PDA

View Full Version : best combat sim

brettt777
March 15th, 2009, 06:26
Okay so what is the best and latest flight sim that has real combat with modern aircraft?

GT182
March 15th, 2009, 09:07
I'd say there are 4 but not the "latest" released. I know, they are not "the" latest. But I've not looked for any of the newest. So forgive me if these don't meet your requirements Brett. ;)

Strike Fighters: Project 1 and it's addons.
Allied Force.
Falcon 4 and it's addons.
Lock On.

But then I'm a bit partial to the first three of these in my list that I do have. I don't have Lock On as it's from UBI and has StarForce copy protection in it.

pachi
March 15th, 2009, 10:41
Yea definitely Falcon 4 but there's a game called FreeFalcon that is free and its supposed to be a mod for Falcon4 but its actually more of a standalone so you don't really need Falcon 4, and it makes the game way better though still a little buggy

you can download it here
http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14530

LockOn is a really good sim, if you have LockOn and its expansion Flamming Cliffs in CD version you don't have to worry about Starforce,
and there are a lot of good addons for it that make the experience better, although due to its hard coding you can't add more flyable jets with their correct cockpit

Others are
IL 1946

DCS Black Shark
and of cource ETO :ernae:
mentioned but I guess those are just my opinions, try looking up the sims GT182 in youtube or in google and see for yourself

GT182
March 15th, 2009, 11:17
Thanks for that about Lock On Pachi.

I have IL2 1946 and fly that once in awhile. I did fly weekly Online MP missions with a group of guys but haven't in a long time. Computer problems and being burnt out kinda did me in.

hairyspin
March 15th, 2009, 11:54
Some people (who ought to know what they're talking about) think Strike Fighters 2 (Thirdwire) shows great promise. It works in Vista as well as XP if that's an issue for you. Haven't tried it myself yet.

strega13
March 15th, 2009, 22:46
these are by far my favorite ones :
falcon 4
IL2 series
flanker 2.5

ndicki
March 15th, 2009, 22:55
I have Strike Fighters 2 as the latest modern one. It's not visibly a huge step up on SFP1, but those who know about flight dynamics tell me it is the way to go, and back that with some very solid physics-based argument.

Meanwhile, it has numerous features which make it more user-friendly than SFP1/WOX, and it is globally retro-active, so it accepts most work done for the earlier sims.

popsaka
March 16th, 2009, 08:31
Thanx fer the heads up on Falcon 5... its a biggun tho' -over 1.1gig...

Yeah, everyone sez Strike Fighter is the guy, tho' poissonelly I'm jes barely able ta cope wit the skies o'er cfs3 Korea In between + g blackouts!--:kilroy:--

Pat Pattle
March 16th, 2009, 11:02
Best Combat Sim? That's easy.

CFS3 ETO 1.2

Other sims have some better features perhaps but I really think that the latest CFS3 versions are the most well-rounded.

As for flight models, well I've never flown a fast jet (or a slow one!) and if ANYONE could just climb into a real one and take off and fly into combat with it then I'd take my hat off to them. So much b.s is shovelled about fm's IMO :icon_lol:

Pat :)

ps Hiya Pops! Long time no speak, nice to see you around here again.

loverboy1
March 16th, 2009, 11:26
yessssssssssssssssssssssssss pat said it got it and is it .

my dribble again on ETO

ITS A GROUND BREAKING FORAMTT, DESIGNED AND UPDATED FOR THE REAL TIME AND ALL TIME MEANS OF REAL TIME

making the true come alive and the Forgotten, be RESURRECTED - to,fly and be to have the honour of men who have placed the world at our feet

graphics , effects, airfiles , missions , campaigns , made to the taste of the few to serve the many

in other words

long live

ETO

hairyspin
March 16th, 2009, 12:23
So much b.s is shovelled about fm's IMO :icon_lol:

Well when I've finished this Tempest, you can judge how much has been shovelled into mine!! :costumes: I've got the eye of newt, what bit gets set next??

ndicki
March 17th, 2009, 03:54
He did say "modern aircraft", by the way. ETO does not fit, no matter what you think of it.

Pat Pattle
March 17th, 2009, 04:25
He did say "modern aircraft", by the way. ETO does not fit, no matter what you think of it.

Depends what you mean by modern, out of the box the Falcon 4 and SF a/c are fairly old with some types out of service. Btw there are 'modern' a/c around for cfs3, I have a very nice Tornado from Discreet for instance. :)

popsaka
March 17th, 2009, 06:55
what's yer favorite interplanetary teleportation sim... er/uh is 'air' w/ no 'craft' still okay? :friday:*

*and so early in the mornin'...

ndicki
March 17th, 2009, 11:12
In SF2, I've got Gripens, Typhoons and all sorts of odd things. With IRMs, SAHMs and AHMs that work, not to mention HARMs and so on... With all due respect to Discreet, even he can't fix that aspect of CFS3. If it really won't, it really won't.

I'm working on a "What-If" Rhodesian scenario at the moment...

popsaka
March 17th, 2009, 14:29
Hey Nigel, those look really fine... your skins? and is there a SF2/SF community ya could recomend/post a link??

Pat Pattle
March 17th, 2009, 22:56
I have WoE and the Hunter is a beautiful model indeed, the cannon sound is spot on too :) ....that and the Fiat are not exactly modern though? ;)

There are a couple near us at Exeter airport and they regularily fly over my works, you can spot that engine growl from miles away!

ndicki
March 17th, 2009, 23:05
Yes, they are my skins. Hosted at CombatAce under Cold War/British Aircraft and Cold War/Ginas.

The best SF forum/download site is the place the OFF mob have gone off to, namely CombatAce. It's decent enough, although it tends to be less "pally" than this place - more Qs and As between those who know and those who don't. I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle by now!

Other good sites are:

http://www.column5.us/ Some of the very best addon aircraft and skins. Look out for the "Mirage Factory" stuff; it is not as good as the latest CFS3 aircraft by a long way, but it's still pretty convincing.

http://marcfighters.combatace.com/ Some very good skins in particular. But watch out, because he isn't always that accurate.

What SF really needs is modellers of the quality of Mathias or Greg Law...

Pat Pattle
March 17th, 2009, 23:57
Now this looks promising..the last 'proper' air battle;

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2484783/1.html

anyone know any more about this project?

ndicki
March 18th, 2009, 01:04
http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=23837&st=40

May help...

popsaka
March 18th, 2009, 10:00
WOW pretty nice stuff

Last edited by mikewmac; February 18th, 2006 at 06:55.. ...what the heck?? who's 'mikewmac"?

throbmaster
March 18th, 2009, 14:49
Okay so what is the best and latest flight sim that has real combat with modern aircraft?

well i love my Cfs3 but my head has been swayed to my playstation 3 and a great little game called H.A.W.X by Tom Clancy, great co-ops and even better 4 v 4 dog fights. great stuff and loads of peeps on-line playing.

throb