already is maxed then it's clear why one's all over the place while taxiing/getting airborne, snapping out of rolls, or produce spectacular but unintended Lomcovaks.
I think that carefully adjusting and tuning the controls is most important for a good flying experience in FSX.

Cheers,
Mark

keeg1483j
May 23rd, 2016, 06:33
This is a tweak that I HIGHLY recommend to everyone and also happens to work in FS9 as well as FSX.

Locate your fsx.cfg file (search it or go to /documents and settings/(username)/application data/microsoft/fsx). Open the file with notepad.

http://www.jaggyroadfilms.com/misc/pictures/filelocation.JPG

Under the [controls] section, add the following:
stick_sensitivity_mode=0

It should look like this if done properly:
[CONTROLS]
stick_sensitivity_mode=0

NOTE! Don't remove any other settings. Just add the line in directly below the [controls] section.

http://www.jaggyroadfilms.com/misc/pictures/cfg.JPG

Now, you are NOT done!

Go back into the simulator and open up your control settings. For your joystick (and rudder if applicable), set your sensitivity for all axes to HIGH. Set your Null Zones for 1, or close to one. Alternatively, you can manually adjust all the axes.

If you find it a little too sensitive when the stick is centered (it moves ever so slightly on its own), raise the null zone. Make sure the sensitivity of the control is at it's highest to give the FULL range of motion. Not doing so will limit the effect of your aileron, rudder and elevator. The sensitivity acts as a slider which adjusts the full range of motion. If set to 50%, then the aileron for example will only move within 50% of its full motion with full deflection of your joystick.

http://www.jaggyroadfilms.com/misc/pictures/Settings.JPG

You will now find your controls more responsive to smaller inputs. Making turns should be easier, especially slight inputs to adjust for course or otherwise.

Enjoy!

-Cody

I tried this in FS9 and it made things worse. I'm new here and not sure if this is where I reply

keeg1483j
May 23rd, 2016, 06:37
I tried this in fs9 and it made things worse so I tried setting to stick_sensitivity_mode = ! and that helped a little. What am I doing wrong. I have the sensitivities set as you suggested but my ch yoke is still slow and sluggish

Obie311
May 23rd, 2016, 22:04
Since someone else has rejuvenated this thread, I'll ask a question of CodyValkyrie.

I just got FSX-SE installed on a new machine and I run FSUIPC for all my controls except Pan View. I noticed I had stick_sensitivity_mode=0 in previous configs. Is this still necessary with Steam and FSUIPC? Also what's the consensus for HIGHMEMFIX in Steam? Did Dovetail Games fix this?

Obie