PDA

View Full Version : Tabasco Sauce, How many ??

EgoR64
March 15th, 2009, 09:32
I'm addicted to Tabasco Sauce it is the Universal Remedy to kill the taste of my Food.

It started in the Military, C-rates where on there way out MRE's where the new thing. The food was terrible, especially when you where tactful and could not use the Heating tabs or build a huge bon-fire using the army type insect repellent bug juice. All of us carried a bottle of Tabasco Sauce, Killed the taste of the food and kept you semi warm when it was cold.

To this day, I use it on almost everything, soup, eggs, steak, pasta, tacos, burritos, etc............

Gotta have it, drives me wife crazy, but is the only way I can deal with her bad cooking, lol !!

Any Fellow Tabasco Addicts Here ? :friday:

pointy31
March 15th, 2009, 09:38
I use it for mouthwash. The Tabasco factory is just up the road from here...:ernae:

jmig
March 15th, 2009, 09:40
I use it for mouthwash. The Tabasco factory is just up the road from here...:ernae:

:costumes:

Odie
March 15th, 2009, 09:41
It really kicks up the flavor of a pan-fried hamburger....ummmmm good !

And....in a close space, a normal sized bottle can serve as a good replacement for tear-gas ! I found that out in my youth unloading an 18-wheeler at the local Piggly-Wiggly (or as we called it, Hoggly-Woggly). A case was open near the very back of the truck and as my partner reached up to grab it, two bottles fell and broke....a few seconds later and we were exiting the truck !

Good stuff !:jump:

EgoR64
March 15th, 2009, 09:54

LOL !! Hallaluyaa, I'm not alone !! :ernae:

Odie,

Yes, Forgot the burgers !! Emmm Making me hungry now !!

:ernae:

Barvan40
March 15th, 2009, 10:03
You are not alone. I love the stuff and get the big bottles, the Habanero version they do is my favorite. It is hot but with lots of flavor.

TomSteber
March 15th, 2009, 10:12
Count me in too! Yes the Habanero one is good. But I still like the original best.

If I really want something hot... Then I pull out my Dave's Insanity Sauce.
A drop of that will bring most to their knees. A little will go a long way when adding it to foods.

Henry
March 15th, 2009, 10:18
Vodka and tabasco :ernae:
H

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 11:00
Love Tobasco sauce! I also have a bottle of Chinese style hot sauce...which is a lot thicker, almost mustard like...and hotter than the Devil's jock strap. But with a really good flavor....none of that vinegariness to it.

OBIO

AckAck
March 15th, 2009, 11:02
Count me in too! Yes the Habanero one is good. But I still like the original best.

If I really want something hot... Then I pull out my Dave's Insanity Sauce.
A drop of that will bring most to their knees. A little will go a long way when adding it to foods.

Dave's Insanity Sauce is pretty strong. My wife was making some chili, read the bottle ("add a couple drops"), then figured it was marketing hype. She added about a third of a bottle to 4 quarts of chili.... We had chili forever, because the only way we could eat it was take a scoop of chili and a can of pinto beans and mix them, so it lasted a long time. Probably for about 20 cans of beans (a scoop and a can of beans was about a meal's worth).

Brian

TeaSea
March 15th, 2009, 11:47
I don't care for Tabasco that much....so when I was going through Ranger School, I would give it to my Ranger buddy. He'd swap it to me for his coffee packets. I didn't notice at first, but he didn't use them, he just collected them.

As we progressed through the course, he amassed quite a bag full. Now, I have to tell you that this guy was pretty solid....nothing in the course seemed to shake him up or get him down...which was pretty unusual.

Anyway, we got a to a point where the instructors have you lay out all your kit and ensure you aren't hoarding any food anywhere. They found my buddy's Tabasco bag (I swear he had about 50 of these little bottles) and said, "hey Ranger, you can't have those" and took them away.

I turned around and the guy was just bawling...I mean real tears. It was like he was on the edge of a complete break down. Soon he did manage to get hold of himself and we went about our business.

Later we got another MRE, I gave him my Tabasco, and he gave me his coffee, and he started to collect his bottles again.

The day we graduated he had close to 70 or 80 in his little plastic bag. He chucked 'em in the trash on the way out of Ft. Benning.

Life is strange. :focus:

TomSteber
March 15th, 2009, 12:20
Dave's Insanity Sauce is pretty strong. My wife was making some chili, read the bottle ("add a couple drops"), then figured it was marketing hype. She added about a third of a bottle to 4 quarts of chili.... We had chili forever, because the only way we could eat it was take a scoop of chili and a can of pinto beans and mix them, so it lasted a long time. Probably for about 20 cans of beans (a scoop and a can of beans was about a meal's worth).

Brian

The first time I tried it, I took what I thought was a "small" amount.
Ya know the way we're all used to trying Tabasco (Maybe some drops in the palm of your hand). :faint:

I thought I was gonna die! Nothing would or could take the burn away.
Then the worst thing. About an hour later, I had an itchy right eye.
No, I had NOT washed my hands yet. Well, you all know the rest of the story. Must have got a small amount on my finger tip. I spent some time directly under the faucet!

After that, it was always a toothpick dipped into the bottle.

