PDA

View Full Version : regional autogen help needed

grunau_baby
March 16th, 2009, 05:34
I want to change european autogen textures and if I change the texture files which have "Europe" in their title nothing really happens! Are the textures really divided into regions or do I have to change the general files which effects the entire FSX world? Does anybody have a clue which files to change to only effect european autogen??

Alex

Meshman
March 16th, 2009, 08:15
It's doable. How many weeks/months are you willing to allocate?

Go to your \Scenery\World\texture folder and look at all the files that start with a number. Those are the autogen texture files. You would then need to figure out which apply to Europe (probably over half) and then copy them to their own folder. You then can use the highly unintuitive Autogen Annotator from the SDKs to make your changes. Then you would need to make your own land class files for all of Europe to see your textures appear. Realize land class files are built by placing 1.2km squares over the terrain, so it may get a little tedious. As a comparison, there are over 5,800 land class tiles that make up the Big Island of Hawaii.

But yes, it's doable. Or the Euro version of Ground Env X is do out soon. Seems like a simpler solution?

grunau_baby
March 16th, 2009, 08:51
I found what I wanted! Trial and error, replaced the textures with singlecolored ones and looked inside the sim if I could see those inflight!

I am working on a simple texture replacement for european city autogen. Those wrong stereotype buildings - no modern shoping malls, no specific red brick houses, no citymansions from around 1900, etc. - I am gonna replace by phototextures. That is the plan. Since I can only take typical examples from my own region, I needed to locate the specific autogen textures.

I now know what to do, so I only need to collect picture material and then create new textures.

Thanks!
Alex