PDA

View Full Version : best combat sim

brettt777
March 15th, 2009, 06:21
Okay so what is the best and latest flight sim that has real combat with modern aircraft?

Odie
March 15th, 2009, 06:41
I believe Lock On: Modern Air Combat has a couple of expansions in addition to the main game for modern a/c. It's an older release but has some legs to it.

For sheer number of options/aircraft - the IL2-series for WW2.

Falcon 4 has new legs thanks to a modder-community (again an older game but with reworked/new campaigns)

It's been awhile since I've seen anything "new".....perhaps some of the other SOH'ers can chime-in.....:typing:

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 11:23
For sheer number of options/aircraft - the IL2-series for WW2.

For sheer number of options and aircraft, CFS2 is the way to go. Tons and tons of aircraft from the beginning of air warfare (WW1 in other words) all the way up to Vietnam (F-8 Crusader...The Last Dogfighter). With some work and downloading, you can have all facets of WW2 (PTO, CBI, ETO, MTO)...heck, you can even pilot a submarine and hunt and sink LIberty ships on their way to Europe. CFS2 does not do Modern Air Combat...no lock on, no air to air missiles (well their are air to air missiles, per se, but they do not lock on and track the enemy...simply timed to detonate after 8 seconds of flight or so).

ANd you should see the CFS2 world with Rhumbafloppy's new mesh sets. LOD5 and LOD7 that cover the entire world and is pretty darn accurate...more accurate than even FS2004 (I use the mesh in FS2004 and love the improvements)...and he just released a LOD8 set that covers the PTO and ETO areas for even more realism.

I can't make any suggestions on a good Modern Combat Sim, seeing as how my view of Air Combat always includes guns and being upclose and personal like. WW1, WW2, Korea, and slightly into Vietnam (that F-8 Crusader).

OBIO

stiz
March 15th, 2009, 11:41
for the modern stuff i'd say either Lock On (whic seems the most popular), Blackshark (but only if your whirley bird fan) or falcon 4 :wave:

Odie
March 15th, 2009, 11:42
For sheer number of options and aircraft, CFS2 is the way to go. Tons and tons of aircraft from the beginning of air warfare (WW1 in other words) all the way up to Vietnam (F-8 Crusader...The Last Dogfighter). With some work and downloading, you can have all facets of WW2 (PTO, CBI, ETO, MTO)...heck, you can even pilot a submarine and hunt and sink LIberty ships on their way to Europe. CFS2 does not do Modern Air Combat...no lock on, no air to air missiles (well their are air to air missiles, per se, but they do not lock on and track the enemy...simply timed to detonate after 8 seconds of flight or so).

ANd you should see the CFS2 world with Rhumbafloppy's new mesh sets. LOD5 and LOD7 that cover the entire world and is pretty darn accurate...more accurate than even FS2004 (I use the mesh in FS2004 and love the improvements)...and he just released a LOD8 set that covers the PTO and ETO areas for even more realism.

I can't make any suggestions on a good Modern Combat Sim, seeing as how my view of Air Combat always includes guns and being upclose and personal like. WW1, WW2, Korea, and slightly into Vietnam (that F-8 Crusader).

OBIO

Ack ! CFS always slips my mind, OBIO ! Thanks for putting it on the radar screen !