PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Iphone Apps

tigisfat
March 16th, 2009, 08:59
Are there any good ones? such as GPS? I'm thinking about buying one. Other than pilot Mycast, are there any other cool apps for other phones?

Cratermaker
March 16th, 2009, 09:13
I'm not sure how well it would work as a simulated GPS. There are apps, but they use cell phone towers and wi-fi access points to determine location. I'm not even sure it would work at altitude. It's not true GPS. I did a quick google search and there seems to be a lot of apps for geting METARS and similar pre-flight info. If you have an iPhone, then you have an internet browser, as long as you are in range of a wi-fi access point or cell phone tower. Just about any online flight planning or aviation tools should be available to you.

As far as stand alone tools like calculators and such during flight... not sure.

tigisfat
March 16th, 2009, 09:15
I figure that's good enough for a VFR aid in the texas backcountry. I can't bring them up on google for some reason. Any idea how much they cost?

Lionheart
March 16th, 2009, 12:39
Id say there are like 50 Apps approximately for pilots.

Go to Apple.com and do a search under Pilot App.

Then go to iTunes, go to Pilot App, and also search for aircraft, airplane, etc, and note all you find. You can also find checklists for planes (POS manuals), etc, for existing aircraft.

I believe there are a couple there for filing flightplans.

You'll see them all. I dont have iPhone though, only iPod Touch (similar but cannot communicate without a WiFi link), so I dont know about some of those. I have seen them though! Some nice software..

Bill

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 16th, 2009, 14:11
I'm fond of FlightPlan - all the usual calculations from an E6-B, plus a lot of other stuff like weather updates. No GPS. I assume you could get weather updates on the fly (har har) if you have it on the full fledged iPhone.