GT182
March 15th, 2009, 12:29
Not a big fan of Tabasco sauce per say but I've been known to indulge a bit. We use iit in our Michigan sauce for hotdogs and it gives a good kick to it. Also like it in a good Bloody Mary. Perks ya right up. ;)

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 12:48
I have a very high tolerance for hot foods...hot as in spiciness that is. Jalepeno peppers...I eat them like any other vegetable...and it is rare that I find anything to is really HOT!

A few years back, my wife and I went to the new Quiznos on the other end of town and got a couple subs....Chipotle Chicken subs were new and they had 6 inches for $2.99. I had the usual assortment of toppings...onion and jalepenos. Then I saw the sauce....Jimmy's Batch 81 Three Pepper Chili Sauce. I gave my sub a generous soaking with the stuff.

As we were sitting at our little table eating, my wife looked at me and asked if I was okay. I said Yeah. She goes "Your neck is turning red." She kept looking at me, and asking if I was okay...she said I kept getting redder and redder...like a thermometer...eat bite I took of my sub, the red creaped up a bit more.

I guess I got to the point that my entire head was red and beads of sweat were rolling down my nose. She looked at me, with real concern in her eyes, as asked again if I was okay.

At that point I had to say: If this sub were any hotter, I'd have trouble breathing"

A normal person would have removed some of the peppers, wiped off some of the chili sauce. Not me, I kept eating. That sub was among the top 10 hottest things I have ever consumed...and the last time that I really ate anything that I would consider to be hot.

OBIO

Moparmike
March 15th, 2009, 14:24
Mmmmm....Tabasco! Yup that's top-shelf ingredient in my kitchen. Depends on what I'm cooking, I've got the original, green, and habanero.

I see someone already mentioned Insanity. That one I can live with...haven't seen it around here lately, but we always kept a bottle of it at the bar for mixing bloody marys. Two drops would do a whole shaker and it works great in chili too.
The absolute killer for me was one called "Mad Dog" hot sauce. Has this cute little smiling yellow lab in a chef's hat on the bottle. I figured it can't be that bad. Well, two drops on a slice of pizza (as opposed to my normal 5 or 6 drops of Tabasco) and it just plain took my breath away. Way too much vinegar for my taste...although the heat level was right up there too! :d

OleBoy
March 15th, 2009, 14:37
Bunch of wanna be Mexicans. You want hot, try Thai food I always got served with a washcloth, battery operated fan and a two liter bottle of water...lol.

Moparmike
March 15th, 2009, 14:42
Bunch of wanna be Mexicans. You want hot, try Thai food

I like good Thai too.
But most of that I've gotta cook when I'm eating by myself...no one else here will touch it once I've had my hand on the stove.

Pure unadulterated heat is one thing...it's gotta have flavor to go with it though. Even if you're cooking something that will make both ends burn for days on end, it has to have flavor too. :d

I do understand TeaSea's friend in his post though. Those little Tabasco bottles are mandatory for MREs...ya gotta get some flavor in that stuff somehow!

OleBoy
March 15th, 2009, 14:52
I totally agree with TeaSea's friend. I was in the army for a few years and there were some that were obsessive with the dang Tabasco. That crap went on everything that got consumed almost. All it ever did for me was fry the taste buds!! for a week. Not too mention the occurrence at the other end:rapture:

n4gix
March 15th, 2009, 15:05
Okay, I'll confess that when it comes to "hot stuff," I'm a wimp. You see I actually like to taste my food... I even use "mild" curry when I make curried lamb, although I do use a lot of it! ;)

Toastmaker
March 15th, 2009, 15:15
I absolutely HATE Tabasco sauce - but there's a psychological reason for it.

When I was a dirty-mouthed little boy, my mother would hear me use a cuss word and my punishment was a few drops of Tabasco on my toungue with no water for an hour. I was traumatized, I tell you, TRAUMATIZED !!

Anyway, never again would Tabasco, or any other really hot sauce pass my lips again. . .

:help:

Railrunner130
March 15th, 2009, 15:28
I found Tabasco as a good substitute for those damn heaters in MREs. I use it from time to time, but not to blow my head off.

We used to make chicken sandwiches on the airplane. It was a standing rule that we had to have a bottle of Tiger Sauce for the chicken. It's pretty good as well. I also like my Tiger Sauce on steak.

Van Halen fans are (mostly) familiar with Mad Anthony Sauce, which (to me anyway) seems to have more flavor to it. I like to put it on skewered shrimp as I barbecue it.

OleBoy
March 15th, 2009, 15:51
HA Ha HA!!! That's funny Toastmaker. I've got a few memories of them days of the smarty pants years too

Cratermaker
March 15th, 2009, 15:56
I love trying different hot sauces and salsas.

Tobasco is one of my favorites: the original, the green, and the habenero.

There is no shortage of different ones to try where I live. One entire side of an isle in the grocery store is dedicated to these.

leonross
March 15th, 2009, 18:10
I love it .

Jagdflieger
March 15th, 2009, 18:14
Love Tabasco sauce and I've used it on C Rats, T Rats, Lurps (Long Range Patrol rations), MREs and Winter high calorie MREs.

Do any of you remember the old C Ration Tabasco cook books the McIlhenney company used to sent out to the troops? They had lots of ways to make the C Rats a bit more palatable.

Believe it or not, I've even used Tobasco sauce numerous times in Thailand.